Tuesday, December 08, 2009

And Now For Something Completely Different...

Deborah Wright's ProfileCurrent Project: Post NaNo Project
Status: Just getting started!

In searching for a topic for today's blog post, I started thinking about the characters we create as writers. I'll do you all a favor and avoid describing the long, convoluted and somewhat tortuous path that led me here (though you might guess Monty Python was in there somewhere). And where is here, you ask? Why, it's Writing Characters Who Are Not Like Us, whether that means a different ethnicity, nationality, social class, sexual orientation or something else.

This can be a touchy subject, so don't worry, this isn't going to be a lecture about what writers should or shouldn't do (as if I'd presume!). Mostly, I'm wondering how other writers approach creating characters "not like them?" No one wants to create a character who comes across as a stereotype. So, if you don't know a Real Live Human Being (tm) of a similar background to your character, what do you do? Do you treat this as any other unknown factor in your story and do research? Or do you find yourself backing away from writing such characters out of fear of criticism?

I'll admit creating characters with backgrounds that differ wildly from what I know (i.e. from my own) can seem incredibly daunting at times. Seems a bit silly, though, when I remember that I write male POV all the time and I don't thnk twice about the fact that I am not now, nor have I ever been, a man. Yes, I know that's different, but isn't it somewhat similar? After all, I think nothing of researching the "guy" point of view to try to make my male characters as real as possible. Isn't that same approach valid for other characters, as well?


And now, for a quiz! Relax, it'll be fun (I hope). I'm always impressed by American writers who write British characters (and who do it well) in a British setting. Elizabeth George, Deborah Crombie and Martha Grimes are a few that come to mind. Of course, I wouldn't know if they got some of the details wrong, but these three seem to get high marks from British reviewers. Sometimes though, their characters will use an idiom or a bit of British slang that I'm unfamiliar with and stops me in my tracks until I look it up (and don't even get me started on Cockney rhyming slang). You can see what's coming, can't you? Yep, time to test your knowledge of British English!

Match the numbered word or phrase with the lettered definition. If you feel like it, post your guesses in the comments. I'll post the answers later tonight so you can see how you did. All of the words/phrases and definitions come from the book: Understanding British English, by Margaret E. Moore.

1. Braces
2. Near the knuckle
3. Parkin
4. Parson's nose
5. Swan
6. Davenport
7. Shop

a. drop-front desk with drawers
b. gingerbread made with oatmeal and molasses
c. suspenders
d. drift around idly
e. off color, somewhat indecent
f. betray, turn in to police
g. tail of a cooked fowl

Extra credit! Match the numbered Cockney rhyming slang with it's lettered English translation.

8. Adam and Eve
9. Mariah Carey
10. Nat King Cole
11. Butcher's Hook
12. Burt and Ernie

h. Journey
i. Dole (Welfare)
j. Look
k. Believe
l. Scary

9 comments:

Kendra said...

Okay, I'm totally lost on the last set. I guessed on the first set. I'd never heard the terms, so I was doing it by logic which probably didn't serve me well. lol. Not posting my answers, because I don't want to be humiliated, but I will check back later.

Fun post, Debbie.

Paty Jager said...

I haven't a clue on the last group. Here's what I think for the first bunch.
1-c
2-e
3-a
4-g (my mom called it the Pope's nose)
5-d
6-b
7-f

As for putting yourself in another character. My spirit books are in the POV of Nez Perce Indians. I read everything I could written by and about them to get into the characters. I read books about their myths and legends and listened to Native American music. I immersed myself in their world as best I could without actually living among them.

Fun post!

Alice Sharpe said...

As many books as I read that are set in England, you'd think I'd have this down, but I don't. I think I know a couple of the top ones, but the last group leaves me agog.

Eek.

chanceofbooks said...

Really fun post, Debbie! I think that Paty is right on--when you lack personal knowledge, research, research, research.

Awesome Sauce said...

Here are my guesses. I'm not sure about a few... and with the rhymes, I'm wondering if they're trick questions, cause it was too easy. That's always a bad sign. LOL

1. Braces–suspenders
2. Near the knuckle–tail of a cooked fowl
3. Parkin–gingerbread made with oatmeal and molasses
4. Parson's nose–betray, turn in to police
5. Swan–drift around idly
6. Davenport–drop-front desk with drawers
7. Shop–off color, somewhat indecent
8. Adam and Eve–Believe
9. Mariah Carey–Scary
10. Nat King Cole–Dole
11. Butcher's Hook–Look
12. Burt and Ernie–Journey

That was fun. ^_^

And about characters who are different than yourself. All my characters are totally different than me. Some are more similar, but many are opposite. Some drive me crazy, too. What would the point be if we only wrote ourselves in there? May as well keep a journal. Boooooring. ;) I like to explore other personalities.

Deborah Wright said...

I promised answers and here they are! :-)

1. Braces - (c) Suspenders
2. Near the knuckle - (e) off color, somewhat indecent
3. Parkin - (b) gingerbread made with oatmeal and molasses
4. Parson's nose - (g) tail of a cooked fowl
5. Swan - (d) drift around idly
6. Davenport - (a) drop-front desk with drawers
7. Shop - (f) betray, turn in to police

Extra Credit (Katie got them all right!)
8. Adam and Eve -- (k) Believe (as in "I don't Adam and Eve it!")
9. Mariah Carey -- (l) Scary
10. Nat King Cole -- (i) Dole (Welfare)
11. Butcher's Hook -- (j) Look
12. Burt and Ernie -- (h) Journey

Just for the record, I only knew 3 of the first group. And the rhyming slang is easier to match up like this than it is to understand when used in speech.

Paty Jager said...

I didn't get the rhyming thing until after Katie did it. That doesn't fair well for my ditty!

Lisa Leoni said...

Fun post!! I have a few books on Brit-American English, how to survive in Britain, etc. Both for personal travel purposes and I worked on an MS a couple of years ago with a British hero. I love the phrases they use :D

Awesome Sauce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.