Wednesday, December 17, 2008

CURIOUS AS A CAT

Current Project: Faith's Book
Status: pg. 80


Wikipedia: A simile is a figure of speech comparing two unlike things, often introduced with the word "like" or "as". Even though similes and metaphors are both forms of comparison, similes allow the two ideas to remain distinct in spite of their similarities, whereas metaphors seek to equate two ideas despite their differences.

A couple of nights ago, I watched a George C. Scott remake of A CHRISTMAS CAROL. During one scene, Scrooge visits the home of his nephew where he witnesses his nephew and his wife and their guests playing a game called "Simile". In this game, the host throws out an unfinished simile, challenging his guests to complete it. If they cannot, they must stand behind their chair. In the end, the last woman/man sitting is the winner.

So you get the gist. He says, "Pretty as a _______" and the guest must respond, "Picture." "As curious as a ___________" and the guest should say "Cat."

One of the similes was something along the lines of "Quick as a _______" to which a guest (that puckish imp) replied "Night wind." It worked for me, but the nephew was aghast and everyone started counting down from five until they all chimed in, "As a wink!" The poor thing had to go stand behind her chair.

What struck me was how difficult this game would be for a writer. We try our best to make colorful, unique similes and avoid the obvious. All of us would have been standing behind our chairs.

So, here are some unfinished similes.

Choose one, fill in the "right" word and then rework it to fit your WIP or your last book or whatever you want. You can provide a little background to deepen the impact if you like (sometimes the h/h occupation or preoccupation makes a simile all the more intriguing) but you don't have to.

Here they are:

1. As easy as ____________.
2. As mad as a ________________.
3. As stubborn as a _______________.
4. As blind as a ______________________.
5. As smart as a __________________.
6. As quiet as a ______________.
7. As clear as ___________.
8. Or make up your own using as or like, whichever you prefer.

This needn't be time consuming or difficult or terribly clever, just have fun. There's always the pressure with something like this to come up with something perfect. THIS IS NOT A TEST. NO GRADES WILL BE ASSIGNED.

12 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

It doesn't appear I will ever get the hang of including my photo. Sigh.

It's only fair I go first. I'm going to use a cat as it seems appropriate:

The fat tabby snuck across the yard toward the bird bath as quiet as a stealth bomber.

If that doesn't quite your inner critic, I don't know what will! I suck at this! (Maybe it's the time of day and I'm tired. Yeah, that's it.)

Karen Duvall said...

My female MC is from the south and uses a lot of colorful southernisms. A common one is "dumb as a bag of hammers" for a man, and "dumb as a bag of hair" for a woman.

I also like "If dumb was dirt, he'd cover about half an acre." And "He's so dumb he could throw himself on the ground and miss." But those aren't really similes. They're just fun. And no, I didn't make them up. I wish I was that witty. 8^)

How about "He was as sharp as a mashed potato." And "He's so ugly his cooties have to close their eyes." I have a long list of these and could go on and on.

Fun game, Alice!

Paty Jager said...

3. As stubborn as a mule.
My hero would say- "You're as stubborn as a jackass with his feet in a hole." (U.S. Marshal)

but the heroine- "You're as stubborn as a knot in a hank of windblown hair. But I'll work you loose just like I do the knot." (Pinkerton Agent- city girl)


Fun post, Alice!

Alice Sharpe said...

Karen, I knew you would be good at this. I always struggle with it. One of my dearest friends is a poet who has also published two novels and the metaphors and similes she comes up with are always so vivid -- I'm jealous. A little can go a long way, though.

I love yours. Dumb as a bag of hair -- LOL, could you be any dumber than that? Is it possible?

Thanks, Karen. Maybe my FBI hero turned reluctant rancher would say, "The guy stood out like a terrorist at a beach party." No? Oh, well....

Karen Duvall said...

Thanks, Alice. Another one of my favorites, which I haven't used in a manuscript yet, is "She felt as out of place as a vegetarian at a Texas barbeque."

Paty, I love yours, too!

Paty Jager said...

Alice, your character would say, "He stood out like a bull in a pasture of heifers".

chanceofbooks said...

I love how Paty and Karen really capture the voices of their characters.

I'm the queen of cliches, so I have to work to change mine to more unique similes. I think Paty has a real gift. :)

#1 & #7. From my WIP. Heroine is in her first day in a science lab: "The instructions were as clear as the murky vial taunting me. The experiment was as easy as tying shoes for the rest of the group--clear test tubes all around."

Paty Jager said...

Wavy, I'm blushing... Thanks for the compliment.

Your sentences are good too!

Karen- the vegetarian at a Texas barbecue made me laugh!

Alice Sharpe said...

Wow, Paty, you have a flair! Good ones!

Alice Sharpe said...

Wavy, I have to work, too. Yours are good. They capture the lab.

Anonymous said...

Is this one?...

'You're about as fun as a walking, talking poke in the eye."

You girls are so good at this stuff. I suck at ditties and similes. :)

One saying (not a simile) I like to use when I don't want to do something is this...

"Oh sorry, I can't, I have a bone in my leg."

That one really catches people off guard. LOL

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

I think you're all good at this!

Piper, I remember the "bone in your leg" excuse. In the time it takes someone to say "huh?" you can be outta there!

Sheesh, my characters must be boring. Neither the hero or heroine will come up with a simile for me. Much too serious for a romantic comedy! Maybe they will come up with something while I write the blog for tomorrow. :)