Current Project: Synopsis
Status: Seventh Circle of Something . . .
I'm swamped today, so I'm going to be lazy and piggy back on the heels of Debbie's great post. Go read this great blog by Jennifer Crusie. She talks about how much you can tell about people from what is in their fridge (and how clean it is!). Now my task for you, in the interest of learning more about your characters is pick three characters who are not the hero and heroine and tell me what's in their fridges. So many times we focus and focus on the main characters, but rich secondary characters are important too.
I'm eager to see what you come up with!
4 comments:
Oh, fun! Just last night I'd looked at the list I'd made way back for the contents of my heroine's purse.
Secondary characters
Divorced detective in his fifties: bud light, old chinese food containers, frozen meals in the freezer, milk past its expiration date.
Married buff detective with kids: lots of veggies and fruit, left over spaghetti, sandwich fixings, bagels, yogurt, orange juice, two gallons of milk, wine,
gotta run. i'll go with two. lol.
Ummm... since my secondary characters all live in a Blind school and fed in a cafeteria, can I say what's in their bureaus?
Jasper, former slave- now handyman for the school. Two pairs of wool trousers, wool socks, wool long johns, and two flannel shirts and one nice wool one he wears to church on Sunday. Emancipation papers folded neatly and tucked into a dog-earred shiny Bible. Shave soap, razor and strap. Wood carving tools rolled up in leather.
Donny, Twelve-year-old blind boy - Three pair of wool trousers, wool socks his mother knit, flannel drawers, and three flannel shirts and one linen shirt his mother also made. A piece of a whiskey bottle, to remind him what alcohol can do to a person. A shiny round rock his sister gave him to rub for good luck. Two braille books, one "Moby Dick" the other a book on raising broom corn. And a button the hero lost while helping in the broom making class.
Mrs. White- the Blind school matron. Five white cotton handkerchiefs with fancy embroidered edging. Three starched white blouses, one gray wool skirt, one brown wool skirt. Two white starched aprons. One corset, three cotton chemise, three drawers and wool stockings-black. A tintype of the man who married her then left her for another. A lock of dark brown baby hair tied with a blue ribbon and kept in a linen handkerchief.
You DON'T want to know what's in Claire's refrigerator, lol! I actually list the items in one of the chapters in MYSTIC TAXI. Claire, a secondary character, is a Hellspawn prostitute called a Hell's Belle and her dietary needs are slightly different from a human's. But what's in her fridge says a lot about her species, and the fact that she also keeps some human food in there says something about her character, too. She's hospitable and fair. And she'll share her grapes. :)
On my way to Paty and Karen's neck of the woods but this post made me smile. I love all of your descriptions! LOL.
The reason for my smile, however, is that every single one of my characters is on the move. No one has a refrigerator. I guess maybe some obscure secondary character who has a role as a waitress or something goes home to a house, but everyone else is too busy staying one step in front of the others. I'll take the big guy with the knife. If and when he ever makes it home, (doubtful) he'll find several cans of V-8 juice, a big steak that went bad, some kind of dark ale and maybe a secret vice like a bag of chocolate kisses.
Fun, Wavy, will be thinking about you tomorrow. Best of luck.
Post a Comment