Monday, December 14, 2009

Castle + Nathan Fillion = Hour Well Spent

Current Project: Derby book
Status: First draft

I'm sorry this post is late. I'm home sick today and my calendar reminder to blog is on my work computer. Well, my cell phone too, but (I know, you're going to be shocked) I haven't really touched my cell phone yet today. I must be sick! :)

Like most people (I assume), sick days are filled with an excessive amount of television watching. I already watch too much TV, but sick days are even worse. Today, I'm going to finish catching up on this season's episodes of Castle. I bet you were wondering what TV had to do with writing! ;) For those of you who don't know, Castle is a television series about a NY Times bestselling mystery writer who decides to base a new series on a New York City detective. So he follows her around on cases, there's sexual tension, great banter, and hilarious antics. Nathan Fillion plays the writer, Richard Castle.



This show is hilarious. He helps solve their cases by bringing a fresh perspective. He steps back and thinks as a writer. What would make a better story? He often proposes crazy twists and turns in what may have happened in a case, and he is often right. This show is great for all writers, not just mystery writers. It's funny to watch the glimpses of the publishing industry and the writing process. He even has a weekly poker game with actual big-name authors like James Patterson. Those scenes are quite funny.

Watching this show has been a good reminder to step back and think about what would make a better story. Catching the killer red-handed isn't as interesting as someone being framed for the killing and finding out there's a secret love-child and a missing trust fund. These are the plot twists that writers toil over to make our books great. It's just interesting and funny to see this on a television show. I really recommend you watch Castle, it's hilarious!

Has anyone seen it? Any other shows or movies you like because how it portrays authors? I always think back to that Roseanne Barr movie where her husband leaves her for a romance author with a pink house.

Okay, time to kick my dog off my couch. I'm not sick or anything, I didn't plan on spending the day laying on the couch, trying to rest. Oy! So spoiled! :D

6 comments:

chanceofbooks said...

How funny! I just watched an episode of Castle last night b/c my stomach was bothering me, and I needed something light like that. It reminds me of Murder She Wrote and Father Dowling and other "cozy" shows of the late 80s/90s before everything became all graphic and gory. I love Nathan Fillion but I loved him so much more as Mal on Firefly--it's so odd seeing as this metrosexual ninny who can't even defend himself in a bar fight (The Mal I love would have cleared the place before even looking left to check with his partner). It's kind of like Eureka mixed with Murder She Wrote--I like the teenage daughter subplot too.

I usually like things with a bit faster pace & less telling--there is A LOT of telling going on on Castle, but sometimes, that is what works.

They aren't shows about writing per se but I have learned so much about writing from the commentaries of Ron Moore on Battlestar and Joss Wheadon on Firefly--it is like getting free writing seminars.

Paty Jager said...

I love Castle! I started watching it from the beginning and if I miss a night I catch it the next day on the computer.
I like the writer aspect, the family dynamics (Castle, his mother, and his daughter(who is the mature one)) I like the banter, the bets, and his adolescent perspective on things.

And I like how Beckett stays aloof of his charms when she is really swooning. LOL

The scenes with the other writers is great. And I like how he turns all the cases into a what if session.

Yeah, I'm a fan!

Alice Sharpe said...

I just watched the first episode and absolutely loved it. Sure it's light and cute, but it's fun and I for one, like a little fun. It's interesting -- I've never followed a series on the internet before. This is like finding an author you enjoy and realizing there's a whole backlist to enjoy! I'm going to work my way through them. Take that muse. Two can play that game!

Hope you are feeling better, Lisa, and just so you don't feel so bad, my dog enjoys the couch, too.

Awesome Sauce said...

Of course I watch Castle! He is SOO funny, and she's so sassy. I love the dynamics and how hard he tries to win her over. Of course, Mal was amazing in Firefly, but I like Rick, too. ^_^

My favorite TV show of all time is Buffy the Vampire Slayer, though. It's sort of like a series of books, because the episodes are sequential, with tons of character development beneath the motif of killing evil things. They could so easily be books, if you simplify all the battles and mostly show the growth of each character. I love that show so much. It's nice watching it now, after all the seasons have been aired and are available to rent, because I don't have to wait for a whole year's worth of episodes to slowly come out. It's ideal. And I'm addicted. :D

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Oh, Lisa, you have lured me to the dark side. LOL!

I watched part of this show on the Internet and actually enjoyed it. But the commercials--definitely an invitation to turn the darn thing off. So I did.

Time to get my own writing done. But a great reminder to include plot twists and not just write the ordinary.

Hope you feel better soon!

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene, I watched thr 1st episode today without a single commercial! I hope you find the ABC link. It was great.