Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Kindle Quandary



Current Project: Romantic Suspense
Status: Still out of sync from holidays





My mother gave me a Kindle for Christmas. I gave it back.

I felt horrible when I did it, but I'd felt worse knowing she'd spent a lot of money on something I'd never use. And yes, it was returnable.

Am I the only person who doesn't want one? I held the white plastic rectangle in my hands for a while, asking myself if this was how I wanted to read books, and the answer was a definite NO. I love my books. I love to see the unique covers stacked on my shelves. I run my finger along the spines, pausing on some, skipping others, remembering the story and how it made me feel. I don't think it'd be the same on a kindle. Somehow the above picture doesn't hold the same appeal as reading a thick paperback on the beach. (Must be an Oregon beach. Looks cold.)
I've read blogs and reviews by people who are wild about the technology, but it simply never appealed to me. I do like the idea of downloading a book the minute I hear about it and have that urge to read it. I've downloaded a few books to my computer, but doesn't have the same feel as curling up with a print novel. I know the Kindle has been wonderful for some. A lot of agents and editors use it for their work. Easier to pack around than five fulls.

Some claim this is the future for all books, and we'll eventually move away from paper completely. In Rachelle Gardner's blog yesterday, she mentions technologies for interactive books and magazines such as embedded links, video pop-ups, and choose-your-own ending. I like the idea of the first two technologies for non-fiction, but I don't believe they'll be popular for adult fiction, although my kids would love it in their books.
To me, a print novel is completely interactive inside my brain. I create my own images of characters and locations; I insert myself in the roles and talk with the heroes. I curl back the pages and dog ear the corners. I occasionally place a sticky note when an author has amazed me with their writing. I've embrace a lot of new technologies, but the electronic readers simply don't resonate with me.
Anyone have a e-reader? Do you love it? Who wants to buy one?





8 comments:

Deborah Wright said...

I'll preface this by stating up front that I'm a geek and I haven't met a piece of technology that I didn't like (is there a Technology Addicts Annonymous out there??). That said, I don't think e-book readers are for everyone. I think it's a matter of personal preference, along with expectations.

I have a Kindle and I find it useful for certain things, in particular, travel. I used to lug a ton of books around with me when we'd travel, making my husband grumble about the weight of our suitcases. I'd find it difficult to choose which books to bring along because how could I know what I'd want to read? Besides that dilemma, I'm a fast reader, especially on vacation, so you can imagine how many books I'd want to pack for a week long journey. The Kindle allows me to take a library full of books (assuming I've purchased that many) without weighing more than a few ounces. Amazing! I'll never lug another suitcase full of books along on vacation again.

The other thing I find it useful for is reading certain new authors/books without taking up valuable shelf space. This is something I've been doing while in search of my own writing genre. It's useful to know what's currently out there, but many of these books (which shall remain nameless) aren't what I would consider personal "keepers." The Kindle allows me to have my own personal "reference" section.

That said, I still prefer to read actual books. I, too, love the feel of a book in my hands. Books are also easier on the eyes than an electronic device, no matter how crisp the "ink." I do read books at home on my Kindle, but mostly because I've purchased a few books only in electronic form. Most of the rest are duplicates of hardback or paperback books I already have on my shelves. And if a book I've purchased only in e-book form turns out to be really good? I'll end up buying a printed copy, too, if it's available.

Booksellers should love me. ;-)

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I have to admit, I'm with you on this, Kendra. I think for me, part of it is that I spend all day on the computer, the last thing I want to do for relaxation is read on an electronic device at night.

That said, I do see the benefit to the Kindle, like Debbie mentioned. Travel, weight, space, etc. I've held a Kindle, played with it, etc, and while I do think it's kinda neat, I, too, prefer holding a real book in my hands. I never have to worry about battery life with a real book, never have to worry that if I drop it in the bathtub I'm going to electrocute myself. I can see more than a few paragraphs at a time and I can flip around easy if I want to jump ahead or page back because I missed something in the story. And - maybe this is because I'm a writer - I just love the idea of holding a printed book in my hands. The smell, the weight, the texture...it's like an old friend. I have a hard time imagining myself curled up with a Kindle.

