Ready or not, 2008 is quickly wrapping up. What have you accomplished this year in your writing career? This isn't meant to be an exercise in beating yourself up--think of it as a warm-up to claiming those raindrops and chapter awards in December!
When I first made my list, it seemed pretty short. However, when I considered all the pieces in each item, it wasn't so bad after all. I also noticed that each item on my list included learning from and working with other authors. That's also very cool.
Anyway, here's my list (without too much detail):
-- The first part of 2008 was dedicated to promotion for my first published book. This was a new adventure for me with contests, booksignings, reviews, blogging, and more. As I have all year, I'm still gathering ideas from other authors and sorting through what worked and where I could have used my resources more wisely, as I promote two more upcoming releases.
-- I plotted a series of nine books and I'm eager to dig back into the actual writing of these books. Other projects (such as the large holes in the back wall of my house) have delayed this. To jump-start this writing project, I've decided to do a modified NaNoWriMo. I'm not sure that I'll officially sign up on the Web site and participate in the forums, I just want to write as many words as I can. And I'll be watching you other Wrimos for tips on how to be productive. :)
-- I'll be part of a Valentine's Day 2010 anthology with a new e-book publisher (Chris Young's) and some wonderful opportunities for promotion, including a "write-on" part that was auctioned off as part of a fundraiser for the humane society here in Salem. This promises to be lots of fun!
So what have you accomplished in 2008 and what do you hope to finish yet this year? Remember, there are two more months left in this year--still time to squeeze in a bit more writing time!
13 comments:
Our page looks different!
Wow, Genene, it's been a great year for you, hasn't it, with so many fun things still to come! Inspired by you, I went back through my diary to see what I did this year and this is what I came up with:
In January, I wrote Bodyguard Father and edited The Lawman's Secret Son. March saw the release of Avenging Angel, April saw the beginning of plotting three different connected books and that continued through May. Those books were subsequently passed over, but within a week, I'd sold two books on the basis of an idea for book one. I finished the fist one, Multiples Mystery, in October and am currently working on the first of the second book. This proposal is due Nov. 30th, the book itself next March but it will be ready to go way before that. My hope is that during December I can revisit the three ideas that didn't sell and ascertain if they have merit outside this market and act accordingly. I also saw the dh through a stomach operation and for that, and not the books, I deserve an award, thank you very much.
Thanks for getting me to look back at the year. I can see it's been productive even though at times I felt I would never have another idea. All in all, I plotted six books, wrote two and a half plus 80 pages of a proposal, published three. I hadn't realized it all happened that way until I reviewed it.
What I've accomplished this year. When I first think about it, it feels like not much.But I attended EPICon and RWA National. Made some new writer friends. Strengthened some acquaintances making them friends. Had a book come out in ebook and print soon. Have another one in production and should get a release date soon. I finished a contemporary western which will soon be sent to Harlequin. I plan to finish a new western the end of November to send to agents and editors. I've had several book signings and been on a radio blog talk and have another one scheduled in November along with a local TV appearance.
So though I've been so busy at times I wonder when I'll have time to write- I've been staying fairly productive, but not as productive as I'd like.
I don't think anyone can outdo Alice!!
Fun blog, Genene. Let's see...
My year started with the news my agent wanted me to rework a book I'd sent her. We discussed it in December, I was stumped as to what to do so I put it away for a month (out of sight, out of mind...though not quite). In January I reworked that book (which is affectionately termed 'the reunion story from hell') and sent it to her. Lo and behold, she loved the changes. I let out a huge sigh of relief.
We were just about to start shopping that book when, in February, we got word the other book sold. Since the reunion story from hell was a connected book to the one that sold, I waited with baited breath to see if my new editor would pick it up as the second book in my contract. She did. I was able to breathe easier. For a day or so.
While waiting to hear specifics on my sale - deadlines, release dates, etc., I decided to get busy finishing the paranormal I'd started before I sold. I finished it in April, then sent it off to my agent. That book requred three revisions (ACK!). Not on story but on world building. This was my first stab at a paranormal, so getting it "just right" was important. I'm really glad my agent has such a good eye for these little details. It took a while of back and forth (all summer, really), but that book is now making the rounds in NY.
In May I started the third book in my contract - a book I'd started over a year before and trashed because I couldn't get it to work. Originally (in my mind, at least), it was supposed to be the second in my 3 book trilogy. But when I tried to write it the first time, the characters, plot and time span just wouldn't work. I set it aside to write the reunion story from hell - which was originally supposed to be book 3. Surprisingly, this switch in book order made all the difference. I finished book 3 last week and sent it to my editor. And though I wanted to kill my hero several times (as you all know), this book was the perfect ending to my trilogy.
In addition to that, I've also been knee-deep in promo for my debut release Dec. 30. That's been a learning process for me. Like Paty, I went to RWA, networked my tushie off, met my editor, schmoozed with my agent, and hooked up with some authors who have given me AWESOME quotes for my books.
