
As you can see from the sign at the top, you have just stumbled across a yard sale. In respect of Kendra's recession related blog yesterday and the seemingly universal struggle to make ends meet, I have decided to get rid of extra stuff I don't need (and at bargain prices, too.) So, take out your wallets, it's your opportunity to stock up on stuff I no longer need (or hope to get rid of -- hey, one woman's cast-off is another's treasure, right?)
First to go, Indecision. This one goes cheap. Buy a big chunk, think Christmas! It's a killer for a writer, but it might be useful for -- okay, nothing. It accomplishes nothing. It freezes actions and undermines forward movement. Still, think about giving the gift (at a reduced rate) that keeps on giving! Give the gift of indecision!
No? Over there! Look. A whole shelf of fear. Man, this is going cheap, too, so stock up for those times when you think you are on top of the world. This is how it works. Things are going good, you are totally on your game. Then someone innocently says something that reminds you you don't really know what the hell you' re doing. Or maybe you read something by an "expert" that seems counter-intuitive to you but figure they know more. Drat. Or maybe you just think of something all on your own. It doesn't matter, that's the beauty of fear. No special requirements, an equal opportunity condition, you can never have too much (or too little...)
I can see you're a tough cookie. I have something guaranteed to soften your cold heart. Over there, lurking behind the monitor, you see her. Isn't she cute? Yes, she's fixed, she has all her shots, she'll sit on your desk and nuzzle your hand and demand just a bowl of cat food every once and awhile and in return, she'll drool on your keyboard. ZAP! Wait, wait, she's free! Come on, you know you want her!
Don't want a perfectly nice little orange cat? Tsk...
Wait, don't walk walk empty handed. That bin over there with the two for one sign on it? That's the Envy bin. Oh, yeah, baby, you know all about this. Maybe not in your conscious mind, but it's there lurking in your subconscious, and who can't use a little refresher? Be sure to read the warnings on the label, though. Rumor has it a tiny bit can motivate ... perhaps. But too big a dose can cause discontent and literary impotence. I don't have a lot of this to get rid of, thank goodness, but what I have I'm willing to let go at a ridiculously low price.
I can see you are a discerning shopper. Let me part the curtain and show you the trio of goodies I save for special customers! That's right, I see you eyeing that little beauty called Greed and right next to it, a companion piece, Impatience. They don't seem related to you? Think about it for a moment. One says I WANT MORe and the other says I WANT IT NOW. And don't overlook Inertia. Yes, I know Inertia looks a little worn around the edges, sure, I've taken it around the block a time or two, but it's still in working order, trust me. You can have all three for half price, but don't tell anyone.
I think that's about it. No, that box is just for show. What are you doing? Don't open that box! Oh, dear, look what you've done, you've released negativity. Gad, it spreads fast, doesn't it? Cover your mouth and nose. Close your eyes. No, that won't work, it seeps through your skin. The only defense is not to let it near you. See it? Look away. Read it? Close the book. Hear it? Cover your ears. Unless you can think of one positive thing negativity can offer you, one way it can return what it takes away from you, give it a cold shoulder. You don't want that either? I'll get the vacuum and we'll try to get it back in the box.
Okay, I can see my yard sale is a total bust. I know, let's make a bonfire! Let's pile on everything that didn't sell -- except the orange cat -- and toast marshmallows!
Did I leave something out that you'd offer for sale cheap?
10 comments:
NOTICE: prices slashed, don't miss out!
Thank you Alice! I really needed a laugh today!
LOL, Alice! Cracked me up. 8^)
How about this lovely lump, er, I mean sculpture of Inertia. Let's call her Iny for short, shall we? I know she's used, and there are a few dings and scratches here and there, but Iny is in great shape. Guaranteed to keep you hovering in one spot without moving for days. Wouldn't that be lovely? Not going forward, not going back, just bobbing on a calm sea of nowhere. No? Are you sure? Come on, I'll reduce the price 50%. 75%! Okay, you can have her for free. Still don't want it? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU!
Wavy -- Glad to add to the laugh meter, thanks.
And Karen, inertia is a favorite one of mine. You described it perfectly. I thought I had it hauled out to the curb for the sale, but I find now, sitting at my desk, that a little seems to have been left behind and has attacked me! Ack!
THanks for playing along!
Frustration! I've got a whole bushel of it and it's on sale cheap today!
Fun blog, Alice!!
I love reading your posts Alice. They always make me smile. :-)
I've got trunk full of procrastination that I'll throw on your bonfire to go along with all the inertia and indecision. Lord knows nobody else wants it!
I have cynicism to add. It, too, seeps into the pores when you're around those jaded by the business for any length of time. I will gladly give it away for free. No? Okay, I'll PAY you to take it.
What I'd like to find - if you have any extra to spare - is wisdom, business sense and promo expertise. Those are in high demand, sweetheart.
That's the trouble with a garage sale focused on other writers. You guys all have the same worthless crap to get rid of as I do.
Paty, brilliant, how could I have forgotten to toe out that big truck of frustration I keep in the closet? I trip over the darn thing every day!
And, Debbie, procrastination? I forgot to add procrastination? No, really I didn't, I was going to add it tomorrow. That's the truth. Tomorrow.
Cynicism is a dandy one to add, Eli. It's like negativity, it takes away more than it offers.
And, by the way, Eli, you brought along a shopping list? To a garage sale? I'll go check the attic, but please, don't hold your breath...
Hey, Alice, thanks for the laugh! But unless you have something for fixing the missing pieces of my wall, I'll have to decline your generous offers. :)
I've purchased too much envy already. Seems to be in direct proportion with the novels on my shelves. Didn't know it lead to literary impotence. Damn. That's what my problem is.
Post a Comment