Saturday, January 09, 2010

SATURDAY CHECK-IN


Current Project: Three book series set in Wyoming
Status: plotting

After reading a couple of times this week that people intend to use the Saturday check-in to help keep themselves on track, I felt doubly ashamed I forgot to do it last week. But as they say, "I'm baaacckk---"

At this point, I'm cautiously optimistic about the books swirling around in my brain. While it seems I've been gone from writing a long time, it's actually less that seven weeks -- still seems forever. It's good to be inching my way back.

The meeting I missed this week had to do with goal setting and people have been coming forward with theirs. I'll do mine here and invite anyone who wants to to either state or restate theirs to do so now. That way they'd all be in one spot and maybe they'd encourage each other!!!

Mine: Finish and submit a proposal by the first of March. This means a fully realized backstory to act as an umbrella for all three books, a fleshed out first book with three chapters and a synopsis as well as a partial short synopsis for each of the two subsequent books. I've spoken with my editor and if it all comes together, that would mean I would write the first book by summer, the second book in the fall and the third book in the winter. That's the plan. All I have to do now is think Wyoming...

Your turn.

8 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Hi Alice!

Congrats on the Wyoming stories. Sounds intriguing! ;)

Well this week was mostly research reading for me. I did get about two pages actually written.

My goals for the year-
Have Spirit of the Lake off to my editor by April 1st.
Have Spirit of the Sky to my editor by September 1st
Have Lawyer in Petticoats to my editor by December 31st.

I want to get all the series books done and out of my hair by 2011.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Alice! I'm sooooo glad you're back and have ideas swirling for a new series! CONGRATULATIONS!

I did 50 rough scene sheets this past week, which almost finishes a rough outline of book 6 of my nine-book series.

Monday, I also started the online class, Branding for Authors, that the chapter is sponsoring. Good info and I've had a couple aha! moments already. One of my goals this year is to complete the homework in this class and put it into practice.

Other goals for this year are:

--Do promotion for my next release, "CHASING RAINBOWS," which will be part of A VALENTINE'S ANTHOLOGY, to be released February 14 in both e-book and print-on-demand formats. Our book launch will be Sunday, February 14, at the Willamette Humane Society, and we'd love to see you then. More details coming later.

--Write a novella for release on St. Patrick's Day 2011.

--Finish rough drafts for each of the books in my nine-book series.

Sounds like a lot of us are starting the year off in a productive mode!

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty -- Looks as though you and I are on the same schedule! I'll be rooting for you. And I love the title of you second book in the Spirit series, Spirit of the Sky. Very pretty.

Lawyer in Petticoats? That must be the last of the Petticoat books. Cool.

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene -- 50 rough scene sheets. I am in awe and amazed and envious, all at once. I'm glad you're enjoying the on line class and whoa, girl, you have a busy year ahead!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Yay, Alice!! So glad you're back!

I'm on chpt two of my proposal. HOpe to have it done my mid-Feb. to send to my agent (sooner would be better. We'll see.) Today I'm updating website stuff and getting geared up for my promo for MARKED. (Omg, already?!)

Deborah Wright said...

A three book series in Wyoming? Go Alice! :-)

I'll restate my main goal: have a book finished, edited and ready to submit to the Golden Heart in November. Whew! That's a real challenge for me, but I'm determined to make it!

Breaking it down into more manageable chunks -- this week's goal is to write a minimum of 4166 words. hmmm...better get cracking!

chanceofbooks said...

I know this is super late, but part of my commitment to myself is to use this thread every week.

Wyoming! I'm excited to hear about books set in Wyoming---I love that setting.

I mentioned my year long goals on the loop. My goal for this week is to get my edits out to the requesting editor and write 5 pages.

Alice Sharpe said...

Bethany and Debbie -- I'm a little nervous about Wyoming as I haven't been there in years. Been taking video tours... hope to drive there this spring.

Good luck on achieving your goals and Wavy, glad the tummy (and the dh, Debbie) are feeling better.