Saturday, January 30, 2010

SATURDAY CHECK-IN


Current Project: Open Sky Books
Status: well...

Afternoon, everyone, hope your Saturday is looking good. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear what Debbie found out at work this week and how she and all the rest of you are doing advancing your goals.

I completed my author's alterations on the last book, the last step for that book, so I am really, truly out of work. meanwhile, I'm writing and rewriting the first chapter of the first book in the new series, doing my best not to try to stuff so much backstory into the first page. Ack! Every time I think I have it, I get restless and realize I'm not even close. But I'll get it, never fear. My dh and I talked about the first book on a drive to Eugene this week -- the man is really getting good at helping form a plot. Things keep up this way, he can be the writer.

So, how are you all doing?

7 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Alice, that's great your dh can help you with plotting.

I only made 39 pages. Had things happen that pulled me away from the computer.

I'll be ecstatic if I get 30 pages this week since I have a trip to Bend planned on Tuesday and I'll be in Salem on Thursday for the meeting.

Deborah Wright said...

The State of Me

Alice, sorry I kept you and everyone hanging. I just couldn't summon the energy to write about my week until now.

I was informed on Thursday that the new company would not be offering me a position. This really didn't come as a shock -- for various reasons I was about 90% sure this would happen. Many of my colleagues are in the same boat. For some reason, most of them had their last day on Friday -- my last day isn't until 2/12 (Happy Birthday to me?). No matter, I'll gladly take those two extra weeks of pay. I'm still waiting to see what the layoff package contains; I won't know until it arrives in the mail.

I've worked for major organizations for over 34 years -- the Federal Government, Pacific Bell, Intel and Sun. Part of me is terrified at the prospect of not having a steady paycheck and having to look for work at my age and in this economy. A much larger part is exhilarated at the prospect of being free. I'll be posting more about all this in my blog post this week.

And, hey, I actually did some writing last week -- 2109 words! Didn't meet the goal I set, but you know what? I'll take it!

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty -- I think you're the only person I know who shrugs away 39 pages. I would love to have 39 pages!!! Hope you week goes well. If my stupid leg stops acting up, I'll see you on Thursday!

Alice Sharpe said...

Debbie --Well, crap! I'm sorry about the loss of the steady paycheck -- what's that? -- but delighted you are FREE! I don't blame you for being nervous about job hunting in this economy and hope that won't be necessary -- maybe the layoff package will afford you the opportunity to stay home for awhile and devote your time to writing! Eeewwwee!

Hope you are treating yourself extra special nice. I'll be thinking about you!!! And right now, I'd take 2, 109 words, too.

Deborah Wright said...

Thanks, Alice! I'll be honest -- I had a bottle of Champagne chilling and popped the cork on Thursday. :-)

I do plan to take some time for myself. I also plan to focus on my writing. I've always been a 'glass half full' type of gal. ;-)

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Open Sky books--good title!

Very cool that your DH is helping plot. You'll get the book done, as always!

Paty congrats on the pages in spite of interruptions.

Debbie, condolences and congratulations! "Free falling" is still a challenge for me, but I'm doing it--most of the time.:) So glad you're taking some time to dream about the next part of your journey. Maybe doing a storyboard on that topic will help. (Blatant plug for the meeting, in case anyone missed that!)

I didn't work on my nine-book series last week. However, I did spend some good time on the online Author Brand class I'm taking, as well as work on our storyboard presentation for the meeting next week. I also worked on the cover for Chris Young's next book. And my Muse dropped in this morning with some ideas for the St. Patrick's 2011 novella I'll be writing in the next couple of months. This is all in spite of sleeping more the past week than I've slept in the last several months, it seems. Releasing and renewing! And it is making a difference.

The focus for the coming week: doing the rough outline for book 9 of my series, promotion for A VALENTINE'S ANTHOLOGY being released on Feb. 14 (along with Christine Young and C.L. Kraemer), and our storyboard presentation at the meeting on Thursday. A fun week!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Yay, Alice on getting the last book's work done and making progress on the new one. I have no doubt you'll figure out how to make it work. And good for your DH. It's about time he started pulling his own weight around there. ;)

Debbie - oh, so sorry to hear your work news. This economy just sucks. :( I'll be thinking you and hoping something better comes along. I am one of those people who believes things happen for a reason - even when we don't understand what that reason is. Someday this will make sense.

Paty and Genene...sounds like you're both doing great!

As for me...not a lot of "new" work done. My editor showed me the mock up for ENTWINED and I LOVE the cover. It still needs changes so I don't have anything to show yet, but hopefully soon. I finished my proposal (suckopsis) and sent it to my agent Fri. afternoon. She sent it back Sat. night with notes that she loved it, so I made the minor changes she suggested last night and she should be sending it to my editor this week.

In other news...we found a house we're going to look at trying to buy. Lots of stuff up in the air but mostly it means more work around here trying to get our house in tip-top shape so it will sell. Tomorrow DH is taking the day off so we can haul things to our storage unit and clean out the garage (oh fun!). Then...I don't know what I'm doing. Enjoying this mini-break from deadlines, I guess!