Monday, July 27, 2009

Delving into those characters


Current Project: Leg Shaving Leads to Trouble
Status: This is the book that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends. I started writing it not knowing what it was, but I'll continue writing it forever just because, this is the book that never ends.

On my last blog post I whined about my book and how I've restarted it a couple of times once I got an idea for the plot that would strengthen the plot and be more conducive to conflict. But it brought up a major problem with my book that I wasn't seeing clearly at that point - I don't know my characters very well. The fact that they didn't seem real to me allowed me to keep changing my story, and my conflict was never very good.

So this time around (and the final time, dang it!) I'm going to get to know my characters better and hopefully knowing their quirks will drive the conflict. I've always thought of plots before people, but that's not always the best route to go in romances.

I looked for some articles and worksheets on how to create great characters, and here is some of what I've found:
Creating Great Heroes and Heroines by Anne Marble
Developing Characters in Novel Writing by Beanerywriter
A 9-part series on developing characters, including worksheets
Character and story graphic organizers

What are some ways that you develop your characters? Do you do the plot or characters first?

9 comments:

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Lisa!

I seem to develop plot and characters differently with each story. But generally, the characters drive the story.

I'm pretty methodical. First comes the original idea--which can come from overhearing a snippet of conversation, an article in a newspaper, seeing a suspicious activity in a parking lot, etc., etc., etc. Then I play "what if." What kind of person would be involved in that situation and why, especially if it's something out of character, because that sets up a conflict right away. That also gives me a big "why"--what would motivate a normally law-abiding heroine to smuggle something (or someone). From that, I come up with a hero who would oppose her actions. A cop would be a natural conflict, or it could be a man who had something very dear to him stolen--or perhaps she is smuggling what was stolen from him.

After I have the initial conflict set up, I brainstorm the character development and plot by chapter. If my book will have fifteen chapters, there will be fifteen steps in the development of the hero, the heroine, and the plot.

Toss in some secondary characters and a subplot or two--depending on the length of the book--and let the story unfold. :)

I don't know my characters through and through at the beginning of the story. I know some basic things about them and get to know them as the story develops.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Alice Sharpe said...

Hey Lisa -- You brought up some interesting points.

I think what Genene said goes for me, too. If I think back to the inception of the book I just finished, what came first was imagining a situation, an instigating event. Then working forward, who would be the people caught up in this event? What would their motives be to explain their actions? What would challenge their growing attraction to one another? Who (because it's a mystery) would be trying to physically manipulate them or the event?

I'm not methodical, I don't consciously think of steps of growth, I wish I could do that, I'm sure it would make me a better writer. I'm going to check out the links you sent!

So, I don't know which comes first, really, they just kind of grow together, but I really do believe the fact you recognize you can switch things around so much because you haven't committed to your characters is a very important step.

And I love your status report at the top!!!

Anonymous said...

ROFL about your "status". I can see Shari Lewis and Lambchop singing that one right now. I miss Shari. *sniff*

Anyway...

The way I develop my characters is to do a detailed character sheet. Probably something similar to what you've posted. (will check them out asap. thnx for the links)

Also, I like to do a mini-outline to see if it's all going to come together with the characters and the conflict. I use the one that (I think) Chris York gave to us at one of her presentations. *memory fade* Anyway, it helps me to see if I'm on the right track with a strong enough conflict that will make it throughout the novel, and it's one that you do in about 30 minutes. It asks questions that really get you thinking. It's great!

So, that helps me with my characters, conflict, and the plot. I admit I don't know everything about my characters when I'm done with these steps; however, it helps me with backstory so I don't end up writing backstory into the actual novel; rather, it ends up in the mini-outline and character development sheets. I you want them, I will email them to you to peruse. :)

Okay, believe it or not, I'm actually off to write!! My DH and the boys are all upstairs with their five X-Boxes playing games, (is that how you spell X-Boxes? Box's? Looks weird. rolling eyes) and my DD is housesitting with one of her BFF's. So, I'm hoping to get a little peace and quiet and some writing time in.

Good luck with your novel. I just LOVE the title. If I saw it at the bookstore I'd buy it just for the title!! LOL

Karen Duvall said...

Great question, Lisa. My methods have changed over time, but something I know for certain is that I don't know my characters until I understand their pasts. Their backstory shapes who they are now, so even if I don't use the backstory I come up with in the book itself, I have to know what it is for each character. Then I get them on the page and watch them develop from there.

When my characters interact I really get to know what they're about. Also, using the character chart from Story Magic does amazing things for my book as a whole, especially when it comes to goals and conflicts.

Paty Jager said...

I agree with Genene. Some of my books come out of the characters and some come out of the plot. But even if it's a plot I come up with first, I don't get far without making a connection with the hero and heroine.

I have collected several different character building info sheets over the years, but I always seem to go back to my own system which is to start a document and write down everything I know about a character as it comes to me. Some of the information may change as I start fleshing out the story and the other characters. As they do I add and delete until I have a description of my characters, their back story and some of the scenes turning points in the story.

During all my traveling this week I've been listening to the cd I borrowed at the meeting. Several have been Aha moments for me. (Alice, I'll be sending you an e-mail when I get back home. I have some questions about some things I heard about RS)

I can't remember the name of the author or the class she taught but it had to do with nine character traits and the flaws and how to make them work to play the hero and heroine against one another for tension and conflict. It sounded less confusing than other character trait classes I've heard.

Not sure this is much help.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Ditto to what Alice and Karen said. Backstory is key to determining who the characters are today. Figuring out what kind of characters would be in the situation YOU want for your book is also key.

Worksheets make my head hurt, so I'm no help there, but for me, the best way to flesh out characters is just to think about them constantly and to write. The more I write, the more I get to know a characters thoughts and feelings.

Which brings up another point...I know at one point you were simply writing pages and pages of dialogue. For me, it's not so much the dialogue that gets me into the character's head as it is the internals - what he or she is thinking and feeling that spurs on a particular conversation. If you're missing a lot of introspection (and you don't need a lot in the actual m/s but you might for fleshing out the character in your mind) then that could be one reason you don't know your characters so well.

Just a thought.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

And I'm LOL about Becky's 5 X-boxes. Can't anyone in your house play a two-person game?

Lisa Leoni said...

Genene, I like your method. Especially the "what if" approach. A lot of my ideas come from little snippets too, I'll have to try that!

Alice, it seems like once you become comfortable with your process you wouldn't have to think it through in so many steps. That you would just learn to trust your instinct and it seems like you have!

Piper, you keep writin' girl! I like the character worksheets too, for at least a reference point. A good place to keep track of the quirky things we think of. Mmmm Xbox....I'm jealous!

Karen, I love the Story Magic character sheet. That's such a great program.

Paty, I like the idea of keeping a running document. That would be good for snippets of dialogue and description.

Eli, great point about the internals. I remember one thing I wrote - I started it in first then transferred it to third. It worked really well for me. Maybe I should do bio's in the characters voice, about themselves. Hmmmm...

Thanks, everyone!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, they play two players all the time, but they each have their own because they all play so much and not always with one another. They like to play their friends online.

However, we're not completely terrible parents because we make them do a 'check-list' of stuff before they can play. The said check-list takes about 5 hours to complete. It includes a myriad of chores-- reading a book for an hour, reading scriptures for 30 min, practicing piano, playing outside or with toys inside if it's too hot, and then anything else I have for them to do. They usually get to play video games, if the list is done, from 3:00 until bedtime. And they have to break for setting the table and cleaning the kitchen after dinner. Oh, and then we do family scripture time and then they get to go back to games.

When you have a herd of children, you have to have a schedule!! LOL