But, of course, the year is not anywhere near being over. In the next two months I plan to plot a new trilogy and put together a proposal for my option book (due Jan 1), kick up the promo for my debut - esp. in December, and (if the publishing gods are good to me) hopefully start thinking about the 2nd book in my paranormal series. I'm very hopeful this thing is going to sell.
Oh yeah, and I did all this while being president of our chapter!
Wow...it's been quite a year!
Alice, you do deserve an award for taking care of DH. Hopefully I'll get one too. The DH is hving back surgery Nov. 4. He'll be off work for at least a month.
I disagree with Eli. I DO NOT WIN. That honor goes to her, next to whom I am a terrible slacker. My hat is also off to Paty and Genene for their consistent efforts at figuring out promotion, a quagmire I avoid at all costs (I haven't signed a single book this whole year -- well, to family and friends, but three releases and not one book signing. Slacker!)
And Eli, ack! A month. You do get an award, and just this once, you also get hazard pay for being on the front line. Negotiate with the dh BEFORE the operation!
Wow, I'm really impressed with everything you all have accomplished this year! Very inspiring.
I was starting to feel a bit depressed, since I didn't feel like I have any real writing accomplishments to report. Then I started thinking about it and decided that's wrong. I may have missed (by a wide margin) my original writing goals for the year, but I did do some things that I'd planned for the year. When we moved from San Jose to Salem last year, I told myself that I was ready to get serious about writing with the goal of being published. The first thing I did, and the thing that's turned out to be most important to me, was to join RWA. That's because through RWA I found the MWV chapter and all of you guys. What I've learned from you regarding the business of writing, as well as the craft aspect, has been invaluable. Not to mention how much I enjoy our meetings and talking to you all!
Learning about RWA and the supportive networking that exists. Going to the National convention and experiencing the enthusiasm. Attending the chapter meetings and getting my monthly dose of "you can do it!" These may not be strictly writing accomplishments, but they are things that have propelled me further down the road to meeting my ultimate goal. And for that I just have to say -- Thanks!
Great blog post, Genene! It really forced me to think back over the past 10 months.
I don't feel like I've accomplished a whole helluva lot, but for me it's more than I ever have in the past. The big thing for me was polishing up Knight's Curse, querying like crazy, and landing a fabulous NY agent. Now the manuscript is out on submission to publishers and we've had 2 rejections so far, though my agent tells me there's "good buzz" going around about the book. I have no idea what that means. Where's my contract? LOL!
In the mean time, I finaled in PASIC's Book of Your Heart contest and just yesterday learned I won 3rd place. Not as good as 1st, but not as bad as Honorable Mention. So I can't say I'm displeased. Hee hee!
I also had a short story published with Echelon Press.
I've made a significant dent in my WIP that I started in September, and it feels great to know my agent loves it already and St. Martin's wants a crack at it when it's done. So I definitely feel like this has been my year for accomplishing goals.
Everyone else is doing fabulous! Eli, I'm amazed at your accomplishments, as well as Alice's and Paty's. And Genene, you've come a long way yourself, baby! 8^) Deborah, you joined RWA and this group, so there's no doubt you're on your way, too. Good luck!
Sorry, everyone! My trip out of town took much looooonger than I thought it would.
WOW, Alice, and DOUBLE WOW!! I knew you had been busy, but seeing all your accomplishments in one place is amazing! You are going to need a second chapter book bag to hold all your awards this year--and you have earned them! (Don't know that we have an award for surviving a spouse's surgery, but maybe we should consider a family crisis category??)
WOW again!!! (And I haven't even had any caffeine to excuse all those exclamation marks! :)
Paty, I won't put away my exclamation marks yet. You did awesome! And I know you've really ventured outside your comfort zone with some of your promotion.
And more great things to come. Woo-hoo!
Fantastic year for you too, Eli! Sounds like trashing and reworking stories is part of your writing process. LOL! And it obviously pays off!
With all your promo, perhaps the biggest celebration is yet to come with the release of your debut book. What an incredible way to wrap up the year! Yow-za!
Eli, hope your dh's surgery goes well. A month off at the time when your promo is getting more and more intense for your December release. Whew!
I'm waiting to see who you and Alice decide gets the biggest award. :)
Hey, Deborah, many people only talk about writing. YOU are taking steps to make it happen! And going to National the first year after joining RWA is amazing! I was too intimidated to do that for years.
And don't underestimate what you give to the group. Your enthusiasm is contagious! It's a wonderful reminder to hold onto the joy we all felt (I hope!) when we first started writing.
I'm so glad you joined our group!
Karen, it's been a year for major accomplishments for you also--and with two months yet to go! There's still time for your agent to turn that "good buzz" into a contract!
Congratulations also on placing in the PASIC! That's definitely something to celebrate while you wait for the rest of your hard work come to fruition!
Post a Comment