Thursday, January 21, 2010

Something's Missing


Current Project: TEMPTED (Eternal Guardians Book #3)
Status: Chapter Four

We’ve all been there. You hear about an awesome new book. It’s getting tons of media blitz. You see it all over the blogosphere, on Facebook, you hear about it on Twitter. You see it displayed prominently at the bookstore, in grocery stores, on the end aisle at Target. You think you’re missing out by NOT reading it, so you pick up a copy. And then you’re left scratching your head.

Writers are not the best critics. Probably because we see things through a writer’s perspective. We know about voice and language, point of view, plot and pacing. We also instinctively know when a story is good and when it’s not. So sometimes – knowing all that we know – it’s a surprise to pick up a book and enjoy it. And then realize…something’s still missing.

I started reading a new book last week that I was eagerly anticipating. I enjoyed the plot and characters, the world and conflict. The story itself was good. But I walked away from that book thinking it could have been better. I scratched my head over this for a long time. As a writer, my instinct is to try to figure out what didn’t work so I don’t repeat the mistake. And after thinking about it way more than I should have, I realized the problem I had with this book wasn’t the story, it was that I never felt like I understood the characters to the degree that I rooted for them one way or the other.

That’s a pretty major element in writing. Drawing your reader in so they cheer and root for your characters. So they cry and yell and angst with them, as well. Pulling a reader in so they become part of the story rather than an observer is key, but it isn’t always easy. And if you aren’t doing it, then I guarantee your books will never be considered great reads.

So how do you do it? I’m by no means an expert, but here are tips I’ve picked up over time:

1. You – the writer – put yourself in the scene. A wise writer once told me in order to make a love scene believable and not something that sounds like it was part of a sex-ed manual, you have to put yourself in that room with your characters. You have to become a part of the scene yourself. You can’t sit back and describe what’s happening like you’re making a shopping list. That advice has stuck with me, and it carries over into my other scenes, not just my love scenes.

2. You use deep POV. Sometimes this is tricky – you can walk a fine line between being TOO deep in a character's head and not being deep enough. Too many thoughts and ponderings slow pace, (and make readers roll their eyes at the angst) but not enough leave readers (like me) wishing I understood the characters’ thinking more. A good balance is no more than two short paragraphs (preferably 3-4 sentences) in a character's thoughts before you toss in action or dialogue to balance the scene.

3. You explain the things that need explaining and you ignore everything else. I recently read a paranormal that left me so confused by page 50 I had no idea what was going on. The author didn’t explain the terms and tools and words that were unique to that book’s world enough for me to feel like I was part of the scene. And what she did spend time explaining seemed trivial and not needed. If it doesn't matter to the story, cut it. If it does, you better make sure your reader understands how and why.

4. You write to the middle. I have friends who are professionals who talk over my head. I know writers who do the same. A novel is not the time to prove you have a stellar vocabulary. If your reader needs a dictionary by her side to read your book, then you’re not writing to the middle. You’re writing to the extreme. And trust me, you will lose readers.

5. You think things through or–gasp!—plot, so that YOU know your world well enough to explain it and your characters. This seems like a no-brainer, but when I’m judging contests, the #1 thing that pushes a writer from great to mediocre is when you read something and know the author doesn’t have a handle on their world. Their descriptions aren’t detailed, things don’t seem to make sense, they contradict themselves. Nothing bumps a reader out of a book more than confusion.

How about you? What bumps you out of a book? I’m not talking about the common errors new writers make. I’m talking about the things that keep an already GOOD book from being GREAT.

7 comments:

Lisa Leoni said...

Great list! The only one I can think to add is predictability. There's a difference between being predictable and guessing. I like to guess what is going to happen and I get excited if I'm right. But I don't like to feel the story is following a predictable path. Or heroines with predictable traits, same for heroes. Just bugs me.

Alice Sharpe said...

I like your list. I kept wondering which of those things I did in which book. How could you not?

As for what ruins a book for me -- assuming the characters are good and the story gripping, the number one thing that kicks the air out of it is a throwaway ending. I like things to come to some kind of satisfying resolution. If it's been a violent book, then I don't want the end to be a phone call.

I'm with you in the angsting department, but know I indulge it too often. Thanks for the reminder to keep it tight.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Eli, you're making me think! I read your post earlier, thought about it while I went outside and worked in the sunshine --yes, sunshine! And still don't have a solid answer.

Many things will pull me out of a book. The list is getting as long as the things I need to watch for when I edit, including the mood I'm in. Excessive anything (sex, vulgar language, angsting, violence, etc.) will pull me out of a book. It feels like when a writer didn't know what to do, s/he threw in: sex, vulgar language, angst, violence, etc. However, many of the things that seem excessive to me sell like crazy. So I try to be aware of my own preferences and not pick up books or watch movies that aren't to my prejudiced tastes. :)

On the other hand, a book or movies doesn't have to be complicated to be a wonderful story. Some of the movies I've watched with the grandkids over and over and over are very simple, yet they have all the elements of a great story: characters that are likeable but have some flaw(s) that they overcome by the end of the story--they grow and change so that their innate goodness shines. Secondary characters that are interesting and maybe even quirky. Scenes that make me cry, scenes that make me laugh, scenes that make me go "awww." And an ending that fits the story.

What can separate a good story from a great one? Perhaps it's what editors look for: the same but different. A story that's familiar enough that we feel comfortable in the story world, but with enough twists to surprise us and invite us to look at the ordinary with a different perspective.

Thanks for the thought-provoking post and the list of things to add to my editing list!

Paty Jager said...

Coming up for air- I've spent(wasted) all day making a new website with the creator from my website host and now I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to show up on the internet. ~sigh~ I guess I'm not supposed to have an updated website.

Anyway, I too, have been pondering your post, Eli. I agree with your list and Lisa's addition. I also agree with Alice on the ending not fitting the rest of the book.

Another thing that I don't like is when a tone is set in the beginning of the book, and yes I know you need some lulls in the action, but when a tone is set and the story wanders from that tone, I'm disappointed.

I read a ms lately that had sexual tension oozing from the pages and when they hit the sheets the author closed the door before you could see how the heroine who had a bad sexual past handled the situation. I needed to know her thoughts and feelings because on the other side of what I felt was a missing scene, everything was peaches and cream when I wanted to know what she went through to get to the peaches and cream state.

Awesome Sauce said...

Wow, I wish was smart enough to post something alongside these great remarks, but I have tired-brain and really can't. But I just wanted to let you all know that you're geniuses and I'm gonna grow up to be just like you! LOL

Deborah Wright said...

So many great things to think about! I don't have anything to add, except that each of the things on your list resonate with me. The trick, for me, is figuring out how to put everything together seamlessly. :-)

Lisa Leoni said...

Katie you're hilarious! lmao