Current Project: Untitled RS
Status: Chapter 7
Status: Chapter 7
This week is the official start of summer for me. The kids get out of school on Thursday, and my writing schedule will fly out the window. A few months back we did a little goal setting and I believe I stated I wanted to have this book finished before Nationals. BWAHAHAHA! See that Chapter seven status up there?
Time to readjust, rethink, and reschedule.
- Any writing done during the day will be a result of bribery. I'm willing to pay the kiddos cash to leave me alone for two or three hour blocks of time. I may even resort to paying the oldest to "babysit" her younger siblings. We've tried this before. It works well if I state she won't get paid if the kids come in my room.
- My evening writing time needs to be just that: writing time. Not chat time or Facebook time. Well, maybe a little of both, but with strictly enforced limits.
- I need a rewards system for myself. If I hit my weekly word count, what should I get? I'm stumped on this one. Any suggestions? I already drink enough Starbucks and buy enough books.
- Eleven weeks of summer for me. Two weeks devoted to conferences and their preparation, so there are nine weeks I should be able to squeeze in writing time. I challenge myself to finish this book before school starts.
- My other summer plans include more time on the elliptical and creating a set study time with the kids so their brains don't shrivel from disuse. Last year we did spelling tests and math worksheets. After school had been out for two weeks, they practically devoured the work.
- Library trips with the kids. I've raised readers. They love the library.
- Schedule weekly trips with the neighbors' kids. During past summers we've tried to set up a day a week where we all meet at a park or fun place for the kids.
What changes in your writing and life schedule during the summer?
10 comments:
You will have a busy summer, Kendra!
I have changing pipes in Princeton and soon we'll start cutting hay, so I"ll be driving tractor, and a wedding in Montana July 3rd, two book signings out of the area, and three county fairs I'm judging at.
Then we'll be gone two weeks in September on our anniversary cruise. I should have this ms done by the end of next week then I have a novella I hope to have done by September so I can start on my mystery idea.
Goals are good. Can you think of something you like that you don't do often? A special dessert, clothing or shoes you've been wanting? That might help on the goal setting.
Have a fun summer!
Ah, summer with the kids.
Not there anymore although summer still changes things in the ways Paty mentioned -- different obligations and chores. I have the benefit of an external, inviable deadline, so I think that helps. When my children were smaller, I didn't write this way, so have no tricks to offer.
The kind of reward system that helps me is of the immediate gratification type. It never has anything to do with food or purchasing something special. It involves the freedom to stop writing. "If I sit here and get three more pages, I'll be on track and I can get up and go about my day without a guilty conscience, knowing I've done my work." That is a huge thing for me. It's the thing that pops into my head if I wake up at 5:00 a.m. and I have a busy day ahead.
I think your schedule sounds like fun. You won't always have your young children around for the summer so speaking as someone who has been there, good for you for enjoying them. Books go on and on -- childhood doesn't. (It just seems to harried mothers that it does...)
Kendra, what a great plan! Enlisting the kids as helpers in reaching your summer objectives is brilliant. I foresee great productivity ahead for you.
Paty, just reading your summer to-do list makes me so tired I want to go back to bed.
I have no summer goals other than to increase my nonfiction article output so I can make more money. :) I've applied for a couple of blogging jobs, too.
I do have one challenge I plan to put lots of effort into meeting, and that's getting my husband out of town for at least one day! There's so many fun things we could do on the weekends, but all he wants to do is play his guitar and work in the yard. Phooey.
Sounds like some good ideas!! I haven't figured the reward thing out for myself yet. Let us know when you get some ideas :) For me, the summer means more writing time. Work is less busy and I have fewer classes - so my evening time frees up.
"It involves the freedom to stop writing. If I sit here and get three more pages, I'll be on track and I can get up and go about my day without a guilty conscience, knowing I've done my work."
This works for me, Alice. I love not having a guilty conscience. When I don't hit my goal, it hangs over me all day.
Paty, where are you going on your cruise?
Alaskan Inside passage. The cruise is actually 7 days then we'll spend the other 7 days between our kids who live up there.
That sounds like fun, Paty!
Nice!! My brother lives in Alaska. My parents visit often and rave about it.
Only eleven weeks of summer? That doesn't sound like much!
As my focus right now is finishing up house and yard projects, I'm glad it's a light writing year for me. Once my doggies and I are resettled onto some property, I'll be back into heavy-duty writing.
Without school-aged kids at home, my schedule doesn't depend on school vacations, but on what projects I'm working on.
As others have said, the memories you make with your kids now will be precious in later years. Those good times will also ensure they come back often when they move away from home. :)
As for rewards, I love bubble baths and just doing nothing for a change.
Post a Comment