Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Journey



I mentioned the other day that I was reading John Steinbeck's Travels With Charley. For those of you who don't know, it's the story of how Steinbeck, who wrote about Americans in America, reached the ripe old age of 58 and realized he'd been trapped in New York for too long, he hadn't seen or interacted with the rest of America in twenty years. So with his Standard black Poodle, Charley, he left on a driving trip that took him a year to cross the country to his home haunting grounds of Salinas, CA and then return, making a loop through the country. It's interesting to note that he wasn't recognized even once in that year. Well, you know, it was pre Internet.

I'm almost finished with the book and it has taken me a long time to read. Months, I think, and it's not a big book, I have just turned into a very slow and sometimes infrequent reader. Or maybe it's the kind of book best read slow, better to absorb the images. I don't know, but when I read the following (near the end of his book), it struck me.

He writes, " I speculated with a kind of wonder on the strength of the individuality of journeys and stopped on the postulate that people don't take trips -- trips take people." A few sentences later: "Who has not known a journey to be over and dead before the traveler returns? The reverse is also true: many a trip continues long after movement in time and space have ceased."

What struck was not only the truth of this statement concerning actual trips. I, myself, have been on both those types of journeys, the sailboat trip to Mexico that still lives on or the vacation to Florida when I was sick with a sinus infection -- that trip never really started.

But what his words also reminded me of was the journey we take with a book, and that can be both as a writer and as a reader. As a reader, for instance, we all know of books that linger with us a lifetime while others are hard to recall the day after we finish them. Perhaps those were books that were finished before they ran out of words, books that failed to engage us, books that we plowed through out of some kind of feeling of obligation to some unknown discipline.

As a writer, I think this sentiment may be even more true. A story is a journey in every sense. For the characters, for the writer creating their paths, for the reader engaged in learning how it all turns out. Think of Samwise the Hobbit and his speech, I believe at the end of the second LOTR movie, when he asks Mr. Frodo to remember the stories that were the best ones, the ones where everyone had to know how they ended, what happened next. Those were the best stories of all because it all mattered. (I heard btw, that they filmed that scene a year after making the movie because the ending needed something to carry the hobbit's part of the story forward, to give it importance, maybe a summation, even.)

We all know what kind of books we want to write and read. This is hitting home hard right now as I founder around in the plotting of my current work -- I want it to matter. I want the story to pull my characters and pull me and pull my readers. I want more than bullets and chases and yet I want excitement and adventure. I want the journey within my books to continue until the last word on the last page -- and maybe even beyond an hour or two. That's my job and it's a challenging one.

Obviously, Travels With Charley will be the kind of book I think about for a long time. Do you have one like this in your life or any thoughts about the internal journey in your own work?

12 comments:

Paty Jager said...

I have a really bad memory, so I can give you titles of books that I remember sparking something, but I can't tell you why. LaVyrle Spencer's Morning Glory and Hummingbird, Nora Robert's Born in Fire/Ice/Shame trilogy, Katherine Paterson's Bridge to Terabithia, and Elizabeth George Speare's Witch of Blackbird Pond.

While I can't remember why these stand out- Just thinking/saying the titles jolts my brain with either feelings of contentment or a heightened sense of emotions.

I think my internal journey in writing is always giving people hope, inspiring to dig deep, and educating while entertaining.

Thought provoking post, Alice.

Awesome Sauce said...

Maybe it's because we're supposed to learn something in each journey, and while the "trip" part might not have ended, it feels over because there's nothing else to learn there. Then the natural course is to seek something else or go home.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and The Host by Stephenie Meyer have made a huge impact on me, to keep the list simple. They're both big on exploring human nature in unlikely situations. Wow, that made them sound really boring... But they're AMAZING, and my favorites. I think any person who read them would love them, because it's all about the essentials of our hearts and minds. The journey doesn't end when the last page closes.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

"...maybe it's the kind of book best read slow, better to absorb the images....[it] will be the kind of book I think about for a long time"

I like this. And it pretty well describes the books that stick with me. I think about them and ponder what the author has presented. These include THE WRITER'S JOURNEY by Christopher Vogler, which was a series of aha! moments for me in the craft of writing.

