Friday, August 15, 2008

20 questions

Since Elisabeth is away tanning and relaxing in my favorite place on this earth (trying not to be too jealous, but it's difficult), I'm going to post today. I'm going to just post a bunch of silly questions. It will be fun to see what you all answer, and maybe it will give us ideas for character quirks.

1. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
2. What's your first thought when you wake up?
3. What do you think about before you go to bed?
4. If you had to pick another genre to write, what would it be?
5. If you had to choose another career, (not a writer or your day job) what would it be?
6. You just won $1,000,000 - what do you do with it?
7. Name up to five celebrity crushes.
8. What's the first thing you notice in the opposite sex?
9. If you could live anywhere in the world (other than where you are now), where would you live?
10. If you only had one vacation opportunity for the rest of your life, what place would you visit?
11. Name one thing you miss about being a kid.
12. Name one thing you love about being an adult.
13. Do you have any hidden talents?
14. If you got to spend one night in a mall, by yourself, what would you do? Everything is open...
15. If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to?
16. Are you a collector of anything?
17. What's your all-time favorite book?
18. If you could have lunch with any 3 people (alive or dead and they all speak English, magically), who would they be?
19. What's your ideal day off?
20. What's your number one pet peeve?

11 comments:

Lisa Pulliam said...

1. The ability to clean things by pointing at them. I'd never have to hand wash another dish in my life! Or use antibacterial soap. Ha!
2. How long can I get away with laying here?
3. I have way too much crap to do. Let's see...there's...
4. Horror
5. A bioarchaeologist. But since I'm pursuing that, I'd say maybe a cook or interior designer (assuming I had those skills).
6. Pay off my debt. Pay off my parent's debt. Buy each of my parents a new car with a wonderful warranty. Buy them a condo in Kona, Hawaii and a huge airline giftcard. Do a lot of traveling. Set up some sort of savings trust thing where interest went to a good charity. Save most of it for family.
7. Just five? Hmm...Gerard Butler, Johnny Depp, Ryan Reynolds, Ethan Embry and Gabe Saporta.
8. Hair color
9. Edinburgh, Scotland
10. Edinburgh, Scotland
11. Being able to get away with my current level of immaturity without people giving me funny looks when I laugh at inappropriate things.
12. Living by myself!!!!
13. Other than being able to comfortably live in a mess? I'd say it's that I can cross my eyes, suck in my cheeks and stick out my tongue simultaneously.
14. Eat a ridiculous amount of doughy pretzels with nacho cheese. Look through the bookstore. Try on clothes, then feel bad about the pretzels I ate. And play with gadgets. And definitely test out make-up.
15. Isabella
16. Used to collect smiley face things. Now I collect Catto Whisky things.
17. Arm in Arm by Remy Charlip.
18. Let's revisit #7...Gabe Saporta, Gerard Butler and Ethan Embry ;) But it would be tempting to have Alexander the Great there. Or the dead guys I just excavated. Yeah! That's what I'd do, Gabe Saporta and the two skeletons (but obviously not as skeletons).
19. Reading somewhere nice and cool.
20. People who drive slow when it's 55 MPH, then continue their speed when it drops to 45 or 50 MPH. What the heck? Can't you match your speed proportionately to the speed limit?

Paty Jager said...

1. The ability to feed everyone in the world.
2. What I have to do today.
3. What I didn't accomplish or what I need to accomplish the next day.
4.Mystery
5. Advertising
6.Put it in the bank and use the interest to travel and help our kids get the houses of their dreams.
7.Tom Selleck, Peirce Brosnan, Sam Elliott, Sean Connery, George Strait
8. Smile- twinkle in their eye
9.All over. I'd travel.
10.A trip around the US visiting all the museums.
11. Free time
12. Making my own decisions
13. Such as? Sewing, cake decorating, play the clarinet
14. Go home- I don't really like shopping
15. Tricia
16. pigs
17. Little HOuse on the Prairie books
18. Agatha Christie, Chief Joseph, my mom
19. Sitting in a chair reading a book
20. Rude people

Alice Sharpe said...

!. I would fly
2. I'm still sleepy
3. I'm sleepy
4. Cozy mystery
5. World famous artist
6. I divide it between family members
7. I didn't do celebrity crushes as a kid, I don't do them now
8. face
9. Hawaii
10. England
11. the feeling of unending time
12. self determination
13. Alas, no.
14. Does the night in the mall include someone else's credit cards? If it's my money, I buy what I need or want. If it someone else's money, I buy gifts for everyone
15. As a child, I wanted to be named Linda, Nancy or Carol. Those were very popular names in my age group. I hated Alice. Now I'm Alice and I wouldn't change.
16. I collect ugly cats (figurines)
17. I guess the book(s) that made the most profound impression on me were The LOrd of the Rings trilogy.
18. My Dad, my friend Joanna and my friend Kathy (all deceased) I would not like to have lunch with strangers or celebrities no matter how fascinating they appear to be.
19. A day on a nice beach followed by a tropical breeze, a tropical drink and a tropical dinner shared with my dh
20. Mean spirited people or those who can't handle the needs of others because "It's too hard." Buck up, think about someone else.

