Friday, May 15, 2009

The Call!!

Today I'm thrilled to welcome recently acquired Kensington author, Kristina McMorris to our blog!

For those of you who don't know Kristina, I'll fill you in on all the deets. Kristina and I finaled together in the Golden Heart in 2007, where I met and fell in instant adoration of this fun-loving writer who is also a member of the Portland Rose City Romance Writers. Not only is Kristina beautiful, tall, skinny and bright, she's also mom to two little boys, is an actress, a talk-show host, an award-winning writer and now...published author. (I know, I know...you want to hate her because of all that...I did too...but keep reading. Trust me, Kristina is a hoot.) Kristina recently got the call from Kensington for her WWII love story, LETTERS FROM HOME - which will be a Valentine's Day, February 2011 release - and she's here today to tell us all about her "call".

So help me by welcoming Kristina!!

*****


Greetings from waaaay up north! Okay, just Portland. But I’m still convinced it rains at least thirty more days of the year than down in your tropical neck of the woods. :)

Well, it’s been a crazy week – what with planning my best friend’s baby shower (take away games like “Identify the Chewed-up Snickers in the Diaper” game, and you gotta get creative); being sucked into the time-swallowing machine that is Facebook (thanks a lot, Elisabeth! Btw, I already have more friends than you...); and explaining to my child – without smiling – why the escape-from-Alcatraz breakout he pulled at preschool with his best friend, a map, and a mission for ice cream wasn’t necessarily a hit with the faculty. I’m not joking.

Anyhow, amidst all that, I did manage to review, sign and mail back my very first publishing contract. Um, let me repeat that: “my very first PUBLISHING CONTRACT!!!” (Sorry, the reiteration was solely for MY benefit, not yours. Moving on to my call story...)

In January 2009, I signed with my third-time’s-a-charm agent. She immediately began to submit my novel, LETTERS FROM HOME, a WWII love story inspired by my grandparents’ epistolary courtship. Previously, during its yearlong reign as a 2007 Golden Heart finalist, the manuscript made the publishing-house rounds with agent #1, garnered significant film option interest, but alas no literary sale. Two years, two agents, and one contemporary ms. later, I decided to revisit my WWII labor of love, giving the book a major overhaul with skills I had gained along the way, thus transforming my first novel into my third.

Within a few days of our submission launch, my agent called with news: John Scognamiglio (don’t try pronouncing that without the help of a native Italian), editor-in-chief of Kensington Publishing, had read LETTERS over the weekend, loved it, thought it was a page-turner, and was taking it to acquisitions. (Yes, I indeed squealed over the phone, but held off popping the champagne!) And so, we waited... one week... two weeks.... three.... four... and FINALLY after seven excruciating weeks, received word that due to concerns over marketing aspects of a WWII love story, my poor little ms. had been subjected to several additional reads.

Fortunately, in the end, LETTERS passed the test, and Kensington indeed made an official offer. But still no champagne popping allowed. Since the ms. was in the middle of second and third reads at two other large houses, my agent gave me strict instructions: I could tell my mother and my husband, but kids, CPs, and friends were off limits until we gave our answer by our one-week deadline. It was a loooong week. Sort of like winning the lottery and not being able to tell ANYONE! (And really, what’s the point of that?!)

Anyhow, we ultimately accepted the offer and I couldn’t be happier! And yes, I’ve since popped some champagne, and even thrown in a few truffles.

Thanks for letting me share. I hope my story provides inspiration for those of you who, like me, have a labor-of-love ms. you stubbornly refuse to give up on. So write what you love, no matter what the “market” says will or won’t sell, and no matter what, keep typing.

And now...a question for all of you. If you are already published, was your call story all that you hoped it would be? And if you are as-yet unpubbed, share the fantasy. I know you have one. How do you envision your call happening?

47 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big congratulations! I'm a 2009 GH finalist, hoping for some Golden Heart magic. I'd be happy with an email, carrier pigeon, smoke signals...no call necessary.

Kelly

Rebecca J. Clark said...

Hey Sweetie! I'm so thrilled for you. You certainly deserve this success--all Pixies do. Some day we'll rule the world. :)

My call was "the email." My editor's last name is the same as my best friend's, so when I opened the email I thought it was from my friend. I was talking to my sister at the time. (Yes, I multi-task. Don't we all??) I stopped talking mid-sentence and was like, "Um, Laur. I think I just sold my first book." Then I'm pretty sure I hung up on her and went running to find my hubby (who just happened to be talking to same sister's hubby) and made him hang up the phone, too.

