Current Project: Untitled Suspense
Status: Plugging along
Status: Plugging along
I need some input. This is something we've discussed before and I snooped through the archives and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so you get to put forward your answers again.
Why do you go to conferences?
I've been asked to guest blog on the International Thriller Writer's publicity blog for their July Thrillerfest conference. A suggested topic was why would I travel aaaall the way to New York City from Oregon to attend this conference. Lol. I almost said my covered wagon was in good repair and I was confident I could make it. She was a sweetie and very kind to ask me, and I understand that the Pacific Northwest is still a foreign frontier to many living east of the Mississippi River.
For the Thrillerfest conference, it's not the workshops or agents or editors that attract me. It's the writers. I simply want to rub shoulders with the authors I read and adore. Soak up their brilliance and creativity. Have a drink in the bar with Lee Child or Robert Crais. (yeah, I'm dreaming.) So many fabulous authors are attending. The list is insane. Hopefully I won't have too many drooling fangirl moments.
I have a different philosophy and attitude for RWA Nationals. For that conference, I want to learn as much as possible in the workshops and special tours I'm attending. You can imagine how pumped I am for the KOD tours of Quantico and CIA headquarters. Plus I love the networking. I can't wait to meet some of the people I've met online.
I've never been to NYC. The conference is located near Grand Central Station, at the heart of so much to see and do. I only have three and a half days. I need to prioritize what to see in the city. Any suggestions? And can anyone recommend fabulous high heeled shoes that I can walk a mile in without killing my feet? Does such a thing exist?
Help me out here. Give me some great NYC conference attendance reasons I can blog about so I don't sound like a stalker.
15 comments:
Kendra, What an honor to guest blog on for the International Thrillerfest blog! It sounds like an awesome conference! I think your wanting to rub elbows with your idols is a good reason to go.
I'm afraid if I attended a conference in NYC I'd skip the conference and go to Broadway shows and visit all the places I've read and heard about.
Why do I go to conferences- In the beginning of my writing it was to learn the craft and become a better writer, now it's to network and help writers who are where I once was- beginning the journey of becoming published.
It's so funny about you wanting to say getting in your covered wagon and heading out. When my oldest brother's best friend went to college 30+ years ago, he thought it was funny that because he came from one of the remote areas of Oregon they all thought he was like a long lost mountain boy or something so he'd act like things like flush toilets and modern conveniences were new to him! LOL He came home with some great stories!
Not sure I was much help. But your post was fun to read.
That's awesome you were asked to guest blog for ITW about your conference experience! I can't wait to see what you come up with.
I debated (heavily) about Thrillerfest this year, but in the end couldn't justify the time or expense awaay on top of everything else. At this point in my career I go to conferences for the networking and promo aspects. To spread my name, to meet authors and editors, to learn more about the industry (because there's still so much I don't know!) Considering I write suspense, Thrillerfest probably would have been a good one to attend, but with it the weekend before RWA, it was just bad timing for me. I also heavily debated RT (in Orlando) next week and passed on that as well for a variety of reasons (but primarily on advice from both my agent and editor). Next year I may attend RT - I'll have four books out then - and I won't know about Thrillerfest until I figure out the dates, but I just don't know yet.
Conferences are expensive. I wish I could go to more (like the Australia Romance Readers Conference!), but for the time being I have to pick and choose what's best for me at this stage in my career.
BTW...I LOVE your covered wagon idea. You should totally use that one in your post!!!
I agree about the covered wagon. Use it!
I go to conferences to see friends, re-establish a relationship with my editor and get a feel for what's going on in that piece of my world. Many Intrigue writers got to Thrillerfest -- I heavily debated going two years ago but in the end did not. Last year I attended no conferences and found to my surprise that I missed that bonding time with friends near and far. And there's always the hope there will be an ahha moment, that some piece of a random workshop will strike me in a way it never has before and give me insight I don't yet have.
The last two national conferences I attended I did so after meeting a deadline. Both time I developed ideas for future books I went on to sell while at the conference and so in that way, I figured they both were well worth the money.
As for telling you how not to look like a stalker when stalking is your obvious goal (as it would be mine, too) I don't know what to say! It's a great honor to be asked to blog on the ITW and I have complete confidence you will handle it with your usual skill and dry humor and will triumph!
A drink with Robert Crais in the bar? Say hi to Elvis Cole for me. Or maybe he's more like Joe Pike.... I expect a report.
Oh, I forgot about NYC.
I went to a national conf. there a few years ago and ten years before that, as well. Ten years before, I went on a walking tour with a former editor who lives there and she about killed me. Get good shoes, New Yorkers walk EVERYWHERE. And take $$$, the city is pricey.
