
Be prepared to sit back and read a while!
I arrived at San Francisco on Tuesday an hour late due to plane difficulties. After a wild ride in an airport shuttle van, I found myself standing in a 10 x 10 room with a single bed, sink, and closet. My toilet was down the hall in a small (just a little larger than the toilet) room and the shower was down the hall in another little cubby hole. The toilet and shower were shared with three other hotel patrons. My cousin and her daughter from Santa Rosa came and took me out to dinner in Little Italy. As I waited on the sidewalk in front of the hotel, three people tripped over my feet and one lady hit me in the leg with her shopping bag. And the sidewalk at those times was not crowded! I tell you there were more people milling the streets there than I've seen in my life other than when I've been at Disneyland!
An hour before my workshop, I left the set-up to grab a quick snack and something to drink at the Starbucks in the Hotel. There I met Sarah from Iowa. Her mother lives in Bend. Later in the day as we passed in the hall, she introduced her sister who was at the conference with her.
At my workshop, I plied the attendees with chocolate and filled them with info as well as making them participate in the process. Those who came up with a character trait first received a gift. Afterwards several approached me and said they learned a lot and a couple more stopped me later in the conference and said they enjoyed my workshop.
I spent the afternoon helping with more of the literacy set-up, then in the evening, I attended the signing as an author. I was excited to sit next to Samantha James. I know her and she is a lovely person. Unfortunately, she ended up not attending the conference due to health reasons. However, I was only lonely( I was on the end of a table) for brief periods. Chapter mates Barb, Deb, Jen, Eli
and Kendra stopped by. Hearts Through History members Kris Kennedy (who won a Golden Heart – way to go Kris!!) Christine Johnson (who was up for several Golden Hearts), Marline Urso, and Denise MacDonald. And a friend I hadn’t seen since a conference in Vancouver British Columbia, Jenny Anderson stopped by, also Regan Taylor, Joan Swan (also up for a Golden Heart- you so should have won!) Leah Vale and Lisa. And I was visited by Rose City members Darla Luckenbaugh, Maggie Lynch, and Lynn Jordan. Plus Wild Rose Press Editor and Kelly, andWRP authors Helen and Viola. I sold eight books and had a great time! I'm not sure what was up, but when I was down to two books, I borrowed two of Samantha's(You know those regencies are thick and sturdy books) to prop up my book and some man took a picture of me using her books. So Samantha, if he tries to use it to blackmail me, I know you are a sweet person and had you been there, you would have loaned me the books. I rounded out the night with a gathering of MWV attendees.
My agent appointment this day didn’t go so well. Yes, the agent does represent historical, but not westerns. She doesn’t even like them. But we had nine minutes to chat about other things and I gave her a candy bar at the end and she thanked me profusely, saying she could use the energy. I went to the nearest mall and had lunch at the food court and who should stand next to me waiting for her food, but the agent I pitched to the day before. I made a comment about them letting her out and she pointed at me and said, “I visited with you yesterday and you made me lonely for my pony.” Then we talked about other things, her food arrived, and she left. But I scored one more time to make an impression. After she left, Linda Needham showed up and we sat and chatted while I finished and she ate her lunch. Then we walked back to the hotel together and had a lovely chat.
That afternoon I ditched workshops and bought Ghirardelli chocolate for the dh and my friend Karen, sour dough bread for another friend, and a couple shirts at Old Navy. I walked into the Fourth Street Deli and Bar for dinner and Patrice, Vicki Lyle’s daughter, and her friend, Viola, were sitting at a table and invited me to join them. We had a great time visiting. Then we realized the time and hustled to our rooms to get beautiful for the awards ceremony. I met Deb and we stood in front of the doors waiting when Kendra and friends arrived. Kendra’s friends disappeared and Eli showed up saying she’d save seats for us since she was sitting with the Golden Heart finalist, Joan Swan. We found the reserved seats and had a wonderful time watching the recipients and the funny Powerpoint presentations between groupings. There were only two finalist that were westerns. I told Deb- I think it’s about time a western won a RITA- so you know what my next goal is! As soon as the ceremony was over, I hightailed it to my motel as I had a 4 am wake up call to get to the airport for my 7am flight. But of course, I didn’t sleep well and ended up with three hours of sleep, getting up at 3 am and writing this blog in long hand on a pad because I didn’t want to use the energy to open up the computer!
19 comments:
Paty -- First of all, you look adorable in your picture!
Secondly, it seems I'm always the first to respond to the blog. This is because I have no life, or rather, my life lately is right here at this desk. So there.
Thirdly, what a time you had! It sounds like you charmed your way through the conference. This is great. I'm so glad your plan to socialize more worked out well -- it seems you ran into someone you knew every time you turned around. It's fun, isn't it?
I did miss going. Had I gone, what would my goals have been? I guess to do what you did, be open to the things around me, make more friends, see people I care about, gather some experiences, attend a work shop or two...
I'm glad you found a kindred soul in an agent. Does she seem like someone you would like to work with in the future?
Personally, I'm glad you're all back -- we missed you.
Paty, It sounds like you had a wonderful time.
I've heard of people hitting you on purpose to distract you so they can steal your wallet or purse. Hope the woman who whacked you with her shopping bag did neither.
Your room and bathroom facilities are a hoot. Guess SF motto is: "Wiggle room unnecessary." Maybe that's why you got your feet tromped on. Ha!
I'm excited to hear your agent appointment went well. But disappointed there was no bathroom romp follow-up. By the way what color were her shoes?