Would I return it if someone gave me one? Probably not. I would probably use it to try out new authors or to download research books, but I don't see myself falling in love with e-readers the way some people have.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Kendra!

Guess my opinion falls somewhere between Debbe's and Eli's.

Since my books were first released as electronic books, I'm definitely interested in e-readers. However, the readers so far have just been too pricey for me. So I download books to my computer.

And with what's coming--"books" that include video, audio and interactive scenes/endings--I'm not going to spend money on e-readers that are already "old" technology.

There's also the irritation of devices like Kindle trying to force people to buy only from one vendor and big publishers charging almost ten bucks for an e-book when you can buy e-books from small e-publishers for much less and the authors get a much bigger percentage of royalties. I'll stop before I climb up on that personal soap box.

But back to your question: would I buy an e-reader. Yes, I will, when one comes out that can handle interactive books with video, audio, and more--and the price is reasonable.

Will I give up my printed books? Nah. I treasure printed and autographed books from authors I know.

My dilemma isn't electronic vs. printed books. There's room in my life for both. It's more the time factor: right now there's not much time allocated in my life for reading. When there is, I'll be happy to give both kinds of publishers a financial boost. :)

Alice Sharpe said...

Kendra -- I'm intrigued by them for the same reasons mentioned by everyone else. (I loved your loving description of books, btw...) I am also leery of them. I've been reading so little lately it's weird, so couldn't justify the expense. I guess I'm on the fence.

Awesome Sauce said...

I will never be one to replace my books with a Kindle or anything else. I LOVE books. And they're easier on the eyes, too. There are great advantages to having books weigh next to nothing and taking a bunch along in data form, but as a permanent form? No way, man!

I love the smell. I love the bend of the pages. The crinkled spine is like wrinkles that mark an old person's face, telling of many hours spent in enjoyment and learning. I love the covers, how different they all are, and also how simple a book is on the inside. Creamy paper with dark black type. I love to flip around and find my favorite parts and passages, the freedom to move anywhere I want in the story, its pages mapped out in my mind. I love to get books that people have scrawled their names into, and sometimes even messages. You can tell where a book has been because of the wear. I love sharing books, like from a library or with friends. Feeling in the use that it has been long-loved.

You just don't get any of that with electronics. And that's the way it is. Maybe someday no one will have paperbacks anymore. But you can bet that I'll still have a huge stash filling all my bookcases when that time comes. ^_^

Anonymous said...

Paper back all the way, baby! I don't want an electronic reader. I love paper books for all the reasons everyone else has stated so eloquently.

I will be very sad if, someday, we can't buy real paper books anymore. And I don't want to deal with all that interactive stuff, either. That has zero appeal to me. Just like all the Blu-Ray "extras"-- it's too much. Sometimes I just want to scream- "Let me think for myself and use my own imagination. Sheesh!"

MJFredrick said...

I love to read on my iPhone, a big part of the reason I got it. I have 80 books on it! I can adjust the font (a BIG deal for me) and it's backlit and I just love holding it in one hand. I tried out a Kindle and a Nook this past week. I would really like a Nook, but I still have over 200 paperback books in my TBR and can't justify the expense right now.

Paty Jager said...

My books come out in e-book and print. I doubt I would ever buy an e-reader until that was the only way left to read.

Books- the smells, the feel of the pages, and the stories were my companions growing up. I spent more hours reading and browsing library shelves than I did anything else other than possibly sleeping as a child. I love the feeling I get when I step into a library and the shelves of books seem to wrap around me like a security blanket.

Another reason I'm not a fan of e-readers is because I am on the computer all day reading or writing. If I want to read for pleasure I want to do it curled up some place comfortable without the glare of a light behind the words.

Long live print books!

But there is a horde of people out there who do like reading and downloading to an e-reader. I applaud those people, too! ;)