Congrats, again!

Becky

Paty Jager said...

HI Kristina,

It was fun getting to know you. congrats on the call and book coming out.

Delilah Marvelle said...

Kristina!
Waving madly.
It's so awesome to see you out and about and blogging!!! Yay! You know I can't WAIT for your book to come out. My call was a whirlwind that happened over a single week. From sending the manuscript to the call so the whole waiting a whole seven weeks thing sounds painful, LOL, of course I had to wait ELEVEN years to get the call. So I think in the end, you totally win hands down. Grin.

Leshia Stolt said...

Nice post, Kristina! I'm SO happy for you!! :-)

Keli Gwyn said...

Kristina, it must have been sooo hard to keep that amazing news to yourself. I'm delighted everything worked out and that you landed that long-awaited first contract.

And now there's a second, too, with your 2008 GH co-authored entry selling. You are one happening author.

No Call for me yet, but I suspect when it comes I'll happy dance, shout and cry tears of joy--all at the same time.

Susan said...

Hi Kristine :D

Jumping up and down for you here!!!

My husband actually got my first call while I was at work and went into total panic mode because he couldn't find my work number to give to the editor. He call me frantic, so worried he'd lost the sale for me :D I reassured him, just happened to have the eds number with me :), and gave her a call. Needless to say, he was greatly relieved when I signed the contract :D

therese patrick, author said...

Hi Kristina,
Great recap of a LONG journey. You show here that success comes when we keep trying, keep learning, and keep working at improving.

I also write "hard sell" stories that don't have a niche market and your persistence is a great inspiration!

Jordan Dane said...

Hey there, girl--Just wanted to stop by and say "HEY" from Oklahoma. Best wishes on all your continued success. And I look forward to meeting you in DC.

JD

Alice Sharpe said...

Hey Kristina -- THANK YOU for being a guest blogger and big additional thanks for being fresh and funny and the best thing happening so far on a Friday morning...

You sound delightful, Eli is right. And it sounds as though your preschooler takes after mama, no? LOL, making a break for ice cream (a shame it didn't work -- success might have fueled a whole different life direction for the little guy. Hm---)

My call came from an editor I had sold short stories to so I actually "knew" her. When she called full of enthusiasm, I could hardly believe it. I kept waiting for the big "---but---" The call for the first Silhouette I ever sold was even more exciting in some ways, but I don't know, there's something about that first sale and the feeling you have that now you are legitimate.

I hope you finally uncorked that bottle of champagne -- your books sounds wonderful!

Karen Duvall said...

Congratulations, Kristina! And I love that era of history. Tragic and romantic. Good luck with the book! :)

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Ahem...honey, bright you may be but your eyesight is not so good. I have WAY more FB friends than you do! (And Kendra's still kicking my butt in that area but we won't even mention THAT!). I know in another week you'll surpass me, but for now I'll relish the fact I'm out ahead of you. Hee hee hee...

I LOVE your call story. I can't imagine what you went through over 7 weeks of waiting. The week and a half I waited was agony enough.

And your son...oh, now that is so funny. I'm with Alice. I think he MUST get that spirit of adventure and stick-to-it-iveness from his momma.

Thanks for guest blogging with us today!!

Kendra said...

Hi Kristina! Thanks for visiting us! I've followed your journey for a few years, and I'm so happy that it finally came together. You must love your agent!

Great preschool story!

Pat said...

Way to go. The Bond sisters ROCK! I am so thrilled for you, as you know.

It's a wonder you didn't have terminal indigestion swallowing that fabulous news for a whole week. Or, possibly, lift off into the wild blue yonder propelled by the happy bubble you had to keep inside! Kudos on the self-discipline. And I loved the Alcatraz story--took me right back. (I have a similar story involving a homemade parachute.) LOL

As for my fantasy call story--It comes out of the blue from someone totally unexpected who found my stuff through serendipity (lots of that in my life, so why not here?)loves my voice, and just can't wait to sign me lest some other bright soul get me first.

Hey, it's a fantasy, I'm allowed. LOL

Safe trip to Reading, hon. Can't wait to see you.

{{{Hugs}}}

Deborah Wright said...

Hi Kristina! Thanks for being our guest blogger!

Congratulations on your call, though it must have been nerve wracking waiting all those weeks to hear back! It's heartening to be reminded to write what you love, no matter what the market says. Personally, I love reading stories set in the WWII era, so I'll be on the lookout for LETTERS FROM HOME in February 2011.

