Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Let's Blow Something Up!

Current Project:NMMNG
Status: 40 pages and counting!

I had an epiphany a few weeks ago. I both love and hate when this happens--it is lovely, but darn it, it always, ALWAYS means more work for me. Pacing has always been a bugaboo of mine, and I realized that a big part of the problem is that I have too many scenes of people standing around talking with nothing external happening to increase the tension or provide interest. Sure, I provide plenty of witty dialogue and some internal angst, but I'm guilty of using too many scenes just to convey information and set up future scenes. This is different from information dumping--it's not backstory and the scene has a clear purpose and place in the storyline. However, it is a sin nevertheless because it lacks that little extra oomph needed to ensure that the reader not only wants to keep reading but NEEDS to do so.

Now, I'm NOT writing a "suspense" book by any means--this is a YA romantic comedy with a twist. However, I have come to realize that EVERY book on my keeper shelf has very few standing around talking scenes. Something else is always going on--both internally: a subtle subtext because the point of view character knows or does not know some critical piece of information that the other character (and reader) does, a hidden agenda, a major realization or conflict revealed, or externally: danger, complications, thwarted intentions, things to work through in the course of the conversation, external influences creating havoc, etc. In one of her reader/writer guides, Suzanne Brockmann gives the example of a needed conversation--should it take place in a hotel room or should it take place in the middle of a power outage in a subway? The subway wins every time because it adds the elements of if the needed information will be conveyed and how the characters will resolve the external complication. Of course, her books still have a certain percentage of "hotel room" scenes, but there is almost always something else going on in the background that takes them out of the ordinary and raises the stakes.

"Raise the stakes" is my personal motto for this book. My last book had the motto "Go deeper. Deeper. DEEPER." It was a turning point in how I treat point-of-view, and while the book itself will probably spend forever under my bed, it was a success from that standpoint. So, I know that this motto is exactly what I need at this point in time. Of course, this means more work for me. I can't just place my characters in a room and let them talk all the time. I have to have other stuff happening, and frankly, that other stuff is exhausting and way more challenging than dialogue.

So I've been blowing stuff up--both literally and figuratively, and it IS fun. And of course, I want you to try it too. For those of you who have a work in progress, go right now and find a conversation that doesn't have much else happening. Blow something up. Give it something more. Report back, preferably posting your handiwork. For those who are between projects, I give you this very blah, yet vital dialogue. Blow something up. Raise the stakes. Give it that edge.

"Mick, I have something to tell you."
"What?"
"Well . . ."
"Come on, out with it."
"You're not going to like this."
"I'm a little busy here. Can you just spit it out already."
"I'm pregnant."
"What?"
"I'm pregnant."
"Congratulations. Who's the father?"

7 comments:

chanceofbooks said...

Checking the box so that you know I posted, and I get some comment love :)

Lisa Leoni said...

Great topic! I like your motto, for both books. I'm trying to do that myself by writing based on conflict and characters instead of solely plot. Trying to think how the next scene could raise the stakes.

Alice Sharpe said...

Wavy -- sending comment love your way via my brand new MacBook Pro which is just beautiful (the keyboard lights up -- how cool is that?)

I couldn't agree with your advice to up the stakes (blow something up) more and if I felt a little better, I'd do your exercise (love the dialogue. I can see these people hanging from a rooftop by their fingernails or maybe he's delivering a calf and she's helping or ... or they're both cops and have chased down a bad guy and the man is struggling to get the handcuffs on while she just has to get this news out RIGHT NOW ...)

Lazy way to do the exercise, I know, but I had fun. Thanks!!!

Paty Jager said...

Fun blog Bethany!

I've been to the dentist and now I have a final galley to proof. Otherwise I'd join in your fun.

Paty Jager said...

Oh, and Alice, Lori has a new Mac laptop, too. I'm not sure what kind, but she keeps telling me how wonderful it is.

Kendra said...

I can't remember where I read it, maybe it was Donald Maass, but they recommended putting a surprise on every page. It could be a twist in dialog, or phrasing, or an odd observation. Just something to catch the reader slightly off guard.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Very good reminder, Bethany!

Funny thing: in my nine-book series, I do have a town literally blown up by dynamite. It's the catalyst for a lot of other action.