Monday, June 15, 2009

Impact of movies


Current Project: Leg Shaving Leads to Trouble
Status: Trying to finish first draft

Have you ever watched a movie that inspired you to write? Or made you envious that you hadn't thought of that concept? Or quickly trying to think of a new twist related to that? Or just plain renewed your sense of romance?

I do, every once in a while. But last week I saw a movie that has hit me like no movie before. Yes my lovely friends, this is a Twilight post. *g* I had been avoiding the books for a few reasons. One, I just didn't believe they were as good as everyone said they would be (yes Becky, you were right, they were!!!!) Second, I knew there were going to be four books and I didn't want to start the series early and have to wait it out. Although part of me thought I wouldn't like them, a large part of me thought I'd love them. Many of you know I love me some vampires!! Sort of like Harry Potter, I waited until all the books were out to start reading them.

When I was in Italy last summer, one of the girls brought Twilight. A friend of hers recommended it but she hadn't read it yet. I didn't read it, not a lot of time for reading when I was there. As I was on my way home, my initial, direct flight from Europe was canceled so I was rerouted through Houston. I landed in Houston and went to the bookstore and saw that the fourth book had come out. So I bit the bullet and bought Twilight. I had five hours to kill before my flight to Portland, why not read? I was book deprived. Who'd have thought they don't sell a lot of English language books in Italy! Hah!

If I wasn't sitting at my gate I would have missed my flight, I was that engrossed in my book. I was finally on American soil and I had turned my cell phone off (after talking with my parents of course) because I didn't want to be interrupted from the book! I had the book finished by the time I landed in Portland. The five weeks of archaeology, the 4-5 hours of sleep a night all that time, the 24-hours of being awake with all the flight cancellations - none of it mattered. I was hooked on that book.

This was a Sunday, when I arrived back in Oregon. Monday I went to work, Monday after work I drove to Salem to pick up the next two books in the series. Tuesday, I drove back to Salem to pick up the fourth book (that was the release day). By Friday I had finished the series. Did I mention I worked all week? I had made plans to visit with friends over the weekend, so the evenings during that week were my time to read the series. I didn't want to be hanging out with friends, but wishing I were reading the Twilight books... :)

I convinced a good friend and coworker to read them, then another coworker, then a friend, then another friend. I needed people to love the books as much as I did. I heard the movie was coming out in a few months, so I looked up the cast online.

I was so disappointed. The jerky jock from "Can't Hardly Wait" was going to play Dr. Cullen? The trailers looked awkward. The whole thing made me unhappy. So, I didn't see it. Months and months went by, still hadn't watched it. Came out on DVD - still refused to watch it. Finally, I broke down. I'd watched most other movies in my Netflix queue so last week I watched it. I think on Wednesday or Thursday. Today is Monday - and I believe I've watched it 6 or 7 times now.

It was a rough week and I think the mood of the movie helped. But darn it, that movie was great! I think if I hadn't read the books and loved those so much, I would have been indifferent about the movie. But the fact that so many pivotal moments and scenes were brought to life and done so well, I can't get enough. I absolutely LOVE Robert Pattinson as Edward. I was not a fan of Kristin Stewart from the trailers as Bella, but she is a great Bella. Esme was cast perfectly. Rosalie was great. Jasper, whoooo boy! Yummy.

I love Robert's little Edward smiles. The way it's clear he's trying to hold himself back as Edward did in the book, but he just can't help himself around Bella. I love her reactions to him, his reactions to her. I was so inspired by it. I wanted to write, but I couldn't pull myself away from the movie!! :)

I've begun rereading Twilight to see how different the movie was from the books. And I must say, I think the movie was implemented very well. The way dialogue was taken from one scene and combined with action from another worked well in the movie.

I can't wait for New Moon to come out!!!! And you bet, I'll be there opening night. Waiting in line for hours.

Is there any movie that you just couldn't get enough of for its romantic elements?

10 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Wow, Lisa, I see this movie and book impacted you! That's great. I haven't read the books or watched the movie. I now I should throw caution to the wind and try something new(I'm not a fan of vampires,werewovles or that kind of bump in the night thing)

Now for a movie I watch over and over and you'll probably think this is silly, but it's Hairspray. Yes, I know it's corny, but the music is fun and every time I watch the movie the fat high school student in me who had a crush on the good looking guy feels vindicated. I love the movie for showing you can be yourself and still win the popular guy's heart.

Fun post!

Lisa Leoni said...

Hairspray is a great movie!! I haven't seen the new one, but I looooove the first one. What is great about Twilight for non-vampire fans like me, is that it almost seems that the vampires and werewolves are just a secondary element to the story. It is so centered on the romance between the hero and heroine that I sometimes forget he's a vampire.

It encapsulates all of those romantic notions I've had throughout life. In school, hoping to meet that one boy who took a look at you and from that point on, saw no one else. Knowing there's that one soul mate who would risk it all for you, and you for him. The person you could love unconditionally, be yourself, not worry about anything, who accepts you as you are. Not to mention how well it encapsulates the drama of high school.

Even though it's a YA and the heroine is only 17 at the beginning of the series, she carries a maturity that makes me forget how young she is.

I can't get enough of Twilight!!! The big drama with it now - and those who don't follow Twilight probably didn't hear - is that the author was writing book five. But, the first four books are first person (primarily) in the heroine's point of view. The fifth book was going to be basically the first book again, but in the hero's point of view. She had a partial draft written and gave it to a few people. It was leaked and all over the internet eventually.

She decided that she was putting the book on hold indefinitely because she was so upset about the leak. She then put the partial draft online to make it available to everyone, but urging people not to read it.