Lisa Pulliam said...

Congrats, Kristina!!!!! It's well-deserved, I'm so happy for you! :)

How do I envision the "call?" Well, I'm sitting at my desk, the color of espresso - my favorite shade of wood. The walls of my office are pink by the way - just thought that should be part of the dream. I'm working on my latest WIP, when there's a knock on the door. I'm surprised to see a group of editor's at my door - each flew in to personally offer me a contract. They are pushing at each other like a hoard of reporters clamoring for a comment. I meet with each one individually, confer with my agent on the phone, and choose a contract. Then I drink the pink champagne I purchased at World Market for just an occasion.

NOT. Haha! Even if something like that were in the realm of possibility for anyone, it sounds like too much stress!! I imagine getting the call and celebrating with some friends and family.

Maureen McGowan said...

Your call story is so inspiring, Kristina! I can't wait to actually read this story. So glad it's going to be in print.

Kristina McMorris said...

Thank you for the warm wishes, everyone! I'm delighted to hear that my post didn't put all of you back to sleep. :)

My goodness, you crazy people get up early! (This excludes Pat and Jordan, of course, who live on the other side of the country; in fact, it's about time you two rolled your tooshies out of bed! LOL.)

And now (drum roll, please...), time for my Friday AM blog replies. Please lower your expectations; I haven't had my instant oatmeal yet.

Kristina

Kristina McMorris said...

Thank you, Kelly! And congrats to YOU!!!

A few words of advice (speaking from experience here):

1) be wary when opening emails with the subject line "Million dollar offer" (unless you want a thousand, um, battery-operated foot massagers)

2) until you've confirmed the pigeon above you has a scroll around its neck, don't look up or remove your hat

3) and if those smoke signals are accompanied by the smell of rocket fuel, scold your child for launching toys in the house AFTER you grab him and evacuate the premises.

In other words, I recommend waiting for the phone call. It's safer for everyone. :)

And no doubt yours is coming soon! Good luck!

Kristina McMorris said...

Hi Becky! What do you mean? Pixies don't ALREADY rule the world?! LOL.

I'm sorry, but no editor should deprive an author of their first official PHONE "call." I would suggest you contact your editor TODAY, and demand a re-enactment. (Believe me, they LOVE when you assert yourself with irrational requests; it demonstrates confidence and, um, creativity.)

Btw, now I know to listen for that half-listening thing when we talk on the phone -- a surefire clue that you're reading emails at the same time! Ha.

Congrats on your sale, sweetheart! So happy for you!

Kristina McMorris said...

Hi Delilah! Waving back... though not wildly. Too early for that. (Okay, so it's after 10am here; but it's 2:30am in Tokyo, so half of my genes are still sleeping.)

You, my dear, definitely win the trophy for persistence. Or would your hubby call that stubbornness? Mine does. :)

Thanks for all your support! Love ya!

Kristina McMorris said...

Keli, when YOUR call comes, we'll have to tag-team. You do the crying (my waterproof mascara never works -- seriously), while I do the shouting (former cheerleading capt. here; shocking, I know!) AND the happy dance. I'm half-Irish. We look for any excuse to dance. And drink. And take major liberties when recanting "factual" stories. Just ask my mother. LOL.

Thanks for your support! I just KNOW your call is around the corner.

Kristina McMorris said...

Susan, that's hysterical about your hubby thinking he'd lost your sale.

You know -- and I'm not saying you SHOULD do this -- but many a wise wife would hang onto that memory for future ammunition. Just sayin'....

[Disclaimer: Kristina McMorris is not, nor does she portray on television, a marital counselor. No advice should be taken literally without consuming large amounts of margaritas first. That way, you can't be held accountable for your actions the next morning.]

Jessa Slade said...

We all knew it was just a matter of time, and the right agent, and the right editor, and the stars aligning, and more of that pixie dust.

Congrats on this big moment! We fully expect to hear about the movie deal in the next seven weeks. No pressure or anything.

Kristina McMorris said...

Therese, good for you for writing what you love! The way I figure it, with skilled and determined marketing, there is a niche market for just about any book.

I just KNOW if I look hard enough, I'll find those readers who'll love my Chinese-Polish-scuba diver-turned-clogging pole dancer-in the Ozarks-story. They're out there. They are, they are... :)

Seriously, best wishes, sweetie! Your parents' story is an inspirational one that deserves and needs to be shared.

Kristina McMorris said...

