Current Project: Shadows Inc. (definitely in search of a new title)
Status: Still working on chapter one
Sorry this is a little late, but I'm posting this from my mom's place and have had a little networking trouble.
I was looking for something to read last night and picked up one of the romance novels on my mom's bookshelf. It's a reprint of a novel originally published in the early 90s. The author is rather better known today, but you can still hear her voice (or at least the beginnings of her voice) in the pages of this early work of hers.
I don't usually analyze a book while I'm reading it for pleasure. Even so, I couldn't help but notice the way the author lets the reader in on the thing that's most important in the world to the heroine from the the very first sentence (the "thing" being keeping her family together). The first couple of chapters are all about building up how important this is to the heroine. So much so, in fact, that I'm curious to get to the end to see if the heroine gives up this goal freely, as Elisabeth talked about in her last post. I'm also curious to see if other structural elements jump out at me as obviously as this did.
Maybe it's because I've been working so hard lately on understanding how to put the pieces of my own stories together. Or maybe it's just that the more I write the more I recognize the "nuts and bolts" of other stories. It doesn't always happen -- I love it when I get sucked into a story even when I'm trying to analyze it -- but I find it interesting when it does.
I'm learning to appreciate reading on several levels at once. Is this something that happens to every writer at some point in their development?
5 comments:
Debbie,
Yes! Though I don't analyze as much as I probably should.
Grandkids are still asleep so I'm sneaking some computer time- and yeah, I'm headed to write- NOW.
Debbie -- I think you raise an interesting point and I imagine every writer does start to see the underpinnings as they gain experience. It's even easier to see the "nuts and bolts", I think, in movies where the stories are usually pared down to essentials for time constraints and the skeleton is even more obvious.
When I read, I do my best not to look for any of that, especially in mysteries where I can sense a red herring a mile away. I try to suspend the analytical side of my brain so I can get, as you said, sucked into the story. And I think because I'm such an intuitive writer that it's easier for me though I couldn't tell you why.
Hope you're having a good time visiting with your mom!
I'l be interested in knowing if the heroine abandons that plan or if, as her stated goal, it provides the momentum for her decisions. She may not give up on it at all -- let us know.
I do that too, Debbie. I really know I'm enjoying a book when I'm not rewriting sentences in my head or figuring things out too early. When an author can surprise me - and that rarely happens anymore - I know the book is a total keeper.
My husband hates to watch movies with me. Too many "OMG, well THAT's not foreshadowing or anything" comments from me ruin it for him. I've learned to keep my mouth (and my huffing) to myself.
Hi, Debbie!
Like others have commented, I automatically critique when I read or watch movies. And if the critiquer is quiet, the book is a keeper!
I've also noticed that when I watch movies with my grandkids--which is most of the movies I watch any more--the ones I enjoy the most follow a very simple but effective story structure similar to the writer's journey. Very good reminders to me to keep it simple!
I like Genene's words. If the critiquer is quiet... I recently read a book and my critiquer screamed the whole time. I made myself finish the book because I knew the author and other people had raved about it.
I enjoy a book best when I don't notice the story elements. Means I'm sucked in.
Post a Comment