
Current Project: NONE
Status: QUO
Writing a book is a lot like learning a magic trick. Like levitating the cat or pulling a bunny out of the hat. It's slight of hand, smoke and mirrors, but it's also truth or it should be. When the lights go on, when the last page is read, there should be something left, a takeaway, something that lingers and enriches or amuses or provokes.
That's the real magic.
When I send in a completed manuscript, I also fill out pages or art fact sheets and they include five questions. One of the questions is "What's the takeaway?"
I always ponder this. I write popular fiction, not sweeping human drama or literary masterpieces. If books were paintings and an art gallery was mounting an exhibit, my work would not be on display in its own room, tours would not include it on their agenda. I might actually be one of the pictures in the brochure, toward the back, something to attract would be museum goers by providing bright colors, something to warm them up before they get to the heavy duty important work. And that's okay.
But there's still a takeaway or should be. In addition to bright colors, there should be a certain poignancy hidden in the action, lurking in the swirls, something that brings the picture back to life in an observer's mind long after they've turned the page or lifted their eyes to peruse the masters. I hope I am have not lost you in this art metaphor...
How much thought do you put into this when you write a book? Is it part of the plotting process or is it something you try to find later or do you never give it a single thought? Do you stop to ask yourself -- What is my book about? If you do ask yourself this question and you can come up with an answer, do you then reinforce it throughout the book to make your point?
9 comments:
Ooh, this is a great post, Alice.
Yes, I constantly ask myself this and then I get into trouble because I start beating myself up about it. I think...
"This is crap. What experience and wisdom do I have that's worth conveying in this book? I'm just an idiot who knows nothing and I'm still too child-like in my own life to give anyone anything of import to take away. Why should I be writing about love, heartache, trust, growth, over-coming and beating the odds, when I don't know or understand Jack Shite about any of this stuff?"
I doubt myself constantly. Then, I remember all the bull crap I've been through in my life and what I've overcome and I realize that I'm letting fear in where faith should be, and I'm listening to illusions and false whisperings; so I smack myself around and tell myself... "Believe in yourself and use the experiences you've gone through to motivate your characters to overcome their obstacles."
I have a lot of fodder to pull from that I've gone through in my life; if I use it to guide my story I could write a pretty interesting book and hopefully give to the reader some semblance of hope, love, faith, courage, trust, strength. This is what I'd like to convey in my stories. It's just a matter of forging on and actually letting myself write what's in my heart and letting go of fear; the fear of hurting and feeling pain as I put my characters through hell and bring them back. If I can get over the fear of taking them through the scary places, and realize that we can all get back from that place, then I'll be able to finish a book. Hell, I'd be able to finish a lot of books!
I'm sure this wasn't where you were going with your post; but your post opened my eyes today. I've been pondering a lot this week and this was another great subject to ponder upon.
Thanks for the prompt. :)
Au contraire, my dear, that's exactly what I was trying to say, I just couldn't do it as well as you just did.
I think a lot about fear and writing. In fact, ten or so years ago, I was fascinated by it but somewhere lately, I've stopped thinking about it so much. I don't mean the fear of not selling well. That is so self focused, but then again, most fear is self focused, isn't it?
I love what you said: "I realize that I'm letting fear in where faith should be, and I'm listening to illusions and false whisperings; so I smack myself around and tell myself... 'Believe in yourself and use the experiences you've gone through to motivate your characters to overcome their obstacles.'"
By chance, as I rode my recumbent bike yesterday, I turned on Oprah. She was interviewing Whitney Houston who was talking about a lot of things including a song on her new CD and it was about trusting yourself. I think maybe that's the lesson. What do you think?
Excellent post, Alice.
Becky, I'm the same way. What have I done or lived that I can put into a book and help make it real and the situation real enough others would care to read it? Then I look around me at people I know, experiences that have been told to me, and I glean their feelings and ideas, and hope that when I'm done with a book, people not only come away entertained, but also have found a new strength in themselves.
Alice, to answer your question- I don't flat out think "this book is going to be about this", but my premise is usually something like justice or overcoming some wrong life has handed a character.