Alice, thanks for sharing your call story! You're right; it's nice not to feel "illegitimate" anymore. LOL.

Yes, my oldest son clearly has determination in the blood. He actually managed to scale the "childproof" gate to let his shorter buddy out, and made it a quarter-mile down the road before I spotted them from my car (on the way to pick them up), walking with a good Samaritan who was leading them back.

Thanks to their little "incident," their school is now like the Roach Motel: they go in but they don't come out.

Needless to say, I'm REALLY excited about when he hits the teen years. Oy.

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Kristina McMorris said...

Eli, thanks for having me!!

And you should really check your FB friend tally again. Haven't you seen the new "Steal your friends' friends" feature?

Don't worry. I left you ONE friend. I'm not totally heartless. Ha.

Have fun at Star Trek... which I'm CERTAIN you're not seeing without having finished your -- what did you call it? -- oh, yeah, "suckopsis." :)

Kristina McMorris said...

Pat, I just HAVE to hear the parachute story when we're in DC!

Btw, that fantasy of yours is far from far-fetched... little Miss two-time Golden Heart finalist! Already cheering wildly for you.

Huge hugs back! :)

Kristina McMorris said...

Lisa, what a coincidence! That's the same dream I still continue to have. EXCEPT they're not editors clamoring at my door, but insurance salesmen. No, wait, make that male massage therapists. With no shirts. And chiseled chests...

Sorry. Mental vacation. Back to blogging. :)

Fingers crossed that your phone will be ringing with "the call" very soon!

Kristina McMorris said...

Deborah, thanks for the plug about my book release! Can I hire you as a publicist? :)

Truly, thanks to everyone here for all the enthusiasm!

Kristina McMorris said...

Jessa, funny you should say that about the film deal -- because Skin-a-max already expressed interest; unfortunately they couldn't figure out a realistic way to shoot the battle scenes featuring soldiers in G-strings. Ah, well. Greener pastures....

Thanks for commenting! :)

Aileen/Ari said...

I almost missed my call! After sending off the novella MS, life got in the way of writing. After 9 months of checking the "writer" email address, I stopped checking, deciding they hated it so much they didn't want to let me know. (Can you say "insecurities"?)

On a whim, or a slow day at work, a year after first submitting, I found a week-old email telling me that Celtic Rhythm was selected for an Ellora's Cavemen Anthology. Needless to say I've spent the last six months trying to catch up with all the writing I didn't do last year, to take advantage of the release and potential new fans.

Courtney Milan said...

Kris #1a/b, Congratulations again on your awesome success. I can't wait until Valentine's Day 2010 to read this manuscript.

:)

Gina Robinson said...

Congrats again on your sale, Kristina! I love hearing call stories. Thanks for sharing. And good luck with the book! I'll be looking for it when it comes out.

Deb Marlowe said...

Congrats again, Kristina! So happy for you! That must have been an amazing/agonizing week!

My 'call' came from London, with a British accent, which was lovely, as I write Regency historicals!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Kristina! So glad you could guest blog today. I never get tired of call stories. I am in awe--the waiting for weeks is hard, but keeping the good news to yourself for a week?! Ay-yi-yi! That would definitely be painful!

My "call" came in the form of an e-mail. After fourteen years, I had decided that I needed to focus on pursuits that were putting kibble in my doggies' bowls--and writing wasn't doing that. However, a friend convinced me to submit to Awe-Struck E-books. They contracted for my first book (which had been rewritten six or eight times) and then two more. So I had three books released within a ten-month time period. Guess you and Delilah and me are all in the running for the crown of who took the longest to sell. :)

Once again, congratulations on getting The Call!
And an extra glass of cyber-champagne for keeping the news to yourself for a week!

Laurie Thompson said...

Kristina (my anonymous email friend who turned out to be someone I know);)

I love your story of "the call" and can only imagine how crazy it must have been to keep it a secret for such a long time. Given your son's preschool shenanigans, no wonder your agent made you take an oath not to tell the kids. Who knows what he would've dreamed up. A freeway overpass sign on the way to DairyQueen?

Can't wait till your WWII story comes out. It sounds utterly romantic and very swoon-worthy. And to be based somewhat on your grandparents during the war...*fans self to dry the little tears*...must make things all the more sweeter.

I'm so happy for you and thanks for letting us share in your excitement.

Kristina McMorris said...

Aileen/Ari - Thank GOODNESS you checked that email.... Shoot, now I'm going to be even more obsessive about my inbox. If that's possible. Congrats on your sale of CELTIC RHYTHM! Yaaaay!