Thanks for putting up a blog, Lisa. It was fun seeing what you and Paty had to say!!!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

First of all, my apologies for missing my blog day yesterday. I have not had e-mail or Internet service since Tuesday, when I was supposed to be getting updated service with a faster-than-the-speed-of-light modem and got...nothing. Even the old modem wouldn't work. Then I was out of town on Thursday and got caught up in a number of other things so I didn't even think to call anyone until way late at night. OK, enough excuses!

The positive spin: yes, you can survive without the Internet. The downside: playing catch-up--which I am going back to doing.

Love your "silly" questions, Lisa! Even if I don't get back to post something, these are wonderful to generate character quirks!

chanceofbooks said...

1. If you could have any superpower, what would it be? I'm with Lisa--I want the ability to clean things by wiggling my nose like Jeannie.
2. What's your first thought when you wake up? Where's the baby?
3. What do you think about before you go to bed? I play out whole scenes in my head as I fall asleep. Sometimes I re-write the book I just read, or expand a scene in my head, other times I work through my own story. I've done this as long as I can remember. I fall asleep with my characters chatting away.
4. If you had to pick another genre to write, what would it be? Well, since I'm already trying YA, I can't say that. I think I'd do nonfiction biographies or self-help books in another life.
5. If you had to choose another career, (not a writer or your day job) what would it be? If I had to do it over again, I'd either finish my pre-med program and then become a genetic counselor, or I'd become a high school social studies teacher, or I'd get my PhD in medical anthropology. I think about the genetic counselor road is the most compelling for me.
6. You just won $1,000,000 - what do you do with it? Pay off our home loan, renovate our attic and add a second bath, buy a hybrid SUV, and move my parents out here into a nice little in-law cottage. Take an Alaskan cruise when T's old enough to enjoy coming along. Invest the rest.
7. Name up to five celebrity crushes. Always changing. Helo on Battlestar, Jane from Firefly, Aaron Piersol (Olympic swimmer), Phil Daulhauser (sp? Olympic Beach Volleyball play--yum, yum, Cuba Gooding Jr.,
8. What's the first thing you notice in the opposite sex? Jaw, smile, and voice. If he doesn't have a good smile, nothing else matters :)
9. If you could live anywhere in the world (other than where you are now), where would you live? Not sure. I love the mountains and the ocean though, so I could see moving closer to one of those.
10. If you only had one vacation opportunity for the rest of your life, what place would you visit? Hawaii.
11. Name one thing you miss about being a kid. Unlimited reading time!
12. Name one thing you love about being an adult. Doing my own grocery shopping and cooking.
13. Do you have any hidden talents? All of mine are pretty obvious. I talk too much to keep anything cool a secret :P
14. If you got to spend one night in a mall, by yourself, what would you do? Everything is open... I'd try on evening dresses :) The fancier the better. I'd spritz myself with faboo perfume, then wearing the poofiest ball gown I could find, I'd go and spend the rest of the night in the bookstore :)
15. If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to? Cecilia--my middle name.
16. Are you a collector of anything? Classic YA fiction. Patchwork tie-quilts. Cookbooks. I try to limit the collecting b/c my husband has MANY, MANY different collections collecting dust.
17. What's your all-time favorite book? Anne of Green Gables.
18. If you could have lunch with any 3 people (alive or dead and they all speak English, magically), who would they be? Suzanne Brockmann, My great-grandmother, and Carl Sagan.
19. What's your ideal day off? Unlimited ice cream and unlimited new release romance novels :)
20. What's your number one pet peeve? Annoying noises--slurping, whistling, rattling, music, beeping etc.

GREAT FUN!!!

chanceofbooks said...

Alice--I just wanted to say that your answer about having dinner with deceased relatives really resonated with me, and I think I'd change my answer in agreement. It would be too precious a gift to waste on someone you've never met. What if they were a horrid conversationlist?

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post yesterday--your blog was very, very thought provoking!!!!

Karen Duvall said...

1. Fly
2. work
3. WIP
4. women's fiction (book club kind)
5. chef (no, I'm not a great cook, but I enjoy cooking)
6. pay off the mortgage
7. David Boreanis, George Clooney, Johnny Depp, Russell Crowe, Scott Bakula
8. eyes
9. Hawaii
10. London
11. no responsibility
12. My independence
13. Not that I can talk about
14. Try on clothes from all my favorite department stores
15. Caridee
16. Do dust bunnies count?
17. Imajica by Clive Barker
18. JK Rowling, Stephen King, Elizabeth Winick (my agent)
19. Reading
20. Incompetent people (there's no excuse)

Deborah Wright said...

1. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Invisibility
2. What's your first thought when you wake up?
"Boy, was that a weird dream!" (and they always are)
3. What do you think about before you go to bed?
Whatever current story I'm telling myself before I go to sleep (not one that I'm writing). Right now it's a fantasy set in a land with ancient asian influences.
4. If you had to pick another genre to write, what would it be?
Hard science fiction.
5. If you had to choose another career, (not a writer or your day job) what would it be?
Astronomer
6. You just won $1,000,000 - what do you do with it?
Quit my day job! Invest. Set up trusts for the kids in the family. Travel.
7. Name up to five celebrity crushes.
Funny, but my "crushes" have always been on characters, not on actors or real people. In that respect, some of my favorites are: Jack O'Neill (Richard Dean Anderson), Gary Hobson (Kyle Chandler), Sam Beckett (Scott Bakula), Rupert Giles (Anthony Head), Dan and Casey from Sports Night (Josh Charles and Peter Krause; technically two characters, but as far as I'm concerned they're a package deal).
8. What's the first thing you notice in the opposite sex?
Shallow though it is...his height.
9. If you could live anywhere in the world (other than where you are now), where would you live?
New Zealand
10. If you only had one vacation opportunity for the rest of your life, what place would you visit?
Ireland
11. Name one thing you miss about being a kid.
Having every possibility in the world stretched before me.
12. Name one thing you love about being an adult.
Being responsible for my own destiny (making my own decisions), right or wrong, good or bad.
13.Do you have any hidden talents?
Other than being able to leap tall buildings in a single bound? Oops, guess that's not hidden anymore! ;-)
14. If you got to spend one night in a mall, by yourself, what would you do? Everything is open...
Other than be bored silly? Okay, I take that back -- I'd camp out in the chain book store and read to my heart's content.
15. If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to?
I honestly can't imagine being called anything else.
16. Are you a collector of anything?
Books (of course) and Breyer Horses.
17. What's your all-time favorite book?
Do I have to choose just one?? If so, then I'd have to say the Lord of the Rings (yes, a trilogy, but since Tolkien considered it one book...)
18. If you could have lunch with any 3 people (alive or dead and they all speak English, magically), who would they be?
My grandmother (on my father's side), my father and my aunt (my father's sister). There are so many things I wish I could ask them and tell them.
19. What's your ideal day off?
A day all to myself -- with no responsibilities, no deadlines, no work of any kind -- where I can veg out and/or do whatever I choose.
20. What's your number one pet peeve?
People who use corporate bureaucracy and politics to further their own careers instead of working for the best interests of the company.

Flo Moyer said...

Love this!!!

1.Superpower--the ability to take away my son's mental handicaps.
2. First thought when you wake up? "Do I feel good, or feel bad?"
3. Think about before bed? My book, with a prayer I wake up with the synopsis all set up in my head.
4. Pick another genre? Historical romance. Or mainstream suspense.
5. If you had to choose another career...? Work with computer problems troubleshooting. Yes, definitely
6. You just won $1,000,000? Pay off debts and give my sister some free money, since she works hard enough as it is.
7. Name up to five celebrity crushes.---None for character or looks. I do like funny celebrities. But not to the crush point.
8. What's the first thing you notice in the opposite sex? ----If he's my husband or not. If he's not my husband, I don't notice. Grin.
9. If you could live anywhere in the world...where? Jersey shore.
10. If you only had one vacation for the rest of your life...? RWA conference for vacation for just me, so I could meet all of you in person.
11. Name one thing you miss about being a kid. Jersey at Christmas time. Walking most places without worrying much about crime.
12. Name one thing you love about being an adult. Having the nerve not to be nice when someone is mean to me.
13. Do you have any hidden talents? Nope. Mine are all out in the open.
14. One night in a mall, by yourself? I wouldn't. I'd be too paranoid someone would break in and get me.
15. Change your first name, what would you change it to? Erin. (Even before my niece, Erin, was born. Always loved that name.)
16. Are you a collector of anything?
Really pretty Barbie dolls, especially the Christmas ones.
17. What's your all-time favorite book?
Any one I've just sold.
18. If you could have lunch with any 3 people...? The head of a charity for babies in need I've only met over the internet, and...Marva Collins, who opened a private school in inner city Chicago, turned kids around people wanted to give up on, and inspired me when I taught my son how to read, and...not sure. I like to meet people I really have respect for.
19. What's your ideal day off? I'm living that each day.
20. What's your number one pet peeve? People who have brains but refuse to use them.
Flo

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I love this. I'm playing along late...

1. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
The ability to poof from place to place (I hate flying!).

