Current Project: Promoting A VALENTINE'S ANTHOLOGY
Status: To be released February 14!
I've been taking one of the online classes offered by our chapter on author Branding taught by Jenn Stark. This isn't a class just for those who are already published. It can be a good exercise for a pre-published author who wants to get a head start on developing promotional materials or who wants to focus their pitches to editors and agents.
I wanted to take this class. I needed to do this. Getting a tattoo might have been less painful for me.
Now, why would having a good instructor presenting thoughtful information be so challenging? I think it might have something to do with one of those internal journeys that Alice talked about yesterday. Not only did the instructor want to know the basics of what I write, how many books I've had published, etc. She wanted each of us to dig deeper: Why do I write the kinds of books I do? What words describe these books? Do I want to write these kinds of books? What are my goals as a writer?
Then I had to dig into words that describe me as a person, because creating a brand is more than having a catchy slogan for my books. Once I have a brand, I'm actually supposed to use it to move my writing career forward so it's supposed to be something I'm personally comfortable promoting in a positive way. Crabby procrastinator was not what she had in mind!
I had to think. I had to learn. I had to confront my stalling self and do the homework. (Shhh...I still have one more worksheet to do, but it's optional. :) The result is that I'm still refining my author brand.
The instructor also had us try our hand at slogans. I tried on a lot of them--some with promise, but none that jumped up and said "This is it!" The closest I came was "Forged with drama, tempered with humor, and polished with love."
Another scenario she suggested was to imagine that you were being introduced on a TV show, and what would you want them to say about you? I struggled with this and finally came up with this intro: "Genene Valleau writes stories of people who claw, laugh and fumble their way through heartache to the welcoming light of hope and love." Still needs work, but it's something to edit.
How about you? Can you sum up what you write in ten words or less? Or write a one-sentence introduction for yourself?
Developing my author brand will an ongoing work in progress, but at least I now have tools do that development. Many thanks to Jenn Stark for teaching this class. If you want to know more about her process of developing an author brand, please visit her Website at
10 comments:
Wow, Genene, it sounds like I should have made time for this workshop. I'm glad it is helping you.
Here goes: Western tales filled with twists, turns, and heartwarming characters.
Paty Jager writes believable, heartwarming characters and plots filled with twists.
Paty, this is great! You've got your brand down pat, and carry it through so well. Your Web site, your blog posts, your appearances, your lifestyle--all carry a Western flair.That's what Jenn has emphasized more than once: a brand needs to be something that fits you naturally as a writer and as a person. I'm still refining that fit.
But now that the homework for the class is fresh in my mind and I've been thinking about it, I've come up with another slogan I like: Warm and witty stories with an edge of dark reality.
This is also fitting well into the Vision Board presentation we'll be doing at the meeting. As I'm doing my vision boards, I'm able to incorporate things I'm learning from the Brand workshop into those boards. I love how things all come together if I just get out of my own way!
Genene -- This is the kind of thing I have to be blindfolded for, hog-tied and bull-whipped and fed massive amounts of something stronger than coffee. The whole process makes me nervous. I admire the fact that you felt this way and yet went forward and conquered it! Way to go!!!
Me? I've been on one TV show. The people interviewed at the noon newscast, then segued away for an ad, promising their audience they would be right back with "Best selling author Alice Sharpe," who would "Reveal the secrets of writing a best seller."
Huh? Excuse me, did Stephen King just change his name to Alice and is he here? I about died.
I have to think about this. First I need to lie down for a moment...
LOL, Alice! Blindfolded, bullwhipped, etc. I think those might have helped my internal resistance. It's crazy how I sometimes resist the things I know will be good for me and I want to do. Go figure!
However, since you already know "the secrets," you don't need any of this stuff. So what did you tell the TV audience when they came back from the break? Please reveal all! :)
Ooh, this is fun. It's almost like choosing a super hero name and power and then coming up with your own theme song! Haha!
"Stories made of pure awesomeness. And walruses." I wish that was my slogan.
And people would say: "Her book made me laugh so hard that milk shot out my nose, and so I became a professional milk breather. It's like a fire breather, only it comes out your nose instead of your mouth and it's milk instead of fire. Wanna see?"
Yeah, that's how I want it to go down. Totally SWEET! LOL
Genene, you're doing great! This kind of work is hard going, but it will pay off in added passion and focus for your work. Take your time and (as I keep saying) enjoy the process!
LOL, Katie! Definitely a catchy slogan!
And when will you have a book finished? Because I really want to read it!
Hi, Jenn!
Thanks for taking time from class and the many other things you have to do to stop by and say hello!
Jenn is the instructor of the Author Branding online class I've been taking. And I pre-apologized to her for any surliness that might have slipped into class posts or worksheets. When my brain works hard from thinking I have a tendency to get a little, ahem, crabby--though I do try to edit that out before I hit the "send" button.
Wonder if I could change my writing style to something where "occasional crabbiness" could be part of my author brand? Just kidding!
I vote yes on occasional crabbiness. It makes things more interesting.
Me? Have a book finished? Um... Hopefully within the year. Yeah. I'll get... right on that... LOL *skulks away guiltily*
Hey, Katie!
No guilt allowed! Just in the blog comments, it's obvious you have a distinctive voice. It will be a joy to read your stories whenever they are finished!
Post a Comment