If I attend an RWA National conference I'll most likely faint from the over exposure of people, pick myself up off the carpet, hit every table laden with chocolate and snatch a few free books to equal the 2 pounds I'd have remaining in my suitcase.
I'd most likely spend the rest of the conference with a chocolate covered grimace and slide into a seat in the back row of each workshop I selected.
The night of the big gala I'd plague sickness, curl up in bed and eat more chocolate. Does anyone want to share a room with me? Ha!
Glad to have you back home sister!
Way to go, Paty!
That is TERRIFIC news about the agent. Get that submission out this week!!!!
Had I gone to conference this year, I think my goal would have been to a) collect as many books as possible for my TBR pile, b) network with book reviewers, c) take workshops on conflict and query letters.
Wavy, my cp - Joan Swan - had a fan girl moment when she met Suzanne Brockman at one of the booksignings. Made me think of you - you would have been so proud. :)
Sounds like you had a fab time, Paty! Great picture! Loved the blog post. I've read a few random blogs of other writers attending the conference last week and there seemed to be so much excitement going on.
If I were to ever attend the national conference, I'd probably spend most of my time meeting new people. Crowds put me off, but intimate gatherings of writers in the corners of a hotel lobby, in the bar, or around a restaurant table always energize me. I have mountains of business cards I've collected from every conference I've ever attended and I continue to converse with a few of these folks via email. It's so fun to make new connections.
Where will nationals be held next year?
Karen -- I believe Nationals are in Washington next year, as in D.C. not state.
Alice, you do have a life. It is sitting in front of the computer and telling tales that make people dive into another world for awhile. It just happens to take us endless hours to give others a few hours of enjoyment! LOL
Thanks, I did have a great time, but I'm even happier to be back home and back to my characters!
Lori, the agent interview that went well- she had on black loafers. And she was a very nice woman who grew up in New Zealand so she had a wonderful accent. And to answer Alice's second question, I think we hit it off well, I'm just trying to decipher her two websites since she told me to follow the submission guidelines on her website and be sure to put at the top that we visited at San Fran so she'd look at it first.
And Lori, nationals isn't for everyone. It is a crush of women. You would be more suited for a smaller conference like Emerald City. You would get the same type of workshops and be less intimidated by all the people.
Wavy, I didn't go to any of the free book signings because with what they give you I figured I'd be over my weight limit if I got any, though my daughter is kicking me that I didn't go get any inspirational. ~sigh~
Karen, nationals is in DC next year. If I had won a free conference I would be so there. But as a volunteer I put my name in a hat and I wasn't the one picked for that day. So unless I get a publisher who pays advances between now and then, I most likely won't be there. I can only afford a trip like this every three or so years.
Welcome home, Paty!
Thank you for detailing your experiences at National. I've only been to one RWA National conference (in Reno several years ago) and thoroughly enjoyed it. But I did miss my doggies terribly--imagine that. LOL!
Sounds like you met your goal and then some of socializing. Good for you! Glad you connected with an agent and found some common ground. You didn't even have to slip her a proposal under the bathroom stall.
National conference is a wonderful smorgasbord experience of schmoozing, attending workshops, getting free books and coming home exhausted but motivated. I love the entire experience.
I really enjoyed reading you experiences!
It's going:
DC
Nashville
New York City
San Diego
Atlanta
I'm going to start saving for Nashville. I could see flying into St. Louis and leaving T with her adoring grandmas and then driving down to Nashville. Ditto New York. I think I'll start putting $$ aside and see which one I end up at.
Thanks, Wavy. I may set my sights on New York, then. I really wanted to go the last time it was there. I have a niece in New Jersey and a cousin in upstate New York, so I can surely make it a triple duty trip. And who knows where I'll be in my career by then? I might even have a mass market PB to sign! That would be the ultimate. 8^)
Paty--thanks for writing it all down. It was almost as good as being there. :-) And I agree-love that picture.
I'm hoping to go to the DC one next year, as we have relatives in Jersey. If I have an agent by then, my professional goals will be to meet with her and definitely to meet my editor face to face. If I don't have an agent, it may be to scope out some possibles. To get all the info on the industry I can, as I'm obsessive that way. To see Nora Roberts q/a, as I always find that really inspirational. To just enjoy being a writer, too.
Hoping I can meet at least some of you there, if I'm fortunate enough to pull it off.
Flo -- Way too early to know who's going, but we always do some sort of chapter meet, so we'll all get to meet you (those of us who can go, that is...) I loved the reasons you expressed for going. Right on...
Wow, Paty, what a post! I'm getting ready to blog about Nationals and I'm not sure I have it in me, LOL. It was great fun meeting you. Always nice to meet another TWRP author. Congratulations on your success with your pitches. I wish you the best!
Paty,
Okay, so what hotel were you in? It sounds like a fitting end to the Shuttle ride. :-)
Thanks for your kind words about my GH win! It was a pleasure to meet you at the Literacy Signing, and I'm glad I helped make sure you weren't lonely! :-)
You did a nice job at Authors' Panel at the HHRW breakfast! Oh, and I went to the Blake Snyder workshop too, and really enjoyed it.
'See' you on the HHRW loop!
Kris
Helen, it was wonderful to meet you in person and hang out.
Kris, I was at the Mosser across the street. (much more affordable- hence the community toilet) Thank you for your kind words. And I will "see" you on the HHRW loop!
Genene and Flo, Yes, I did have a good time. Better than I had figured. If I sell to a bigger publisher in the next 8 months, I may be in DC, but I'm thinking it will be another three years before I make another national conference.
Post a Comment