And congrats to YOU, Genene, on all three sales. Woo-hoo! Fortunately, my journey to publication only took three years, because I don't know that I'd have had the oomph to stick to it for a decade or more otherwise. You and Delilah have my complete and utter admiration. You're truly an inspiration -- I freely admit to being a wimp in comparison.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Anne Barton said...

Hi Kristina! Just wanted to add my congrats. Can't wait to see you in DC. :) --Anne

chanceofbooks said...

Wow! I think we may have broken our comment record! Way to go Kristina!

What a great call story! You are very inspiring--you never stopped believing in your book.

Thanks for joining us!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Yes, my oldest son clearly has determination in the blood. He actually managed to scale the "childproof" gate to let his shorter buddy out, and made it a quarter-mile down the road before I spotted them from my car (on the way to pick them up), walking with a good Samaritan who was leading them back.WAIT! Kris...Mr. Escape Artist is the same boy who said he wanted to come live with me??? You tell him as a result of his recent nefarious endeavors, that offer has been revoked!

Kristina McMorris said...

Deb - Bummer! My agent doesn't have a British accent. I'll have to get her to work on that!

Laurie - "swoon-worthy"... ooh, I love that. When you're a big-time NYT bestseller, can I use that for my cover quote? :)

I can't tell you how excited I am to know that soon I'll be handing the actual (non-Kinko's printed) book to my grandmother, who inspired the story. She hasn't read a word of it yet. Come to think of it, maybe I should have her read it for historical errors BEFORE it goes to print...

Then again, I wouldn't want to be spared public lashing on Amazon reviews, would I?! Ha.

Thanks for stopping by!

Kristina McMorris said...

Eli - "nefarious endeavors"?! Seriously. What human being uses language like that in everyday conversation?.... LOL.

Oh, and it's too late. My munchkin has already packed his Spiderman backpack and is headed toward your house. Not sure of his arrival time, but I think I saw him jump on Greyhound #45. Be sure to invite me to his graduation dinner, okay? :)

Regarding the record breaking... do I win a set of steak knives? A juicer? What about a Sham-Wow?

Tracey O'Hara said...

Kristina - My sistah – Pixie and otherwise. That is such a cool call story – I love it. I am so happy for you - you so deserve this success.

My ‘Call’ could not have been better or more excruciating. I sold while attending the Australian National Romance Writer’s conference. Like you my lip were sealed except for CPs. It was so hard not being able to tell anyone. But unlike you I only had to wait until the next day – once it was don and we said yes I was able to tell everyone. The next morning at the first plenary session the then president, Anne Gracie, announced the first sales, and I was the ‘late breaking news’.

It was an awesome place to be when making the first sale.

Caroline said...

Hi Kristina~,
Congratulations! I’m just so thrilled for you!! I remember hearing all about your
story in Dallas when we were 007’s together. I’m really looking forward to reading it.

I had a very special call, one I will never forget---I was out of state and saw I missed a call of whose number I didn’t’ recognize. Quickly going to my messages I was shocked to hear Leah Hultenschmidt’s name and even more excited to hear her ask me to give her a call. First I screamed. Then I had my sister pull the car over so I could collect myself before calling back. I connected with her voice mail and had to wait some more. When we finally did talk I could hear in her voice how wonderful it must feel to make someone’s dream come true.

I look forward to reconnecting with you. Congrats again!!

~Caroline

Kristina McMorris said...

Tracey - What a great story! Definitely sounds familiar. Except the part about your being able to ultimately share the news with a conference full of fellows writers who "get it."

In my case, when we made the deal official, I exchanged a few yays with my agent over the phone, then proceeded to search for matching socks for my kids while doing the daily loop-like prod of "Hurry up, get in the car, get in the car, why aren't you in the car, why did you take your shoes off, why haven't you brushed your teeth yet, didn't I tell you three times to brush your teeth, and PLEASE stop attacking your brother with the nunhucks!"

I did, however, treat myself to a Starbucks latte. :)


Caroline - Thank goodness your sister was driving, not you! What a fun memory. Leah is such a nice person. Congrats on landing a fabulous editor! I couldn't be happier for you. :)

http://kriskennedy.net said...

Kristina~
Huge mega on your sale!! And to such a great editor. :-)

As with most great voices, I could literally *hear* you as I read your post. You're going places, chickie. And it'll be wonderful to watch.

Sorry to be so late to the party!