Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Break Time


Current Project: STRONGER THAN BONE
Status:Big Time Revisions

The kids were home for five days. Two Thanksgivings. The tree is up. The outside lights are up. Shopping is nearly done. Time for a break.










Check for more at http://icanhascheezburger.com/

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Break time? What's that?

We just sold our donut shop on Saturday. Oh yeah, cooley-hot!! **Doing the donut shop selling dance I made up.**

Yesterday, we picked up the keys to our new house, all deposits are paid, contracts signed, yadda, yadda, yadda, now the real work begins.

We're moving this week!!! (Probably stretching that into next week, too.)

Then we'll go up to the snowy wood with our extended families, hunt down proper Christmas trees, do the whole snow day thing with sleds and hot chocolate etc., and then come back to our NEW house and decorate the slain tree for the holiday.

I also have to get my mom moved out of our travel trailer here at our old "garage", (cause that's what I've lived in for 7 years, yeah, a GARAGE!) and then get mummy moved who knows where because she can't make up her mind if she wants to live in Portland or Medford areas. UGH!

At least I'm not making any of my kids switch schools. I was, but now I'm just going to drive them each day. 25 min each way, everyday. Joy. Good thing petrol has gone down in price!

So, I'm thrilled for all that's happening and know that my "break time" will happen after all this fun stuff is over.

Happy "break time" Kendra, and anyone else who's WAY more organized and totally less spaztic than me!

Paty Jager said...

My shopping is done, presents are wrapped, half the house is decorated.
We're going to chop down a tree this weekend and I can get that up and I can sit back and write until company arrives on the 26th. Yep! We're having Christmas on the 27th this year because our son and his family can't get here until the 26th and our oldest daughter has inlaw obligations.

My dh and I put the plywood on the floor in the room we've been remodeling. The people will come to lay the carpet next week and then I can start decorating the room!

So, Kendra- what is break time?? LOL I'm glad you have things done and are ready for the holiday!

Today I'm off to help a fourth grade class write a picture book. Then the rest of the week is mine to write. Yeah! I'm on the down hill side of the WIP and rolling!

Congrats on the sale of the donut store, Becky! And Woo Hoo! You're movin' on up to a real house!!!

Alice Sharpe said...

I have not bought a single present. I do not have a tree. There are zero decorations out of the storage area let alone set up. Enthusiasm for the holiday is at an all time low. Obligations and commitments mounting. No end in sight. So I will chime in with the rest. What's a break?

Congrats to those more organized and more dedicated and Piper, yowzaa, your plate is full, girlie, but it sounds like some fun times are ahead.

Cute photos!

Anonymous said...

ROFLOL... Poor Alice sounds like she's writing from a foreign prison or something.

Sometimes the holidays are more trouble than fun. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Paty! Yeah, I'm a moovin on up, to the North Side! Yippeee!!!

Todd just left with the first load 2 minutes ago! Okay, back to packing.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Cyber-hugs to you, Alice, in dealing with your mom's health issues and all else that's on your plate.

The holidays seem to be a lousy time to have "reality." Perhaps all emotions are amplified during this time of year. The joy and celebration--because that's how we're "supposed to" feel as Christmas approaches, but also isolation and frustration and fading hope because we aren't living the perfect holiday that everyone else seems to be having.

And perhaps that's OK too. Because intense emotions can force us to look at the pieces of our lives, determine what we do want and prepare for a rebirth or new beginnings at the first of the year. Hey, that sounds like the hero's journey we take with the characters in our stories.

OK, enough philosophy!

Break time was the subject, wasn't it? Like others, I rarely take breaks. However, I'm at a point in my life that I pretty much do what I love to do. So I would take a break from what? Doing what I love? Naw! I just keep looking for a balance among those things so I'm not up until 3:00 a.m. every night "loving" my life. LOL!