I agree, about the trust in yourself. If you don't how can you possibly have others believe in you?
"it was about trusting yourself. I think maybe that's the lesson. What do you think?"...
Yes. For me, that's the biggest lesson I have to learn in this life. That's my challenge. I don't trust, not truly or fully. I have huge reasons for not trusting, but that doesn't give me free license to never learn to get over it. I have a desire to "fix" my trust issues so I know it will happen, but how long it takes is a whole other thing. :) And I've noticed that when I start to learn about my characters one of them always has an issue with trust.
Maybe, if I write it through to the end, my characters and I can learn together? I think that writing is very therapeutic, but can also be scary and make us face things, like feelings, we've been avoiding. Might this be why I get stuck sometimes and set it aside? Because I just don't want to deal with the feelings that come up because it might hurt too much? I don't know, but it sorta makes sense.
I always write with a "takeaway" in mind. I don't want to write books that never get recommended to friends. I don't want to be famous or get awards; I don't care about that. But I want to share with others and give them something to keep forever long after the pages press together again. It doesn't have to be life changing or spectacular, but poignant and truthful. I want to leave hope and a glad feeling within them. If my books end up as garage sale cast offs, I will feel I've failed as a writer. What's the point of sharing my stories at all if I'm not doing just that--sharing.
I don't write for morals or to make a point. I just write about characters I care for, about real life problems, feelings, and situations. I just want the story to fill people's hearts for years to come in some small way. If my book isn't the type to reread, I will be disappointed. Because what's the point of writing something mediocre that no one ever hears about? It's like a school assignment, you're the only one who cares. You don't publish school assignments. You publish something that will enrich the world, even if it's not a significant change. You publish art.
Piper -- writers have to go to scary places. There are many ways to do this, but you seem to be driven to make a difference and share the strength you have gleaned and I believe that is admirable.
You go girl.
Katie -- I love what you said, but I have a different take. If I were to happen into a laundromat or a bus station or an airport and see a copy of my book sitting on a table or chair with bent corners and a battered cover, I would be absolutely thrilled. It would mean the book was enjoyed and READ. But perhaps that's because I know I write stories and that the takeaway is one that's literally, well, taken away. It doesn't make me feel a failure. But it appears you are striving for a different audience and different goals and I applaud that.
I once got a letter from a woman who said she cried through the last part of my book. It really spoke to her heart. I doubt she still has the book. I would bet she passed it along. And that's okay with me.
Katie-- I have to agree with Alice on the whole finding your book at a garage sale or bus station etc., because that means that someone else can pick it up to read. Maybe it's put there because they loved it too much not to pass it on. Know what I mean?
Plus, I love to go to garage sales and find books. I've found books at garage sales that are no longer in print and sometimes they're the part of the backlist from my favorite authors. So, garage sale fodder is awesome!
And think of it this way, it IS sharing when people find your books in obscure places because they get the opportunity to read them when they may have never had the chance because it's no longer on a book store shelf or available from Amazon. LOL
I loved your comment though. Especially this... "I want to share with others and give them something to keep forever long after the pages press together again. " And, just because someone doesn't put your book on a keeper shelf doesn't mean they didn't love it. They just wanted to share. Exactly what you're going for, right? :) (((hugs)))
Interesting post and comments!
I'm kind of a reverse snob in the area of literary fiction vs popular fiction. I can't see the point of angsting your way through life only to die. Maybe these people should read popular fiction to learn how to resolve conflict and get to happily-ever-after. :)
Seriously, I think it's wonderful that we have all kinds of books because people have so many different tastes. What one person doesn't like, another may think is the best book ever written. I don't think assigning a label to a book makes it more important than another book--just different.
Since I had to think about whether or not I focus on the "takeaway" when I write a book, I guess I don't. However, it seems to develop as I write.
With the romantic comedies, I hope people laugh and enjoy the stories. (Duh!)
My dramatic stories generally deal with people overcoming traumatic events; however, as Piper mentioned, the message is that of hope--that others have survived these terrible things to live happy lives.
Great discussion!
Post a Comment