Friday, July 04, 2008



Happy Fourth of July, everyone. Do you have plans for today? A backyard barbecue followed by fireworks, perhaps? Time with family and friends? Are you hosting a get together?

We moved into our current house on July fourth 1993. Two friends helped us with the move, and that evening, we sat on our new deck and watched the city's fireworks exploding over the nearby park. In subsequent years, we attended the festivities down in the park, mingling with the crowd, sitting on the grass, stuffing dollars into boots passed along by volunteer firemen to help finance the display. Pretty soon, our children started coming down here for the event bringing their children and if there is anything more satisfying than holding a three year old you love while they gasp in amazement at the sparkling sky, I'm not sure what it is.

This year we'll watch from our deck again. No barbecue, no nighttime stroll up and down our hill, no crowds. The family isn't coming because we didn't invite them and we didn't invite them because it means two or three days of guests and that means two or three days of lost writing and I don't have that kind of time. I am under an intense deadline, the intensity of which just gets worse as the days pass and all my ideas seem to fizzle and all my research leads me no where. I feel rotten about this -- and in fairness, there are other issues at play, too -- but it adds another layer of stress knowing I am allowing the holiday to go by uncelebrated because of work. Because I agreed to a project complete with a ticking clock. Becuse I broke a promise to myself not to get myself in this position again.

Seems I forgot how to say no.

The worst part is this: knowing I put off family to be able to write, I now darn well better get a lot done. I better stop vacillating and chose a backstory, I better find a way to make this story and these people my own. My editor gave me until July 29th to produce three chapters and a synopsis. She'll be going to nationals and she said, "If you can, email it before I leave and I'll read it on the plane or bring it with you and give it to me there." I almost fainted when she told me that. Is it possible she doesn't know the cardinal rule about never handing an editor printed material at a conference? I wonder if she would mind if I chased her into the bathroom and handed it to her under the door...

Every job has deadlines that must be met. A waitress needs to get everyone in the restaurant served, an assembly line worker needs to get every product put together, a farmer needs to harvest every apple. I remind myself often that this is what I choose to do and if occasionally it drives me nuts, that's the way it goes.

The dh just reminded me that we just saw all or family and had a backyard barbecue and laughed and drank wine and for him, that was enough, I shouldn't worry. He's a good person and a kind one. What about you? Are you even looking at a blog on the fourth of July or are you off having a good time? Are you pinned to your desk because of an external deadline or perhaps an internal one like Paty's determination to finish her book by the end of this month? Do you feel guilty when you write or do you feel guilty when you don't write? Or are you a guilt free, sparkler waving, well adjusted American just taking it as it comes, where's the mustard?

Whatever, take a moment today to think about all the men and women serving far away from home, a moment to wish them a speedy and safe return. And happy Fourth of July.

21 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Happy Fourth, Alice!

No family, no frivolity. My dh is working today. I'm writing, have to make my 4000 words today.

We'll load up the flatbed and haul more stuff to Princeton tonight and spend the weekend there irrigating and building a porch on our cabin.

I carry guilt. In fact, I joined a gym a month ago and I've decide to cancel- I feel guilty spending money to do things I could do at home if I just got more motivated. I feel guilty it pulls me away from writing, and I feel guilty for driving to town to exercise when the price of gas is so stinking high.

Then I look at my house and feel bad it is such a mess, but if I take time to clean I feel guilty that I'm not writing. Not to mention the editing.

I know you'll make your deadline, I just hope you don't stress yourself out too much over it.

And yes, having a son in the military, I think about them a lot not just on the holidays but every day.

Alice Sharpe said...

LOL, Paty, That's what this really is about, isn't it? Guilt. Guilt, the great motivator is also the great obstacle. It helps nothing. Getting rid of it -- ack. I don't know how to do it!

The motivation you say you lack when it comes to exercising on your own is something you possess to the overflowing point when it comes to your writing. Maybe it not that you aren't motivated enough, maybe it's just that you can't do everything with the same degree of commitment.

It sounds as though you have a very full day planned. Weekend, rather. Good luck.

Mid-Willamette Valley RWA said...

Happy 4th, everyone! We have no big plans - just our annual potluck/volleyball game and fireworks in the cul-de-sac in the front of our house later this afternoon/evening. We've done this the last,oh, probably 10 yrs, and it's enough celebrating for me. I like being home, and this way the kids get to see fireworks (on a small scale) and participate. Generally, I sit in a lawn chair during the fireworks display, stabbing my fingers into the palms of my hands because I'm just sure some child is going to light themselves on fire. The DH is in charge of our kids as I do NOT do fireworks, but I still stress. I love the concept of the 4th of July - freedom for all - but I'm not big on the whole fireworks thing.

