
Current Project: Nine-book series
Status: Flowing nicely :)
In the flow. In the groove. In the zone.
These are all expressions used when everything is going right. For writers, this means when the words are flowing onto the page, the characters are cooperating impeccably, and the plot unfolds in a magical sequence with just the right pacing and enough unexpected twists to create a page-turning story.
I have to admit the flow of my nine-book series has had some calm waters. However, a short discussion with a character or two soon gets words moving again. Since my other books came more slowly, I find this new flow delightful!
More challenging is that I want to work on these stories all the time. However, my kids and grandkids want to see me sometimes, and I occasionally need to sleep, and I have work to do to pay for the kibble in my doggies' bowls. Oh yeah, and Christmas is almost here, with all its preparations.
In spite of the interruptions, I've been able to keep steady forward progress on this series. I would love to have rough outlines of all of the stories done by the end of the year. What a wonderful holiday gift that would be!
How about you? Have you been "in the flow"? Did it last an entire book? How did you deal with interruptions?
7 comments:
Genene -- I've always thought of the flow, too, and the way a book would develop a pace and pattern, intense activity broken by quiet times of regrouping. I actually used to picture a stream much like the one you chose to illustrate your blog. The fact that rivers move toward an ultimate destination, that they widen and slow down, narrow and speed up, fall and roil and churn just made them all the more appropriate in comparison to a creative experience.
I'm so glad (okay, I am also envious) that you are in such a deep state of productivity. Here's hoping you continue and that you never forget to get the kibble in the doggie dishes.
Genene, I agree with Alice, "flow" and rivers so equate with writing. It's wonderful the nine books are cooperating and coming together for you.
I found the flow was wonderful and uninterrupted when I had the luxury of working on one project at a time. Now that I have books in various stages( galley, revisions, new) I find it takes longer to get into the flow and when I hit stride it seems like I have to go to something different for a week then try to hit my stride again.
My best way for me to get into the flow(like I've said before) is to have music that I associate with the project. That draws me into the story and helps me reconnect faster.
Right now I'm working on revisions and can't wait to get back into the next spirit book.
Genene-- I'm so glad that your feeling good about the flow of your 9 book series and that you're finding what sounds like a great balance, too.
I've not been writing at all for weeks. I will. But, I am easily distracted by the shiny stuff of the holidays and therefore have put everything on the shelf until after the holidays are over. I have big plans for the day the kids go back to school in January and I get to establish my new routine of having them all off to school, including my DH who's moved his office out of the house and into town!! Yay!! So, no writing flow until January for me, and then... LOOK OUT!! :)
My apologies to all! I ended up being away from my computer most of the day, so am just now getting to your responses.
Alice, I love how you describe rivers: "...rivers move toward an ultimate destination, that they widen and slow down, narrow and speed up, fall and roil and churn..." Beautiful!
And don't be envious. I'm still very much in the rough draft stage of my books. And you finished how many last year? Four or five? There were so many I lost count! You definitely have productivity, but maybe that's why it's so hard for you to enjoy this period of relaxation. :)
LOL about forgetting the kibble in the doggie dishes. I have a number of furbabies who keep very close tabs on that.
Hey, Paty!
Having to totally switch gears as you move to the different stages of your books (galley, revisions, new) can really disrupt that flow. But you are still so incredibly productive! I'm constantly amazed at all you do!
I'm also intrigued that music gets you back into the flow, when it's one of the things that disrupts me. As we've discussed before, it's so interesting that we all use different processes to come up with a book.
Hi, Piper!
The holidays aren't generally a very productive time for me either, but this year is different. And I like it!
But you still have your kids at home and are building those traditions that are so important for them.
With an empty house in January (at least for part of the day), sounds like you will be rockin'!
Post a Comment