Current Project: Untitled RS
Status: Slow
Status: Slow
One of my favorite new blogs and daily reads is Dr. D.P. Lyle's The Writer's Forensic Blog. Anyone who's included forensics in their novels is familar with Dr. Lyle. He's carved out a terrific niche of being the go-to guy for writers with questions. His Howdunnit: Forensics: A Guide for Writers, Forensics For Dummies, Forensics and Fiction: Clever, Intriguing and Downright Odd Questions from Crime Writers, and Murder and Mayhem: A Doctor Answers Medical and Forensic Questions for Mystery Writers are staples on my shelves. I like to include murder and mystery in all my writing, and I enjoy getting into the nitty-gritty when it comes to the forensics. But I have to be accurate. Dr. Lyle is an excellent source.
He started the blog in May. Writing ideas swamp my brain as I read his entries. Here is a sampling of what he's covered in those few weeks.
Touch DNA: DNA can be found in fingerprints. Theoretically it takes one cell for an ID.
It's reaaaaally hard to destroy a human body by fire. Cremation takes hours at temps of 1500 or higher. Your firepit in the back yard won't ever hit that temp. Although many people try.
The roles of barbiturates and alcohol in Jimi Hendrix's death. It may not be as cut and dried as people believe. His alcohol level was low, so why did he vomit and aspirate wine? His barbiturate blood levels are unknown, so if they were low, it could have been murder. If they were high, the death could have been accidental.
The Drew Peterson case. Dr. Lyle gives an excellent explanation of why Kathleen Peterson's manner of death was changed from accidental to homicidal after her body was exhumed.
In an interview with Dr. Cyril Wrecht, a forensic pathologist, Dr. Wecht discusses a case where they traced the final 329 days of a victim's life by the poison levels found in his hair. The vic was poisoned by his wife over a nine month period.
Explanations of putrification, mummification, and adipocere formation after death. Very interesting to me.
Fascination with the morbid isn't for everyone. Lisa is probably the only other writer I know who enjoyed pouring through photos from my online cause of death class. Good times.
Do you have blogs or websites you visit frequently for information for your writing? I imagine there are tons out there for historical writers.
On a sidenote: Enter Jenna Peterson's lottery before the 8th to win a mentorship for a year. Proceeds go to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. A cause now close to my heart.
10 comments:
Kendra, ick! LOL Actually I like to watch CSI (the original)But I don't like that kind of stuff enough to add it to my stories- not yet anyway. ;)
Yes, there are tons of historical blogs and sites that have great information. But the best place I get historical information is through the Hearts Through History online RWA chapter. You post a question there and 4-5 people will come back with all the information you'll ever need on the topic! LOL
I'm thinking of dabbling in the mystery side of romance, so who knows, Dr. D.P. Lyle's blog may be on my list of must reads.
Interesting blog!
Kendra -- I used to love all of this. There wasn't a picture too gruesome or a book too graphic. I read them all, fiction and non-fiction, attended many, many workshops, etc...
It started to change a couple of years ago. I'm not positive why. Though I'm still not squeamish, I tend to write my murders with a minimum of gory details and have stopped reading so many procedurals. It's surprising to find your tastes change though I suppose it shouldn't be. Life is change.
As for websites I visit every day? This one, that's all. I often look around for information but it's mainly on a need to know basis. I'll definitely check out Dr. Lyle's blog, though. I like what you said, that what you read there gets the idea juices rolling.
re side note: If your saying what I think your saying, I'm so sorry. Hope everything turns out well...
Ack, must learn to proof read. You're. You're, not your.
BOOKMARKING THAT BLOG RIGHT NOW! SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!! Off to send to all my forensic anthropology friends... thanks Kendra!!! *g*
Paty, I've heard many people say what a fabulous online chapter that is. It's the same with my online Kiss of Death chapter. Post a question and lots of answers pop up. Writers are a generous group.
Alice, I used to read a lot of Stephen King. All of it. Until one day I just couldn't anymore. Things do change. I'm curious to see what would change for me in ten years. And yes, it was a lymphoma diagnosis for my father. We still don't know the particulars, but he is doing very well.
Lisa, I thought that'd appeal to you. LOL!
Oh that case you link to? Yeah...that's where my family always USED to get our Christmas trees. Not anymore! She put him through the tree cutter!!!!!
Tree cutter?!? Like in FARGO? LOL! Small world.
Oooh. adding this blog to my list of sites to check!
Hi, Kendra!
I confess to being squeamish when it comes to forensic details. I close my eyes when gory scenes come on at the movies and skip over those parts in books.
However, DNA being in fingerprints is one of those fascinating facts for me. Go figure!
Glad your dad is doing well. Sending positive energy for him and your family.
Post a Comment