2. What's your first thought when you wake up?
"Coffee. Now."

3. What do you think about before you go to bed?
How can I fix that scene?

4. If you had to pick another genre to write, what would it be?
Paranormal. Though I am writing it, I just haven't sold it yet.

5. If you had to choose another career, (not a writer or your day job) what would it be?
I'd own a small,corner bookstore, with an espresso counter where I could blab about my favorite books.

6. You just won $1,000,000 - what do you do with it?
The same thing I'm doing now...just with more money. :)

7. Name up to five celebrity crushes.
Paul Walker, Paul Walker, Paul Walker, Paul Walker, Paul Walker.

8. What's the first thing you notice in the opposite sex?
eyes

9. If you could live anywhere in the world (other than where you are now), where would you live?
Hmmm...I'm not sure. Have to think about that some more.

10. If you only had one vacation opportunity for the rest of your life, what place would you visit?
No idea. There are so many places I still want to see!

11. Name one thing you miss about being a kid.
lack of responsibility

12. Name one thing you love about being an adult.
being a parent...can you tell I've had a week away from the gremlins and I'm rested and missed them?

13. Do you have any hidden talents?
I'm good with colors and decorating.

14. If you got to spend one night in a mall, by yourself, what would you do? Everything is open...
egad. Now that's a tough one. Um...I think I'd get bored pretty fast.

15. If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to?
Her Royal Highness

16. Are you a collector of anything?
Junk. I save way too much crap.

17. What's your all-time favorite book?
Perfect by Judith McNaught.

18. If you could have lunch with any 3 people (alive or dead and they all speak English, magically), who would they be?
Paul Walker, Paul Walker...oh wait...three different people???? LOL. Um...I really have no clue. Having a meal with someone you admire is really tough...I was tongue tied through the whole breakfast with Brenda Novak and her editor. This is another of those "I need to think about it questions."

19. What's your ideal day off?
A day at the beach with a good book...I just had 7 of those days. :)

20. What's your number one pet peeve?
People who are rude.

Anonymous said...

1. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
--The power to command all things and make them do MY will. Yeah, I want to be god-like. LOL

2. What's your first thought when you wake up?
--Hmm... I wonder how much longer I can hold it until my bladder explodes?

3. What do you think about before you go to bed?
--Did anyone bother to lock the front door?

4. If you had to pick another genre to write, what would it be?
--Science Fiction (and be good at it).

5. If you had to choose another career, (not a writer or your day job) what would it be?
--Naked table dancer. Just kiddin... Um, probably archeologist or actress.

6. You just won $1,000,000 - what do you do with it?
--Duh, spend it. Oh, and maybe share it. Okay, fine. I'd invest too. Sheesh!

7. Name up to five celebrity crushes.
--Gerard Butler, Gerard Butler, Gerard Butler, James McAvoy, Brad Pitt pre-Jolie days. In that order.

8. What's the first thing you notice in the opposite sex?
--Mouth, eyes, hands, feet, in that order and that fast.

9. If you could live anywhere in the world (other than where you are now), where would you live?
--A private island that I own and have total control of.

10. If you only had one vacation opportunity for the rest of your life, what place would you visit?
--The United Kingdom, including Scotland, Ireland, England, Wales, Orkney and Hebrides isles.

11. Name one thing you miss about being a kid.
--NOTHING!

12. Name one thing you love about being an adult.
--Control over my own destiny.

13. Do you have any hidden talents?
--Many. Some not so hidden from the dh. LOL

14. If you got to spend one night in a mall, by yourself, what would you do? Everything is open...
--Get myself some See's candy, (because this particular mall has a See's store INSIDE it) and then I'd head over to the book store to snag some great reads, and then off to a furniture store to kick back in a comfy chair or bed to snuggle in and read.

15. If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to?
--Hmm... Can't think of anything at the moment. But my real name is quite boring so you'd think I'd have something really great in mind.

16. Are you a collector of anything?
--I love shoes, but I wouldn't say I collect them.

17. What's your all-time favorite book?
--A Gentleman of France

18. If you could have lunch with any 3 people (alive or dead and they all speak English, magically), who would they be?
--Okay, I would have these three lunches separately...
--Gerard Butler, and I'd want him to whisper Gaelic to me while we enjoyed our lunch, naked. (Okay, since the word Magically was in the question, I went for fantasy too, thus the naked part.)
--My dad-- so I could smack him for dying too early.
--Eve, so I could tell her thanks for being the mother of all living and for making the choices she did in the Garden of Eden.

19. What's your ideal day off?
--No cooking, cleaning, or guilt. Just hours and hours to read and not have to talk to ANYONE!

20. What's your number one pet peeve?
--LIARS!! Ugh! I hate to be lied to. Even stupid little white ones that are supposed to save my feelings or some sort of crap. Lame!

That was fun, Lisa! I loved reading everyone's answers. :)