Monday, June 29, 2009

Writing tools


Current Project: Leg Shaving Leads to Trouble
Status: First draft

There are a variety of tools all writers keep in their "toolbox." For some, it's a pad of paper and a pen. For others, it's a laptop and a power cord. And you can't forget the chocolate!

Personally, the tools depend on the stage of writing I'm in. If I'm in the plotting stage - I may use a table-top presentation board and sticky notes to plot out some major points of my story. When I want even more details I have an excel spreadsheet that I use for plotting a few chapters at a time.

When it's time to just get out there and write, I usually use my laptop. If I'm somewhere a laptop can't be used (say class...hehe) then I may write longhand. I will sometimes use my Alphasmart 3000 too, but we'll get back to that in a minute.

If I'm editing something, highlighters are an important tool for me. I like to highlight certain elements of my writing a specific color, so I can see where something is lacking, too much of something, repetitive usage, etc.

Okay, back to the Alphasmart 3000. This past weekend I went camping at Lake Billy Chinook. I was wondering how I'd be able to write, as there's no power on the land my inlaws own. They have a generator for the motorhome, but I wasn't sure how often it would be on. My Mac battery lasts about 3 hours, but I was going to be there for a few days. Then a couple days before leaving on the trip, I remembered I had an Alphasmart 3000.

For those of you not familiar, it's basically a keyboard with a small screen. You type on it, it stores the information, then you plug it into your computer and upload the text into Microsoft Word. It originally began as a less expensive tool (versus a computer) to teach children how to type. Students began using it to take notes in class. And writers began using it to write.

I like this tool for many reasons. For starters, it runs on three AA batteries and lasts about 300 hours. The screen is small - only showing four lines at a time, so I can't keep editing. I can only keep writing. It's very lightweight and feels durable. And if it's sunny, it's easier to see this screen than many laptop screens. Plus, the cord used to plug it into a computer is fairly common. I bought this several years ago (and haven't used it in about a year, was still in a box from my move in February) and can't find the original cord. But I have hoards of cords in my place and I found a couple that looked like the outlet on the unit, and they both worked. That's definitely a nice benefit.

There are newer models, this particular model has been discontinued. The newer versions have added features, like syncing with Palm Pilots. They come with rechargable batteries, but the battery life isn't as long (but really, 300 hours is quite a bit and a little more than most need). The Neo and the Dana are the new units, but the Alphasmart 3000 are all over Ebay.

The way it's broken down is in eight "files." It's sort of like the F# keys at the top of a keyboard. You can just start typing in file 1, then when it fills up, move to the next. Or, you can designate one file for a plot outline, one for the characters, and use the rest for writing. I believe you can also download files onto the Alphasmart, in case you wanted some of your most recent writing on there.

So what tools do you all use in your writing?

5 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Lisa, I've always been interested in the Alphasmart but never got around to purchasing one. Like you, I like the fact it doesn't take a lot of power. This last week camping -- that was a real eye opener when it came to battery power. My lap top battery is down to about 40 mins. and finding a plug to charge it or just use as I wrote about drove me crazy. Then I had to sit outside bundled up against the elements (can you say WIND?) Even charging it in the truck only gives me 40 mins. and 40 mins. isn't enough!!!

I've been hesitant to take the Alphasmart plunge for two reasons -- the interfacing spooks me and the size of the screen. I like being able to move within my document although with the sunlight hitting the screen last weekend, I couldn't even find the curser half the time let alone finesse sentences, I just went forward.

I also like the lightweight durable aspect of the machine.... so you've got me thinking maybe it would work for me, maybe it would be worth a try.

As for other tools -- not as gadget happy as you are (!) I use a pencil or pen and any scrap of paper I can find when a thought occurs to me. That's about it. Me and the computer and a scrap of paper or two, but then again, I don't have a job like you do and a million things to shuffle. This desk is my job.
(my job needs a thorough cleaning, ack, it looks awful.)

Going to go look me up an Alphasmart 3000 and see how much they cost.... and see if they interface with a Mac. Thanks for reminding me about them!!!

Alice Sharpe said...

Lisa, kind of reluctant to buy something used when I can't see it first -- I noticed they have something called a Neo now. at $219. it's cheaper than a new battery. Do you know anything about it?

Paty Jager said...

Sounds like you had fun at Lake Billy Chinook. I waved as I drove by on my way to West Linn on Saturday. Were you up at 5:30am to see my wave? LOL

My writing toolbox. Spiral notepads.(I prefer the 6x9 with subject sections) I have one for each book I write. It goes with me everywhere when I begin a book. My ideas, research notes and some scenes are written in it along with my sources.

My laptop. I have a 6 hour battery and I love it! No matter where I travel the battery is lasts long enough for me to work and then recharge it at night.

My camera. Again when I'm out researching I take photos. I like to have a visual of what I'm writing about. If I can't take photos I download from the internet.

Then chocolate and green tea and I have my writing essentials.

I have a QuickPad which is like an Alphasmart. I've used it a couple of times, but it doesn't directly plug into the computer to download. It uses infrared or something and I can't always get it to work. It was given to me when my nephew finished school. (he used it to take notes because his writing was so poor)

Interesting post, Lisa!

Kendra said...

I always forget about my alphasmart. lol. It is cool to watch the work load into Word. It makes me feel very productive.

I like accounting notepads for some freaky reason for writing my notes and brainstorming. You know, the ones with the tiny boxes instead of lines? And post-its. Lots and lots of post-its in many colors.

Lisa Leoni said...

Alice, did you end up ordering the Neo?

Paty, haha I totally saw your wave! ;) I haven't used a Quickpad before. I'm so jealous of your 6 hour battery!!

Kendra, me too! I love watching it upload :) I haven't tried accounting pads before. Good idea!!