Piper, CONGRATULATIONS on all the wonderful things going on in your life. I'm obviously really behind the times. I didn't know about the donut shop, so dance, dance, dance! I knew you were moving, though, and your plans to prepare for the holidays sound fantastic!

Paty, so glad you'll have your kids together for Christmas, even if it's not on the "officially" celebrated day. Christmas doesn't always happen on Dec. 25th for my family either. That doesn't seem to slow down the grandkids at all--though it had better be earlier than the 25th rather than later. :)

I spent several years of dragging my feet with Christmas preparations, but have gradually been getting back into that cheerful spirit. This year, the Christmas spirit came early, helped along by the release of my second book, which has its happily-ever-after ending at Christmas.

Since I've been planning promotion for that book for awhile, that has also focused me thinking about Christmas for my family. So pretty much all of my shopping is done and I "wrap" by using those marvelous bags and scrunching tissue paper on top. Like sliced bread, my hat is off to whoever made those popular!

I don't do a lot of elaborate decorating. Again, just easy stuff like making the top of the buffet or a table top look festive. I'd rather focus my energies into nagging my son to finish the gaping holes still in the south wall of my house! We're actually past the digging out stage and into the rebuilding stage, which he promises will go much faster. So that's definitely cause for celebration!

And now, back to book promotion! If any of you would like to stop by my Twelve Days of Christmas blog at **http://feathersonthefloor.blogspot.com/**, my guest author today is Terri Reed. In addition to being a member of our sister RWA chapter in Portland, Terri has presented great info at some of our chapter meetings and workshops here in Salem. I hope you'll stop by and say hello!

Hope you're all getting some of the sunshine in your day like that shining at my house right now!

Karen Duvall said...

I'm with Alice on the whole xmas decorating thing and lack thereof. I skipped it last year and loved it so much that I'm doing the same this year, too! Xmas is for kids and if my grandkids were around, I'd definitely be kicking it old school with halls decked and tree trimmed. But I won't get to see any of my darling cherubs this year, so meh. Xmas holds no interest for me.

Changes! Yes! And no breaks. I'm happy to announce my impending dog-mom hood to a bouncing border collie mix girl pup! I'll get her on Thursday and I can hardly wait! Now my husband and I just have to pick out a name. She's black and white like a Jersey cow and I'm leaning toward Moo, though Jersey is kind of cute, too.

Karen Duvall said...

Oops. Not Jersey, I meant Holstein cow.

Alice Sharpe said...

I was just going to comment that I liked Jersey. Oops. Moo is cute, too. Let's see. How about Oreo? Holstein seems a lot to wrap your tongue around when she's busy peeing on the carpet...

How did you come to find her?

Anonymous said...

Congrats Karen on your new baby!

Jersey's a really cute name, just like the cow. Jerseys are my favorite cows, but yeah, they're not black and white. LOL They have the best coloring and the most adorable faces.

The best way to pick out a name is to say it out loud as a holler, a command, a scold, an endearment, stuff like that. Try it on and see if you sound stupid saying it all those ways, then you'll know what to do.

Can you imagine walking through an area filled with people and saying, "Moo, come here Mooooo. Good girl, good Moooo. Yes you are! Who's a good Moooo? You are! That's my Mooooo!" LOL

And pretty soon you'd end up calling her Mooshooguypan, and other chinese food words. LOLOL Okay, I'm going to stop cracking myself up because I know it's only me that's cracking. :)

Karen Duvall said...

We haven't decided on a name yet and my husband doesn't like Moo, LOL! Now we're leaning toward Kensie or Kelsie because they're Scottish names and Border Collies come from Scotland. Though she's not 100% Border Collie. Her mom's a pit bull.

Alice, I found her through Craig's List. I was originally going to adopt a puppy from Save the Pets in Eugene, but by the time I jump through all their adoption screening hoops the dog will be full grown. They are slooooooow. I found this puppy on Craig's list yesterday and the deal's already done. Thursday's the day!