There was another trip to New York for a different reason where I rode the train from Connecticut to New York, (I can't tell you exciting it was to debark in Grand Central STation.) went to the museum, etc... what fun was that? Last time I was there, I went to the library -- again, wow --and made sure to do some NY things, at least for me. Hot dog off a vending cart, drink atop Rockerfeller Plaza, soup in a soup kitchen, ferry ride, just walking the streets, going into the narrow, very long grocery stores and seeing the different food and who shops there... I played tourist and loved it. Part of it is simply because I'm a country girl so city life is always a little out of body experience.
And, oh yes, went to see a Broadway play.
Again, forget the high heels, buy good walking shoes.
Congrats on being asked to guest blog! You'll have to let us know when you post.
I've looked at the Thriller Fest web site and the program looks fantastic. I'd love to hear Lee Child's presentation on creating a series character: "How to mine the unique strengths of the series format without succumbing to its fatal weaknesses." I find it fascinating to hear authors talk about their process and what works for them.
I agree with Alice -- forget the high heels and take a good pair of walking shoes if you plan on doing any exploring. I've only had the opportunity to spend a single day in Manhattan (20 years ago) and we walked everywhere. With our limited time, we also decided to just play tourist. We saw Times Square, went to the top of the Empire State Building, window shopped 5th Avenue, bought a hotdog from a street vendor, and walked and walked and walked. You'll have more time and I'd say, decide what you'd like to do and just do it!
Wait. What? KOD is touring Quantico? Aw man! I shoulda joined KOD!!!! Is the tour sold out? That would be AMAZING!!!!!
When I go to PR conferences - it's to get ideas on strategies I can take home and adapt for work.
When I go to anthropology academic conferences - [1] it's to listen to current research and see if there's something that sparks my interest to consider for grad school, [2] to listen to presentations by professors and try to get a sense for whether or not I'd be happy working with them for 5-7 years; [3] to try and learn about field schools; [4] and the usual networking stuff.
When I go to writing conferences it's to get free books (I know, I know), meet other aspiring authors and published authors, and try to learn new craft tips. This time I'll be attending more spotlights, especially for Harlequin, because several ideas I have feel more category to me.
And again --- QUANTICO????
Congratulations on the guest blogging! I almost spit out my water when I read your covered wagon comment ;)
Paty- I remember going to DC 20 years ago and meeting a group of 10 to 13 year olds. One of my friends was holding a baseball bat and had these kids convinced he had no idea what it was.
Alice-I want to play tourist so bad. I don't know if I'll have the time. I'm sure I'll fit in a hot dog. Shoes. I saw a walking shoe store today and noticed some with a pretty good heel. I might have to try them on.
Glad you're going to Nationals this year!
Eli- Australia Romance Readers? Ooooh. I may have to fit that one in some day!
Debbie-Did you know Lee Child sold the first book he ever wrote? The first in his Jack Reacher books? Grrr. I'm starting to think I should look at different shoes.
Lisa-I'm so pumped for the tours. Yes, they are full and I'm sure there is a waiting list. lol. Yes! Free books. Forgot that. Adding to list.
Kendra, the NY conference sounds wonderful! I know you'll have a fantastic time!
I don't go to many conferences since I have a herd of doggies at home. When I do venture out, it's for many of the reasons already mentioned: networking, learn something new, free books, meet authors I've only talked to online, do booksignings and get my name "out there."
It will be fun to hear a recap of your conference experiences when you get back!
Yay Kendra on this great opportunity.
My mom is from NY, so I have been a bunch.
Go to MOMA. My other favorite museum is the Museum of Natural History. I like it so much more than the MET. You also should go to the main public library. It makes a good refueling stop if you are walking in that area, and it's pretty darn impressive. I never get tired of it. They give tours if you want something more formal than a look-see. So many books are set in NY or mention NY. If you are thinking of using the city in a future book, you might look for details that you can't easily capture online. Spend a little time in an area that looks intriguing. Take copious notes.
I will ask my mother for more writer friendly NY places to visit. Check back here as I will try to get her to post later.
Oh and for shoes--whatever you take, break them well before hand. NY in the summer is very sweaty and dirty. Don't go for anything open toed, but also be prepared for more humidity than Oregon. There are a lot of different surfaces to navigate--sidewalks, grates over sidewalks, high door steps, turning doors, marble entries, slippery sidewalks--I'm a really clumsy person, and I always manage to trip while I'm there. Many NY ladies I know carry their pretty shoes ala Working Girl in large lovely purses (a must pack) and do a fast swap before entering a nice establishment. Or they own stock in Danskos. :P
MOMA check
No open toe shoes check
Post a Comment