Saturday, December 13, 2008

SATURDAY CHECK-IN


Current Project: Faith's Book
Status: Chapter Four, page 70

Well, I just hope the rest of you are doing better than I am. After another week of trials and a tribulation that included getting together with writing friends (i.e. the Xmas party), I am advancing at a snail's pace. My hope is to finish Chapter Four this weekend and then next week read from the beginning and try to recapture the energy of the first three chapters, redo four and get cracking on the rest. I'm finding it hard to concentrate and focus with all the outside pressures, but that's no excuse!!!! These pressures will likely continue in the near future and I need to learn to cope! Pep talk given.

How about you guys? Is everyone taking a seasonal hiatus or is everyone hard at work?

23 comments:

Kendra said...

After two weeks of kicking myself for not making time to write, I decided to take a seasonal hiatus. Thanks for the term, Alice, it sounds very official. I thought I could get some time to myself before the kids went on break, but it hasn't worked that way.

I'm also trying to rest my hands because I strained them last weekend and I've had daily pain and stiffness since then. Not a good thing for a hygienist. After this coming week, I have two weeks off from my paying job. Hopefully that will be enough time for my hands to recover.

Pray for snow. We've had some sprinkles this AM. I want more!!

Alice Sharpe said...

Kendra, I love the snow, too. The weather people kept talking about it and I kept thinking, "Stop! You'll hex it!" Sure enough, nothing so far, but the cold air outside is hopeful!

Sorry about your hands. If you don't mind my asking, how did you strain them?

chanceofbooks said...

Finally done with grading!!!

No seasonal hiatus here---I have finally have some time to work on things. I'm hoping to get my ducks in a row for some contest entries in the New Year.

Hang in there Alice--you are in my thoughts each day!

Alice Sharpe said...

Wavy -- Wahoo on finishing the grading. I can imagine what a load off your mind that is!

Thank you for your thoughts. I appreciate them more than you know.

I wrote about 1500 words today -- more than I have in awhile and by the end, it started to feel more normal, so maybe there's hope...

Good luck with the ducks.

Karen Duvall said...

I'm slinking along, too, Alice, and have only a puppy for an excuse. But she's has more of a schedule now, so that's helping. I got in about 1000 words yesterday, compared to about 250 the previous week.

I'm trudging through the muddy middle of the WIP and finding it hard to concentrate. I've done no xmas shopping. I just bought a new computer for my business. Lot's of stuff going on, but worries are minimal. I really feel for you, Alice, with the family stuff. When I'm hit with family issues it's like freezing me in place. I can't move.

We got snow last night! And the drivers on the roads today were total dipshits. People like that should do us all a favor and just stay home when there's snow on the ground.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, all!

I'm in reorganizing mode after my Twelve Days of Christmas contest. Need to get all the prizes sent off, sort and wrap (or bag!) family gifts for delivery next week, and get my office moved so my son and I can get cracking again on finishing house projects. So no writing this past week.

Like Kendra, I love the term "seasonal hiatus!" I need to see how my other projects shake out, but my novella is high on the list of projects to be finished before the first of the year, so I need to get back to rekeying and editing soon--but perhaps not until the week between Christmas and New Year's. That's not far away!

Kendra, hope your hands recover quickly.

Wavy, so glad your grading is done for now!

Alice, extra {{{HUGS}}} to you.

And, Karen, good to hear you're puppy is settling in. Cuddles to your cute little fur baby!

Paty Jager said...

Looks like everyone is having difficulties staying on task. This past week I worked on TWRP stuff to get it out of my hair and finished up Christmas stuff.

Today the dh and I worked all day on the new bedroom and it will be finished tomorrow. Which means other than the Central Oregon Writers Guild Christmas party on Thursday, I will have from now until the company comes for Christmas to work on my writing. My goal is to write "the end" on December 25th. So you are all to keep after me to get it done!

We had a skiff of snow here, making it feel more like Christmas is coming, but made my dh grumpy because the cows think they need hay now.

Kendra, hope your hands get better, sometimes my bursitis makes my right hand not work well either.

Alice, glad you got some writing done. And thoughts are with you and your mom.

Wavy, congrats on the papers and woot to working on contest entries.

