Saturday, August 02, 2008

SATURDAY CHECK IN

Paty is away, either attacking agents and editors in bathrooms, touring Alcatraz or attending workshops, who knows. Tonight they will all attend the award show and the desert gala afterwards and then pack up and fly home. Saturday is always my least favorite day at Nationals as a lot of what I look forward to is over and I'm getting ready to leave. And three hours of sitting in a chair watching people get awards isn't my cup of tea. I believe this year, Wavy would argue with me, mainly because of the emcee.

I renamed the check in! I don't believe there are any challenges right now, just a lot of us with personal goals or inviolate deadlines. If you would like to issue a challenge, feel free to do so.

My check-in: I'm working toward a Sept. 15th deadline and am on page 88 of about 280. It seems insurmountable to me, but somehow I will accomplish it. The uneasy thing is I sent in the proposal and haven't heard back that it was approved and won't until after August 7th. By the time I finally know the direction I have taken (something of a deviation) actually works in NY, I'll have less than 5 weeks left. If they don't like it, ack!

Oh well, all I can do is mosey along the way I am, trailing a bug zapper behind in the hopes it fries the self doubts that like to sneak up from the rear and attack as you are trying to move forward.

So, where are you? Working (the day job), loafing, thinking, plotting, child rearing, gardening, writing or doing related writing chores?

8 comments:

Flo Moyer said...

I'm here! Alice--good to see your progress. I've written you a couple times, probably the emails aren't going through for some reason.

I have just finished a pretty good three chapters--just have to change a couple things and make sure it all flows and makes sense. Then polish up my synopsis, and I can finally get a new proposal to Steeple Hill. So I'm here at desk working really hard--and occasionally checking the many blogs about what's going on at the RWA National Conference. (Hoping desperately to make it to next year's. :-)
Flo

Alice Sharpe said...

Flo, good to hear from you.

Congrats getting the proposal ready for Steeple Hill. Please keep us informed as the process continues. It's always fun to hear what other writers are up to.

If we both make it to next years Nationals, we can meet!!!

I have to say this -- I have friends asking me why I didn't go to S.F as it's so close -- well same side of the country, I'll grant you that. But other than the dh's woes, I was dragging my feet before this. The plane fare isn't that different if it's in S.F. or Washington, D.C. The conference fees are comparable, etc... But I grew up 90 miles from Frisco, it was the default city for me as a kid and so is pretty familiar. I love traveling to cities I haven't been in before. So consider making the trip next year -- I can't recall where it is -- and go if family and finances allow even if it's across the country.

chanceofbooks said...

Alice-- You're 1/3 of the way there with 6 weeks to go!!!!!!!!!! That's AWESOME. And, of course, NY will love it. :)

I'm editing. Slowly. Slowly. Slowly. I confess that hanging out on the Suzanne Brockmann message board has been eating up a bit more of my time than it should. Going cold turkey now.

I'm closing in on goal #1 which is to get enough edited to be able to submit to contests. Slow. Slow. Slow. But getting there.

The baby started walking on her own this week--she toddled 6 or 7 steps across the living room a few times now. She also turned 10 months this week.

Have a great week everyone!

Alice Sharpe said...

Wavy, it looks like you and Tavy are both taking baby steps toward your goals -- yours to enter contests, her for world domination.

Way to go!

Lori Barber said...

Alice, Congrats on your wonderful progress. You're an inspiration.

In those ever narrowing free moments at this time in my life I'm still rewriting and adding a second POV to my WIP.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Alice, congrats on the progress!

Wavy, congrats on Tavy walking! What a momentous "first" for baby and parents.

Flo, wonderful news on finishing three chapters. I'll keep my fingers crossed you get good news on your proposal.

I'm editing the manuscript that will be released in late February 2009. Not too far into it, but I don't think it's going to have as many changes as I thought. So that's good news.

My kiddo posted an announcement about my April release and current contest on a MySpace bulletin board and said he will help me put together a MySpace page. Maybe I'll incorporate some of the more popular suggestions from my promo survey on Thursday. And I'll be looking for some glittery spandex for my Elvis impersonation in September. :)

Paty Jager said...

Hey! How did you know I attacked agents in bathroom stalls??? Were you a fly on the wall? LOL

I'm back! Exhausted! And I'll have my whole experience on the blog tomorrow since that is my day!

For my check-in- I came out of my shell more this conference and made more friends! So- in a way, I attain one of the goals I set for myself at the conference. I'll try to catch up on the week's blogs, but not sure I'll get there!

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty, welcome home! It sounds as though you enjoyed yourself! Yea!

I can't wait to read your blog tomorrow.

Lori -- "ever narrowing free moments"? I hope everything is okay but if you're talking about how much less time there is in twenty-four hours nowadays, I'm all over that.

Genene- You're editing a Feb. release and I'm writing a March. I have a feeling I'll be editing this book the day after it's done. Ack!

Congrats on the MySpace page. In my spare shopping moments, I'll keep an eye out for glittery spandex. LOL, now that would make a good promo shot.