As a writer, I can understand why she's so upset. So I haven't read it yet. But now that I'm rereading Twilight, I am really working hard to fight the urge to read it. I want to know how Edward thought, his internal workings around Bella. I guess this is why I've grown to really love 3rd person.

Alice Sharpe said...

Lisa -- You are exactly the kind of reader I want someday -- sigh.

Thanks for explaining the dust up surrounding Twilight. I'd heard about it. How interesting that she posted it and then asked people not to read it. I can see she wanted to take control if people were leaking, etc... but my, the temptation to even the most respectful of fans. Makes all of JK Rowling's precautions surrounding the Harry Potter books seem suddenly less over the top, hmmm?

I bought the book but haven't read it. My almost 13 year old grand-daughter is absolutely smitten with it and is on book 3 and LOVES them. I'll get aorund to it one of these days although between Anne Rice and Buffy, I may have moved through my vampire period.

As for movies I watch again and again -- mostly they're kind of silly movies and I seldom watch them from the beginning, I just love the last. Knowing the set-ups, I just like to see the pay off. They include Knotting Hill (love that ending but also love many parts of it), Sweet Home Alabama -- again, it's the ending, Everafter -- there's that ending again! and a few others.

I think it's wonderful the way you're enjoying these books and movies! I was a die hard Harry Potter fan but the movies never did anything for me. Now, Lord of the Rings is a whole different thing!

Fun Blog!

Karen Duvall said...

How great, Lisa, that the books and movie had such a powerful effect on you! I loved Twilight, too, and eagerly picked up New Moon, but struggled to get through it. I don't know why, maybe because of the werewolf thing. I think I stopped reading one chapter from the end about six months ago. The book is still sitting on my nightstand.

I watched the movie recently and liked it. I enjoyed the book a lot more, and my youngest daughter is totally hooked on the series.

I heard about the leaked partial and that's so sad. Did you hear about the copyright infringed sequel to the series called "Russet Noon" written by a fan named Lady Sabilla? Here's the website: http://www.russet-noon.com/apology-to-charli-siebert.html This maniac is actually going to self-publish and sell the book in September. Can you believe it?

The one movie I've watched over and over is The Green Mile.

Kendra said...

I devoured these books and so did my 11 YO. I read the start of Midnight Sun online. It would have been great. I hope she is motivated to finish it one day.

We bought the movie for my daughter. I wasn't too wild about the movie. Bella seemed twitchy through the whole thing. But my kids have watched it over and over.

I'm drawing a blank on movies that inspired me to write. I'll think on this one.

Lisa Leoni said...

Alice, I love Sweet Home Alabama!! I think what drew me in to vampire romance originally is how different it is from Anne Rice. I feel so naive now - after reading all of her books I randomly came across a vampire romance (no idea it was romance). And the idea that vampires could be heroes was mind-blowing. That's sort of what it's like in Twilight. He is different from a standard romance hero in that there's not a typical arc of him being a selfish jerk in one way or another, then changing to be selfless.

He's basically selfless from the beginning and he hurts the heroine because he's so selfless. He'll do anything NOT to hurt her, including leave her alone. I started rereading the second book last night. It's so gutwrenching. There's no better way to make someone feel pain than throwing it into a high school setting. :)

Lisa Leoni said...

Karen, that's terrible!!!! And all the people who are going to buy it out of curiosity...oh man!!

I had a hard time with the second book, I'm in the Edward camp. But it's even harder rereading it now. But, to me, by the end of the fourth book it all makes it worth it. The entire series plot - including where Jacob is meant to be - is great. I love it. I definitely think it's worth reading the rest :) But I'm a bit biased...

Lisa Leoni said...

Kendra, I really really really really hope she finishes it too. I haven't started it yet - but just the thought of knowing what Edward is thinking gives me butterflies.

You know how when you're really young, it's so easy to get swept up by daydreams of completely irrational things? Like, I don't know, falling in love with a vampire? I used to be plagued with that when I was little, I'd get too involved in the world in my head. But as an adult I'm better at separating things. But dang, Twilight makes me feel like a 12 year old all over again! But also an adult that has much more to offer a man of Edward's caliber. Hah! :D

Anonymous said...

LOL, Lisa. I just read this post and I have to agree, the Twilight series is freakin' awesome!!

But, I still refuse to see the movies because I can't stand Robert Pattinson's looks and I love the Edward my head too much. Also, as a person, I don't care for Kristin Stewart because I feel she's a snobby brat who thinks she's too good for normal people. (Yeah, I have me some opinions! LOL)

You should totally read Midnight Sun. Stephenie won't care. She put it out there for us to read. It's awesome and will explain A LOT about why Edward acted the way he did when he first came upon Bella. It's so enlightening. I totally recommend you reading it. JUST DO IT!! You should also read The Host by Stephenie Meyer. It's really hard to get into at first because it's deep, but once you're in, OH MAN ARE YOU IN!! I loved it as much as Twilight. Just keep reading and don't give up on it because it pays off at the end.

As far as movies that have impacted me...

#1 Emma
#2 Ever After
#3 Phantom of the Opera
#4 Shakespeare in Love
#5 P.S. I Love You

I could go on and on. ;)

Also, there are SO many romance novels that I'd love to see made into film. *sigh*

Fun post!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Guess I should start watching more movies as Twilight sounds like it had such an impact on you, Lisa!

My kids and I used to go to the movies quite a bit, but now I rarely sit still long enough to watch a movie--kinda like I don't watch TV. When I was at my parents house, they had the TV going almost 24/7 and I was reminded many times why I DON'T watch TV. However, I did get caught up in an interesting show on the History channel, so maybe I could try a movie or two again. :)