Books that have also stuck with me include many nonfiction books, not by one author but by Louise Hay and many of the authors from Hay House, which explore spiritual aspects that many people consider "out there." These books have started journeys for me and challenged old perceptions.

As my life journey continues, my characters shift. Actions I might have had them make or words they might have said several years ago now strike me as false or inappropriate.

Sometimes I wonder if my life journey will take me beyond the type of book I currently write. If it does, I'll deal with that when the time comes. Until then, I find telling stories is a wonderful way to share my experiences and hopes and emotions.

Alice, you have had an emotionally wrenching year, which is sure to alter your perspective and perhaps send your life in a new direction. Maybe your writing style is going through some changes too. You are so wise that I know you'll find a direction (and a writing style) that will satisfy you--until the next course adjustment comes along!

Lydia Smith said...

Travel is broadening they say. I have a 21 year old daughter, and of all the education we have given her, paying for trips with her school or friends has made some of the biggest difference in her maturity. When she has returned she has a wider view of the world and its opportunities. Maybe be it's being out on your own without your parents, but I also think it is seeing the country. It's good to get out of your comfort and familiarity zones once in awhile.

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty -- what impresses me about Steinbeck, besides his innate talent to tap into deep experiences of a wide variety of people, is this non fiction book that resulted from his deciding to re-emerge himself in the country and the people. To re-engage himself and not rest on his laurels which by that time of his life were astounding.

I think your internal journey will continue to the end. In fact I think all of ours will and pity the people who forget that every day of life is a day of learning. Writers just get to use what they learn in a particularly satisfying manner!

Alice Sharpe said...

Katie, I love what you said about a trip being about learning something and that when it's over, it's time to move on. Smart girl!

I'm going to look up the books you mentioned. Thanks.

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene, it has been a wrenching year and it seems to me as I work my way through it, I've been writing these unfocused, rambling blogs and dragging you all along with me. LOL, I promise to get back on track soon!

I feel like you do, that my writing may change. I've gone through a few periods of change that have resulted in slightly different writing which maybe I am more attuned to than anyone who reads me. But I';d kind of like to write a book someday that really means something. Isn't that something? Maybe it will happen! Thank you for your always thoughtful and kind words.

Alice Sharpe said...

Linda, it's been so much fun having you on the blog. I wish you'd guest blog, just once, and share more of what you feel and write. But meanwhile, I so enjoy your being here. You are so right about traveling broadening experience and maturity. There's no better way to know the world than to see it for yourself.

Deborah Wright said...

Alice, talk about thought provoking -- thanks for your post. :-)

What immediately comes to mind for me are the Lord of the Rings books. I first read Tolkein in the summer of 1968 (my older brother's set) and bought my own copies a few years later for $1.95 each. I still have those books and I've lost track of how many times I've re-read them over the years. Sure, I have favorite passages, but I've always found something new in each read through. Of all the myriad books I've read since I first learned to read (yay! for Dr. Seuss) as a pre-schooler, these books, without a doubt, have had the most profound impact on me.

On a different note, today my company officially became "a wholly owed subsidiary of Oracle" (all I'm allowed to say per my new (and possibly temporary) Corporate Master. I should find out my official disposition tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Deborah Wright said...

er, that should have been "a wholly owned subsidiary"! Sheesh!

Alice Sharpe said...

Debbie -- My husband introduced the LOTR books to me when I was seventeen and they have been much loved companions since then. I, too, have the original set and have read and reread them so many times. They satisfied such a wanderlust for both of us and I owe Tolkien a great debt for how important his work has been to us.

Fingers still crossed that your work situation works out the best way for you. Thanks for remembering how much all of us care what happens.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Alice, this is such a great post. I read it yesterday but didn't have time to comment. Like Steinbeck's book, your post has stayed with me.

Thanks for sharing that.