Tuesday, May 19, 2009

In the Blink of an Eye


Current Project: Untitled RS
Status: Major revisions to outline


I reviewed my post from last week about the boost I'd received from a contest final. I'd been in a bit of a slump and frustrated, and the contest had given my writing some new life. Funny how fast things can change.


On Friday my family was hit with some hard news about my father's health, and once again I find my self staring at a blank screen with no words in my brain. More testing will be done this week to inform us of the degree of "bad." I'm working on the skeleton outline of my story, because it doesn't require the creativity of the actual scene structure.


A topic for this blog was nearly impossible so here is a link to a blog of Tess Gerritson's about newbies that made me smile this morning. http://www.murderati.com/blog/2009/5/5/wont-take-advice-good-luck.html

9 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Kendra --thanks for the link to the Tess Gerritson blog. It brought a smile to my lips, too. The first comment after the blog quoted a comedian as saying, "You can't fix stupid." Made me grin. True.

More importantly, I am so sorry your father got bad news about his health. I've been in the middle of this situation from every conceivable angle and it SUCKS. It saps your energy and focus and wounds your heart and all you can do is see it through. For what it's worth, my thoughts are with you.

Paty Jager said...

Kendra, Thanks for the link to Tess's blog- it was interesting and so true of several writers I've met along the way. I agree perseverance is something a writer has to have.

I'm sorry to hear the news about your father. My CP is struggling with the same thing. Her father, whom she is very close to, is not doing well. I hope things work out and you're back on the writing track soon.

Deborah Wright said...

Kendra, I'll echo everyone else -- thanks for the link. I think we've all met people like the person Tess Gerritson describes (in all professions). Kind of makes you wonder, though.

I'm so sorry to hear about your father. As Alice says, it SUCKS. Here's hoping that this week's tests will bring better news for you and your family.

Lisa Leoni said...

Okay, first of all. The time stamp says 5:00 a.m. People are awake at that hour? ;) Kidding! I've read stories about early risers.

That was a great blog post!! I'm surprised she made it through the lunch without throttling the woman. I don't know that I could have.

I'm really sorry to hear about your father. I'll be thinking of you!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Kendra! I'll add my thanks for the link to Tess Gerritsen's blog. An interesting discussion.

Prayers and positive energy to your father, to you and all your family. Please send updates if you have the time.

Karen Duvall said...

Kendra, so sorry about your dad's health issues. I can sympathize.

It's really hard to be creative when your heart is hurting.

Kendra said...

Thank you for the kinds words, everyone. You're the best. It feels good to open up. My father is an extremely private person, so I've had to keep my mouth shut around neighbors and friends in town.

Lisa, I scheduled my post for 5AM. Heck no I wasn't up at that hour. LOL!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Oh, Kendra. So sorry to hear about your dad. I'm around if you want to chat. Thinking positive thoughts for your family.

And thanks for the link to Tess's post. That was...enlightening.

chanceofbooks said...

I'm sorry about your father. You and your family are in my thoughts.