Monday, October 27, 2008

Premise, Plotting, Writing


I wasn't going to ask a question this week because, Alice has dubbed me the question asker (LOL)- but after reading hers and Eli's comments on the Saturday check-in it made me wonder- What do you find the most difficult stage of a new project? Is it coming up with the premise or idea for a book, the plotting of the book, or the writing?

With everyone at different stages in their projects and listening to the concerns or problems they face- it made me wonder, just like everything else in writing, does each writer also find different stages of the writing more difficult than others and is it because of the genre they write, or just their own preference of getting the story on paper?

Myself, I love the research involved in writing the historical westerns. I don't have a problem coming up with a story premise/idea- but I tend to get frustrated with the plotting at times, but find the writing, once I get started flows fast and the story comes. With the contemporaries- the story idea comes and the plotting seems to fall into place, but the writing is harder. Not sure why, but I feel like a newbie writer every time I attempt contemporary.

So what is your genre and which of these do you feel you struggle more with Premise, Plot, or the writing? And why?

9 comments:

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty, I suspect you will have many answers to this as there are writers checking out your blog and that even then, the answers will change from book to book.

Premise, plot, or writing.

Well, you know I write RS although that genre is as rife with differences as is everything else. The plot came together pretty easily for this one with salient points obvious to me and the rest shrouded in enough mystery to keep the project fun and interesting. The last book, where I was given the premise, was something of a struggle. This one was my baby and it has not turned out to be exactly the book I thought it would be before going in, but I can't say as how I struggled with it, it just surprised me.

That leaves writing and I guess that's appropriate as I am also convincing myself that the clock is ticking, I've had over a month off, it's time to get back to work. Part of me is kicking and screaming and holding on to the swing in the park. "I don't want vacation to be over, I don't want to work, No!" I'm hoping that horrible brat goes away soon and leaves the reasonable adult in me to get on with it.

So, many floundering starts. Too much info (new writers, beware, this trying to fit every backstory element in the world into the first three pages must be fought off with a pointy stick.) Eli and I were talking about this last night -- how much backstory goes in to a book before a word is written. It's truly amazing. So, I am getting my words lined up, getting my motives tidy, trying to keep the characters from becoming morose (Do you ever wonder if they hear our voices inside their heads when they go to sleep at night? Hm???)

I'll be anxious to hear what everyone else has to say and I think it's very interesting the way you feel unsure of yourself when you write contemporary but comfortable with historicals. I wonder if all writers who switch between contemporary and historical share those feelings.

Karen Duvall said...

This is a tough question, Paty! Hmmm... Well, premise isn't difficult for me since it comes first when the idea for the book comes, and it usually just shows up. It sort of knocks on my brain-door and says, "Hi! May I come in?"

The plot and writing are neck and neck for being difficult. I have a love-hate relationship with both. But difficult also equals challenging, which also equals fun. So they're equally hard and equally fun.

I have to say the plotting, which I enjoy the most, is usually the one responsible for holding me up. Like the story goal will come to me quickly, but the "why" behind that goal is often slow to catch up. And that traces back to the characters. If X's goal is to prevent/accomplish Y, then how come Z is getting in the way? Motivation can be tricky when plotting.

Fun blog, Paty. Thanks for making me think. 8^)

Paty Jager said...

Hi Alice, I figured I'll get many answers, but I always love hearing how writers put their stories together and what they consider the hardest part or most challenging. And, I too, believe there are different struggles with each book.
Sounds like your next project is coming together. Awesome!

Karen, Glad to give your brain a puzzle. LOL You know I almost added GMC- Because that all goes hand in hand with the rest. good luck on your latest project.


I went to bed last night playing the rest of the WIP over in my head. When I woke up during the night, the characters and plot were there. I think this book is ready to get on paper and out of my head as much as I'm ready for it to be on paper!

Kendra said...

I'm trying to picture Alice holding onto the swing, kicking and screaming.

It's all hard for me. For ST RS the premise has to be fresh and sharp and big enough to enthrall a reader for 100K. I pound my brain trying to come up with something within these parameters. Ideas never come easy for me. I've never had a book or character pop into my brain. I have to wring them out of my grey matter.

Then I struggle to map out a plot of original twists and turns and red herrings. I can easily spend a month or two doing this part. Then I have to excercise the discipline to write the story. Get the original words on paper at about 10K a week.

Every stage is tough for me. And we didn't even touch on edits.

Why am I still doing this?

Paty Jager said...

Kendra, you're still writing because all of us have a need to tell our story in our words. Or in our character's words.

Hang in there- I've found we each have our own mental roadblocks when it comes to writing a story. Some just have more road blocks than others and generally it makes them a better writer.

Deborah Wright said...

Paty, you can ask all the questions you want to -- I love reading everyone's answers.

I'm at the stage of my development where I find the writing the most difficult part. And frankly, I'm not sure that that will ever change. And that's because I know that I will always have room for improvement (a lot of room, just at the moment). Don't get me wrong -- I love it. But I also hate it and get frustrated at it and...well, you get the picture.

I never seem to run out of ideas, though I don't guarantee they're all worth pursuing. And I love researching just about anything. I can immerse myself in the most obscure searches -- I really have to watch myself and not get carried away.

But the writing, ah, that's like the crusty part of a warm sourdough loaf -- sometimes it can be too tough, but when it comes out just right it makes the rest of the bread (i.e. experience) that much better. :-)

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Paty! I too also found it interesting that your reactions to writing historical vs. comtemporary is different. Kudos to you for doing it anyway!

I also laughed at "little girl" Alice hanging onto the swing. What a fun picture that brings to mind!

The most difficult part for me--or maybe the most frustrating--is probably two-thirds through the book. I think this is because this point in a book is where I start tying up loose ends. This is the test to see if those goals, motivations and the conflict are sound. Have the characters learned their lessons? Is the plot logical, yet containing enough twists and turns to be interesting? Have I done all the work early on to be sure everything works?

It's usually at this point that I go back and replot the book. Not from scratch, but there have usually been enough changes that I want to be sure I haven't abandoned a subplot or left the baby in the car (yes, Alice, I'll always remember that warning) or neglected a character's growth.

Once I've done that replotting, I usually zoom to the end.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I typed out a long answer this morning, the computer ate it and I threw up my hands and walked away (it's been one of those days). However, it said nearly the same thing Genene's answer said - the 2/3 point is the hardest for me. Always.

Paty Jager said...

Love your analogy, Deborah! Hang in there it may not get easier, but you learn to know the process and get less frustrated.

Genene and Eli, I'd love to be stuck at 2/3 right now! LOL I'm at one third and wondering how the heck I'm going to make this story stretch! Great insight.