Alice, I carry guilt about writing when I'm behind - um, yeah, like now. I've not written much this week at all because I've been 1) busy and 2) stuck (as you know). Today while the DH is home with the gremlins I'm planning to take the laptop and escape to a coffee house for a few hours to hopefully get some pages in. If I don't, Nationals will end up being an expensive conference with me holed up in my room writing.

I hope everyone has a fabulous 4th!!!

Mid-Willamette Valley RWA said...

Ack! Sorry. That's me. I have no idea why I'm logged in as MWV - oh wait, must be because I was monitoring our online class today through our other account. LOL

Eli

Alice Sharpe said...

I was pretty sure that was you, Eli, and of course the "Gremlin" remark cinched it.

I know what you mean about Nationals. My editor told me to keep writing after I gave her the proposal and I could fix anything that needed fixing later. Just keep writing to make the Sept deadline. I should have had the brains to say, "You mean keep writing while I'm at Nationals? I should skip everything????"

My big plan is to get the plot settled this weekend. I'm not worried about the time as much as I am about the vast wasteland in my head.

Karen Duvall said...

Ugh, you guys, stop making writing sound so... depressing! 8^) My agent gave me more revisions on Wednesday, so I'll be working on those today and this weekend. It'll be fun. I'm looking forward to it, but I am getting antsy because I want to work on Mystic Taxi instead. Sigh.

My dh and I aren't big holiday people. We both look at holidays as time off, not time to celebrate. And since the kids are all on their own now, the 4th of July doesn't mean much to us celebration-wise. My husband has to work at the store, I have a big ad campaign to finish up, so all the 4th means to me is no mail and the banks are closed.

Paty, you're so dedicated! Good for you! That's terrific. And as far as the gym goes, I hear you on that one. I belong to the parks and rec center in Bend and go about 3 times a week, but I consider it a reward. The exercise I could do at home I'd never do. I know I'd end up reading a book instead. Exercise my fingers turning pages. 8^)

Alice, you'll make your deadline, no sweat. You write fast.

Eli, have fun at your block party. I have no doubt the kids in our neighborhood will be scaring the life out of our pets with firecrackers and bottle rockets.

My husband and I can see the fireworks on Pilot Butte from our sliding glass door if we stand just right and peer between our neighbor's tree and the roof of their house. Good enough.

Alice Sharpe said...

You're right, Karen, and I'm sorry my stressed out mood is so grumpy. I don't mind writing, I just mind not knowing what to write. Once I figure that out, the rest will come.

Now that you mention it, 15 years is a long time -- trees grow, houses get built. I wonder if we'll be able to see much of the fireworks. (I wonder if we'll remember to look...)

Nice to know we're not the only family that doesn't live up to Sunset Magazine's holiday standards! And Eli, I think your block party sounds just right for young children.

Karen Duvall said...

Since I'm not shooting off fireworks tonight, I decided to celebrate the 4th a different way by writing about the American Revolution and Thomas Paine's literary contribution to the American cause on my blog.
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This is our first 4th in Oregon--the first in a house, not a condo or apartment, in 20+ years for each of us. We're just spending the day enjoying that--yard work in the morning (who knew I'd look forward to that?), lazing about the backyard now and a barbeque later this afternoon.

You all are more dedicated than I think you realize. Don't let the stress of deadlines get to you -- I haven't been here long, but I already know that you'll all achieve what you set out to do. It's inspiring to be part of a group of such talented and amazing ladies.

Happy 4th, everyone!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Happy Fourth to everyone--no matter how you choose to celebrate it or not celebrate it! And amen to a safe and speedy return home to our military men and women.

This holiday should be a quiet one for me, depending on what's going on in the neighborhood. No family coming over that I know of and I'm content to just keep plugging away at things on my "to do" list. None of my doggies seem to have a terrifying fear of fireworks, but I'll keep them inside just the same. If I decide I want to watch fireworks, I can walk a few blocks toward the Salem Riverfront where the trees aren't so tall and see that display if they're doing one. I don't even know. LOL!

Ah, guilt. I spent some time listening to Abraham-Hicks lectures on the Internet last night. They are the ones who discussed the Law of Attraction before it was made popular in the movie, The Secret. The premise that you attract what you think about triggered deep lessons for me, some of them revolving around guilt. Abraham-Hicks would say, "If you think about guilt and feel guilty, you'll attract more guilt." No thanks! I choose to get off that merry-go-round that seemed to spin faster and faster, making me feel more and more overwhelmed and guilty. If you're interested in what they have to say, their Web site is **www.abraham-hicks.com**. I listened while I groomed one of my dogs. They didn't say not to multi-task, just to do everything joyfully. :)

I finished the outline of my nine-book series on June 30th. Not as detailed as I had wanted, but within the time I had alloted to work on this. I also have a potential publisher for this series, as well as an invitation to be part of an anthology for Valentine's Day 2010, so I'm very excited about those projects.