Karen, don't you just hate people who don't know how to drive in snow. ;)

Genene, good luck with the house remodel. I'm glad our room is done! Just have to do some staining on the trim and move furniture in. Yeah!

Alice Sharpe said...

Karen -- what kind of computer did you get? What makes it special for your business?

Congrats on the snow!!!!!!!!!!

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene -- really, I need to get over needing hugs, don't I? Why are some things so hard? Meanwhile, empathy is appreciated as I know it comes from experience. Anyway, I can't wait to hear how you whittle a novel into a short story! Do tell...

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Oh, Alice, don't ever get over needing hugs, because that would mean you've disconnected your emotions. Being able to feel your emotions so deeply is what helps make you the caring, loving person and writer and daughter and wife and everything else that you are. And you give hugs to others who need them, so it's your turn. Take all those hugs without guilt and without beating yourself up.

OK, here's an extra BIG {{{HHHHUUUUUUUUUGGGGGG}}} and a **G*i*g*G*l*e** to tuck away for when you especially need it. (Maybe Debbie can show us how to do an online giggle too??) 'Cause who knows when I'll come knocking on your cyber-door and need that empathy returned. :)

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty -- How exciting!!!! A new room. And the fact you are excited about decorating it is wonderful!

Now that I have a rancher as a character, I'm trying to figure out your dh's grumpiness interesting. The cows know they need hay when it snows???? Don't shake your head, it's rude!

Now get back to work!!!!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

P.S. I'll let you know how to whittle that novel down--perhaps with a chain saw??--when I figure it out. LOL!

Karen Duvall said...

Paty, have fun at the COWG party! Please tell Cindy and Lindy I said hi.

Karen Duvall said...

Alice, I got a Mac G5 with 23" flat screen monitor. It cost a small fortune so it better be worth it, but I have a new client in Boston so I need a faster, more efficient machine to handle the extra work.

Hey, I'm getting lots of writing done today, too! Must be the football game playing in the background. And the snow outside. Really, really pretty.

It's a perfect writing day. The puppy's asleep at my feet, husband's asleep on the couch with a napping cat on his lap, and the Jets/Buffalos game is playing on TV to supply lots of lovely white noise. Ahhhh... Heaven.

Alice Sharpe said...

Karen -- I guess Portland is a mess with snow but there's nothing here, not one lousy flake. I WANT SNOW!

My iMac has a big flat screen but I don't think it's as big as yours (although it sure seems huge to me) and I know it's not as powerful as yours. I hope it helps you make lots of Boston money!

Happy writing.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Alice, did you get snow yet??

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene, NO SNOW!!!!! Everyone else has it. You do, right? I am feeling VERY left out!!!!!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Sheesh, Alice, I can't believe the snow gods have skipped you! It snowed heavy this afternoon and piled up about three inches in a little over an hour. And I'm near the Willamette River where we hardly ever get any snow.

It must just be slow getting to you. Have you tried a snow dance?

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene, I have danced the snow dance. I have offered snow god sacrifices (don't ask.) I have stared out the window and wished and I have stood outside with my mouth open, face pointed upward, waiting for a snowflake to land on my tongue.

Now, finally, a few flakes are beginning to fall!!!!!!

Maybe I'll wake up to a white wonderland!

Enjoy your snow!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Alice, that cold air is moving south slowly. It started snowing in portland around 7:30 am this morning. We didn't get snow here in Keizer until about 3pm. Now we have about 5 inches and it's stopped. It's finally hitting you!

My kids have no school tomorrow. ACK!!! (And that wasn't said in a happy tone!)

Karen Duvall said...

Alice, you can have some of our snow. Really. Please take some.

Last I checked, it was 5 degrees outside. And I need to take the puppy out to pee in the middle of the night.

Alice Sharpe said...

Yeah, Eli, it's coming down steady now. Tiny flakes, very dry, the temp. dropped. Now as I watch it, it's stopped. Argh. I give up.

Have fun tomorrow!

Alice Sharpe said...

Oh, Karen, 5 degrees? OMG. Uh, well, uh, maybe not (Be sure the puppy doesn't freeze to death while peeing. Make sure you don't, either!)

BTW, all those who entered the first line contest and mentioned your number -- I read your sentences and they are all great! Kendra, which is yours???
When do you find out who is cut? Such fun!