
Current Project: His Baby
Status: Page 71
It's official, Eli's 100 day challenge is now ON. Are you ready to commit to a hundred days of ... well, something? Your choice. It can be a thousand words a day, it can be sitting in front of the computer every day, it can involve numbers of pages, it can be whatever you want. I suggest choosing a goal that's a stretch (without stretching, what's the challenge?) but not so far-fetched that you set yourself up for failure. And since we're all so diverse and we all have commitments outside our writing lives, it's not a one size fits all situation.
Wavy has been very clear about naming her goals and either achieving them or redefining them. I think that's an excellent way to proceed. And I think the message on the picture above is particularly appropriate for writers. In case it comes out too small to read, this is what it says -- "Winners Must Have Two Things: Definite Goals and Burning Desire to Achieve Them."
Amen.
My goal is to average 1000 words a days. That means I can take a day or two off now and again if I make up for it on the days preceding or following. I need this caveat for the challenge to be realistic because I've found I don't write too well on days I spend visiting my mother and it's not an option to give up seeing her! I also need this goal as it will take that kind of follow through (actually, a good deal more than that) to make my first deadline on July 20th.
I hope everyone finds someway to make this goal their own. And Eli, if I stated it poorly or missed the nuances you were thinking about, enlighten us!
Have a great weekend, everyone.
14 comments:
WIP: Deceived - Eternal Guardians book 2
Status: Pg 79
That was perfect, Alice! Exactly what I had in mind.
My goal is also 1000 words per day. With the same caveat...if I skip a day I make up the words either before or after. This week I hit my goal of 7550 words, and that's before writing anything this weekend (had a couple of very productive days). Later today and tomorrow I plan to write some more and hopefully finish the synopsis of my wip to send to my editor.
Looking forward to hearing everyone else's goals and progress!
Great goals, ladies!
My biggest goals continue to focus outside my writing, so writing and promotion will be on a "maintenance" schedule: continue working on and complete edits on my novella (which I am doing) and continue with relaxed promotion for my books that have already been released and leading up to my February 2010 release (which I'm also doing).
For those of you on deadline or much more ambitious writing goals, I'll be cheering you on!
Eli, I sold the books on Tuesday and have written 5,000 words, 25 pages, so I guess I'm on track, too. I did the math to see what needed to be done in what time I had, broke into a cold sweat and decided to just work. And breathe.
You did have productive days -- hope the book continues to come easily. My sister was telling me about an author she heard speak who says when he sits down to write his continuing series, the characters just spill from his fingers without any conscious effort on his part, they write the books themselves. She tells me about this guy quite frequently now and I have grown to hate him. I think she wonders why I struggle so -- I think she thinks I'm doing something wrong! (She may be right...)
Have a great week.
Genene, I hope your outside the writing arena projects continue to get done as I know you have a very important goal and that's your dog sanctuary. We all know maintenance is half the battle, both in writing and in home repair!
Hey, you and I are both going to have a Feb 2010 (isn't it tricky to type that date?) releases!
Wahoo.
Hey, Alice! You meet your deadlines, so you must be doing something very right.
I think writing continuing characters is both easier and more difficult. You already know them, so don't have all the back story to create and dole out to readers, yet you also have to keep them fresh so readers don't tire of them. With new characters--at least for me--it takes more time just to get to know them.
Sounds like February 2010 is going to be a wonderful month! Maybe we should plan a celebration!
OMG! We have another Bethany. One who is having troubles getting her butt into her writing chair--I feel like I've met my literary doppleganger.
This week's goal was at least 1 contest entry with a reward if I got three by Sunday. I'm going to hold off on doing my next week's goals until I get some time to myself today to see if I can knock out the other two entries :) Will update later.
I wish I could do the 1000 word challenge, but the weekly rotating goal is working for me right now.
Bethany -- Welcome to the blog! I just assumed you were a different Bethany (aka Wavy) but now that I read your comment, duh!
Let us know where we can find your blog if you'd like or check in here every Saturday (sometimes Sunday, perhaps) and use us as an accountability keeper (picture stern looking woman with gray bun and a kleenex tucked in her bodice, tapping a ruler against her steely thigh and growling at you to sit down and do your work -- now! -- OMG, I just channeled my substitute eight grade grammar teacher, Mrs. Wolfe. Breathing into a paper bag...)
Genene, I've written very few continuing characters and none that really showed up for more than a scene or two. I read a lot of them, though, and what I want from them is glimpses of new, doses of old.
Feb. is Valentine's month -- maybe we can figure something out!
Wavy -- I picture you scrambling to get the contest entries out the door while being tempted by Hurricane Tavi to go out in the sunshine and play.
I am curious -- how do you reward yourself?
As for the 100 day challenge, ppffttt! You do what works for you.
I like the challenge, just can't really commit until my company leaves. I did a little research this week while they were here, but there wasn't a chance to get any writing done. This week isn't looking any better.
So I'm hoping next Saturday I can say, I will do 1000 words a day.
Alice and Eli, congrats on the word count.
Genene, Wavy, and Bethany setting goals for specific projects is just as good motivation.
I'll be thinking of all of you as I'm chasing grandkids.
I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Three Contests gone and done--two weeks before deadline: Golden Opportunity (YA) AND I got my contemporary (the "funeral" one, Alice :)) out the door for the Rebecca and Emerald City Opener. Bless Contests that don't require a synopsis.
This makes me feel so good. My reward is that I am going to go take a bath, paint my toe nails, and go to bed with a book. Okay, next week:
1)WRITE A SYNOPSIS--now that I have actually sent a snippet of the long-languishing MS out instead of killing it altogether, I need to do this. Or just kill the MS.
2) Write 1,000 words on one of the WIP.
If I do both by Monday p.m. (holiday weekend), I'm treating myself to a haircut.
Wavy! Good for you, kudos, pats on the back, happy shuffling of the feet!
Enjoy the bath and all the rest and I am laying my money on your hair being shaped and sassy by a week from tomorrow!
Good going.
Wavy, I should have mentioned that I've written about 18 pages this weekend and you are right, it feels good.
Alice,
Half my toenails are hot pink and half are bright red :) It was a great reward. Off to bed. You need to reward yourself for your 18 pages. Must feed that nice writing mojo for returning to you. :P
Post a Comment