I'm still doing promotion for my current and upcoming releases, but have moved into a couple "non-writing" months while I focus on other projects. The transition threw me off balance for a couple days, but I'm focused again and moving forward.

I only have to look back to the blog discussions earlier this week to be assured that you all have the motivation, determination and perseverance to meet the goals you've set for yourselves.

Alice, you'll make your deadline and have another best-selling book.

Paty, you'll get 4000 words written today, tomorrow and every day until that story is done, as well as continue to add to the beauty of your property in Princeton.

Eli, you'll catch up on your writing and still have time to enjoy your wonderful "gremlins."

Karen, you'll get your revisions done, your ad campaign finished, and still have time to work on Mystic Taxi.

The freedom to pursue our own dreams in our own way. That's what the 4th of July is all about, isn't it?

chanceofbooks said...

Happy Fourth!

Alice, I'm sorry if you're feeling a bit down. I hope you power through those deadlines!

Maybe you can have your "Fourth" for labor day with a big cookout after your deadlines are passed? Send hubby out tonight to stock up on cheap fireworks . . .

We're off to two different cookouts tonight. DH went with Tavy to get her a little riding toy today, so that's another first here. No writing today, but I did get some yesterday. Some.

chanceofbooks said...

Oh--And Alice--You missed when Terry McLaughlin spoke to the chapter. She too mentioned the many holidays she missed b/c of deadlines. She appeared to have made a decision to try to avoid that in the future, but I just wanted you to know that you're not alone with that stress.

Paty Jager said...

Didn't want to bump Alice's blog off for a Saturday check in. We're headed out the door right now to Princeton so I won't get a Saturday check in up.

I wrote 17,596 words this week. Missed my goal because I didn't get 4000 on Wednesday, too many errands kept me busy.

Shooting for 20,000 next week.

Alice Sharpe said...

Karen -- I had a horrible time coming up with a blog today. I guess Genene is right, I am attracting negative energy with my self involved angsting -- and no, Genene, I don't really think you said that, at least not that bluntly, but it's made me think so thanks -- so why didn't I think to come up with something literary like Thomas Paine! Drat!

I could have looked smart instead of whiney!

Alice Sharpe said...

Deborah, I totally get where you're coming from. I just spent one spring without a house of my own (at least in the last twenty years) and I missed digging and pruning and all the things I know ignore.

Thanks for your upbeat thoughts and words. Happy fourth! And if I may be so bold, why don't you blog sometime? I think it would be great to have the voice of a writer discovering craft on this blog (which I believe is more or less how you described yourself once). Think about it!

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene -- good grief, you have gone from harried to peaceful. I better go to that website. Many congrats on the interest in your proposal and the anthology invitation. You're proof that good things do happen to good people.

Alice Sharpe said...

Wavy, thank you for the sympathy. Maybe I just needed to get it out of my system! I got the prologue written today and that helped me figure out the heroine of this book and the next one, now I just have to zero in on the bad guys backstory.

I know I;'m not the only one making stupid deadlines. Maybe you can be smarter when you get to this point of your career! And whoopee on the riding toy!

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty, I'll be glad to get this whimpering post off the front page of the blog -- so to say -- so I'll post a challenge check-in tomorrow, okay?

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Alice, my apologies if my comments came off sounding anything other than helpful. I'm mellow today because I just finished one goal and don't have a monster deadline drooling panic juice all over my head. (However, I'm still on the computer and have only added to my "to do" list, not crossed any items off. So I need to get moving!)

You always come up with great blog topics and fantastic stories. If angst is part of that magic process, don't mess with success! I am amazed at how humble and downright nice you are in addition to being smart, wise, clever, a bazillion other wonderful things, and knowing the craft of writing inside and out. What a standard you set! Cyber hugs to you as you settle into your writing.

And, shazam, Paty! You are smokin' on the word count! Way to go!

Barbara said...

Best wishes to all of you laboring under deadlines. May your characters crystalize and your plots explode into words.

Jim and I are just puttering around our place today, enjoying being home after so many weeks of traveling (and a couple more coming up at the end of this month).

I heard an interesting discussion on OPB radio this week about how the noise of the fireworks and other loud noises trigger flashbacks in returning veterans and others with PTSD. I'm planning a quieter way to celebrate today: I'm about to go out to blow bubbles and watch them float on the breeze.

Happy Independence Day!

Anonymous said...

Alice, I'd be honored to guest blog if the opportunity arises. Not sure what I'll have to say (is it possible to be tongue-tied while writing?), but I'd give it my best shot. :-)

-debbie