
Current Project:same old
Status:same old
It's been a slow week for me. Still thinking things through and taking way too much time dithering over the first few pages. I don't know if it's a stalling technique or the way I do things -- seems to me I remember doing this before, so I guess it's part of the process. Since the dh is still hobbling around because of his operation on his foot, and will be for another two weeks, a lot more chores and puppy duties fall my way and they are energy sinks, too. I think of you often, Debbie, with a dh with a knee replacement, and also you, Genene, with fifty dogs instead of one, but I still whine.
AAs to do this week. Maybe reading the last book one more time will spur me on!
Otherwise, for me, it's more of the same this week, with the ever glowing hope it'll all start to click. How about you?
10 comments:
In addition to all the dithering I did earlier in the week about which project to work on, I had to take my husband in for outpatient surgery on Friday. Nothing too serious, but enough of an issue to delay his full recovery by a few weeks. Add in the imminent job announcement (should hear sometime next week now that the EU has approved) and it's been a bit of a stressful week for me!
Even so, I managed to write something on both projects, (1,546 words on the original project and 1749 words on the new one) for a total of 3,295 words. Not quite the goal I'd set, but I'll take it. :-)
I need to write more words if I'm going to keep on track. I'm going to increase my goal to at least 6,000 words this week. Wish me luck!
Alice, Some times it takes longer for everything to come together. But it will. Taking care of a hobbling hubby and more dog duties would tend zap creativity.
Debbie, Congrats on the progress on both pieces. Hope the job announcement goes your way.
My week wasn't as productive as I'd liked it to be. Only managed 30 pages. I would have preferred 50+. This coming week looks more productive. My daughter has my website up and running. I'll work on promo stuff this weekend and that will clear up all the attention grabbers I had this past week.
So my goal for next week is 50+ pages.
LOL, Alice! I only have six dogs--and they are adults now, not puppies or adolescents or teenagers, and it does make a difference. Well, except for the one who is going through the fence instead of under it. He's now under house arrest in the time-out room. :)
Hope your hubbies heal quickly, Alice and Debbie. I think it's more time-consuming and worrisome to have a loved one recovering than when recovering yourself.
Though you ladies might not have made as much progress as you would have liked, you are still moving forward!
Paty, congrats on getting your Web site up and running!
I didn't think I was making much progress, but had a couple of productive days when I did 47 scene sheets, which finished up the rough outline of book 8 of my nine-book series. Woohoo!
I plan to do some major work on the timeline this coming week and finish a rough outline of the ninth book that wraps up the series. Then these books will go on hiatus for a bit while I write a 30,000-word novella.
I think it's really helped to have vision/story boards of these books on my wall during the plotting process. So I'm really looking forward to giving the presentation with Paty at our meeting on Feb. 4. Perhaps doing a vision board for the rest of the pieces of my life will bring focus to all those pieces too!
Hope everyone has a productive writing week. (Debbie, please let us know about your job situation when you hear.)
Oh, Debbie, I hope everything works out the way you want it to. But look at you getting all those pages in the middle of all this stress! Keep us informed and here's a most sincere wish that you meet your goals!
Paty, Yep, sometimes they are givemes and other times they are like pulling teeth. This was a tooth puller but I finally got the first 12 pages -- I know, small stuff -- but I worked for them. The next twelve should be interesting...
Hope your week turns out the way you want it to. S end us a link to your new web site!
Genene, look at you fly. I am stunned with how complicated three books are -- I can't even imagine nine.
I will be there with glue stick, etc... if I can. I can go to the library for magazines. I hope I can make it -- the sticking point is my dh and my knee.
Btw, I walked this dumb dog four times today and she's still trouble. Ack!!!
Alice, I don't have a new website, I have a new domain name. It is www.patyjager.net
I did make up a new website, then couldn't get it to publish and then my daughter was able to get my old website with new info to publish but it wasn't showing up when you put in the URL, sooo- I had to delete the website (I spent all day making)and then the old one could be seen. It is all a mystery to me, but I finally have a revised website up, but at the new .net domain.
Apologies for my looooong blog absence this week--First DH was sick, then I was really sick with a bad cold, then Tavy was sick, and now DH is sniffly again, but I think we are all on the mend finally.
There were some fabulous blogs this week, and I've enjoyed the chance to get caught up on your doings. Debbie, that is AWESOME progress for such a hard week! Fingers crossed that the job situation works out the way it is supposed to. Genene--Book 8???????? WOW. You go! Paty, your progress is still stellar, and I bet you hit 50+ this week! And Alice, I think this cogitating time is just as important as the pedal to medal drafting time. Or at least that is what I tell myself too. I can't wait to hear more about your series.
My goals for this week--contact four potential speakers for the chapter (um. yeah. hi. Miss Procrastinator here. However, Terry McLaughlin will be joining us in September!), update my website, and write 7 pages. I'm kind of in the same boat as Debbie in that a second project is competing for my mental space, and I'm trying to decide whether to run with it (it's one that I already have the first chapter in). I'm also trying to decide if my plan of handwriting drafts which seemed so brilliant for awhile is actually majorly holding me back. Decisions. Decisions. Decisions.
Wow, everyone's been so productive here. :)
I finished the pages for my proposal and am adding in my CPs crits right now. Hope to have that done today. Then it's on to the suckopsis. Hoping to have the whole thing off and to my agent early this week.
Hi, Alice!
Hope you can make it to the meeting on Feb. 4. I think there will be lots of magazines to cut up, so don't worry about going to the library unless they have lots of older magazines they don't want back. They probably wouldn't appreciate getting them back after we rip out pages and cut out words and pictures. LOL!
Wavy, sorry that you and your family has been sick. Seems to be a lot of that going around.
Thanks for the good wishes on my series. I'm really pleased with the progress. However, since I write in layers (notes, then rough outline, then draft book, then edits and edits and edits before the final), there's much more to do. So it's not like some of you who write a chapter at a time that's pretty much ready to publish.
And since I drafted the first book of the series several years ago, I've lived with these characters for awhile. My thinking and pondering time has been spread out over a long time, not condensed into a few short weeks as Alice's has been and as others do.
And, off the topic of writing, Alice, you may have already tried these tricks with your puppy, but in case you haven't, here are some tips from a trainer friend. If she will chase a tennis ball, you can basically stand in one place while she does all the running. To get her to bring the ball back to you, just have small bites of yummy treats and swap her the ball for a treat when she brings it back. Also, there's a toy that's a ball on a pole and long string (like a fishing pole with a ball instead of a hook) that you can cast for the puppy to chase. I'm not sure where the trainer got it, but I can ask her if you're interested. That way, the puppy gets the exercise and your knee isn't as stressed.
My fur babies have always had another doggie or several for playmates, so I wasn't their only entertainment. I remember them running flat out around and around and around the back yard for ten or fifteen minutes several times a day. No way could I do that!
I don't generally like crates--though they are all the rage with many trainers--but after you wear her out a bit, you could put her in a crate or enclosed area close to where you are working or relaxing and give her a bone or Kong with peanut butter or other yummies in it. She may even curl up for a nap afterward. That way the crate/den has positive associations (that's the theory anyway :).
Happy writing to all!
Post a Comment