Saturday, August 30, 2008

New challenge

Well folks, earlier this week we talked about starting up a new challenge and several people expressed interest. So let's do it! I was thinking, to start, let's do a smaller time frame. Each of us are at different stages of projects, so you'll have to adapt this to fit your needs.

My challenge for us all is to finish our project by the end of September. For me, that's finishing the first draft of my WIP before university starts back up on September 29. Does anyone else have a manuscript they are near finishing, or edits that they think they can complete by the end of the month?

Just a four week committment. What do you think? Are you up for it? State your goal in the comments so we can keep track and support each other.

By the way, go Ducks! This is where I'm headed today, and many Saturdays this fall. Autzen Stadium. Sigh, I love football season.

6 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Lisa -- This challenge fits perfectly with my deadline, so count me in!

I'm on page 260, last chapter though there will be lots of going back and fixing things even though I've been going back and fixing as I write.

You had to show a picture of the Ducks, didn't you. Our rabid little Beaver is going to have a cow.

(Go Ducks!)

Kendra said...

Go Ducks! I hope we get the game on TV.

My goal is to finish revisions on one MS and do the first half of revisions of another. I almost said the whole MS but I know that won't happen. I'm also taking the story magic class for the month of Sept that Karen mentioned and hopefully I'll brainstorm a new MS.

chanceofbooks said...

Deep breath. I'm in. I'm going to get my WIP ready for contest entries--finish editing the first 60 pages and write the synopsis.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Lisa!

Your post earlier in the week about a writing challenge got me thinking about challenges in general and whether they help my process in getting projects done. I tend to underestimate the time it takes for projects, then get frustrated because I don't finish them in the timeframe I think I should--even though I know better. I'm obviously just rambling here.

I am moving back into a writing cycle in September. I'll be working on the first book in my nine-book series. It's about three-quarters written, so I'll finish that and do edits, as well as make sure it ties into the series well. In the process of doing that, I'll do more plotting on the other eight books, I'm sure. With all the house and yard projects that need to be completed before the rains set in, I've given myself until the end of October to finish this book. That doesn't quite fit with our challenge timeline of the end of September, but I'll do a read-through and decide how much I need to have done by then.

Next week, I'll be doing a read-through of a story for a Valentine's Day 2010 anthology to decide how much editing needs to be done with it. Chris Young, Chris Kraemer (former MWVRWA member) and I will be doing that anthology for Chris Young's new publishing company--which will be fun in itself. We've also been invited to write "walk-on" parts (like they do in movies) which will be auctioned off at a benefit for the animal shelter here in Salem in October.

I'll also be doing a basket of goodies for that benefit. If anyone would like to donate books or promo items for that basket, please let me know. Or if you want to do a basket of your own, I can give you the contact person for the benefit.

I also have one more contest drawing (Sept. 4) to promote SONGS OF THE HEART before I move into contests for my December release. And more promo ideas to work on in September!

Sheesh! How far I've meandered from the original question of "are you up for a writing challenge." But, yes, count me in--with modifications, as usual. :)

Thanks, Lisa, for keeping us on task for this!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

The rabid little beaver does NOT like this picture!!!!!

I'm SOOOO up for the challenge. My deadline's Oct 15, and I'd love to have this sucker done by the end of Sept. so I have two weeks to tweak if I want. Plus, DH's 40th bday is 10/10 and I have to have some time to get ready for his big party. (Methinks the house is going to be a disaster for the next month...)

Paty Jager said...

I'm in! I want to have the western "mystery" series first book, first draft near completion enough to send out the partial and query.

BTW- I did set up my Monday blog to go out but I guess I blew it! I'm in Princeton. At the Burns library at the moment downloading 300 + e-mails and taking care of business.

I'll be sporadically on the net next week while in Baker City babysitting. ~sigh~ to get back to normal!!!