
Current Project: Leg Shaving Leads to Trouble
Status: *hears crickets*
My reading tastes are a-changing, and to be honest, I'm not all too happy about it. I rather liked my reading tastes before and I was perfectly content to keep them as they were. But noooooo, they had to alter and I had to become more picky.
I don't like it.
Recent releases of some of my absolute favorite authors just aren't resonating with me as much as I would like. I know it's for many reasons - I like different things, different characters, plots and emotional themes are pulling to me, my sense of humor has changed. But also, I know that authors can change in their writing. I can't like the same things forever, but dang it I'd like to!
There are some series that I would bust down Borders' door at opening to get to the recent release. Now there are times where it's a month or two past release and when I see it in the store my reaction is, "oh, I might as well pick that up." And then I find myself not as pulled in, not as excited as I used to be. It's frustrating me rather thoroughly.
I don't think it's because I'm a more experienced writer, because I'm not. Maybe it's because I'm a more experienced reader? Maybe life experiences of the last couple of years have changed me? Maybe there's an alien living inside of me who is controlling my reading tastes?
Have you noticed a drastic change in favorite genres, authors or type of books?
7 comments:
Lisa, I think you have been going to the college of reading and are now reading to enter the workplace, ready to apply what you've learned to your own career.
Write the stories you want to read.
And yes, reading choices change, how could they not?
The other salient fact is that writers are people with families to feed and some have a tendency to just keep going on and on with something they are sure will pay a good return (or that their editor will buy). I've seen it many times in a series of books that just run on too long, and also with writers who fall into patterns. As readers, we might be dazzled by the fancy footwork for awhile but eventually we want something different. And yet alike. Ack!
So, how's your book coming????
Oh, yeah! Big time. I am so much pickier than I was even two years ago. I think some of it is what Alice says--my standards are higher now b/c I've learned so much for my own writing. I can not tolerate backstory, head hopping, weak plots, or pseudo-realism anymore.
Also, I'm more aware of the wide range of books now. I have a huge TBR, and I have access to more. If something doesn't work for me, I put it down and try something new.
As far as genre goes, I get "genre overload." I can only read so many historicals or vampire or suspense or whatever in a row. I need variety.
I was on a horrid streak of nothing working for me for about two months, but then I've been revived the last few weeks with two good reads. (Shannon McKenna's Ultimate Weapon (steamy suspense) and Stephanie Kallos's Sing Them Home (literary fiction))
Yes, no, all of the above. LOL
Growing as a writer I've found I'm less tolerant of authors I at one time loved.
And I have ventured into some other areas beside my standard RS, mystery and historicals. I took over editing a book for the fantasy line when another editor did a disappearing act. This book has made me wonder if I've been missing something about elves and such. And I have two friends who write erotica.I now read an erotica now and then when they have a book out.
So I think where you are in life and who you surround yourself with are part of what changes your likes and dislikes.
Great post!
We're on the same wavelength. It's scary! I just put on my Facebook page that I'm in a reading slump and nothing's exciting me right now.
I think tastes change, Lisa. And sometimes it's just that you're reading too much in the same genre. I've started reading historicals lately, which I've never done before.
And sometimes I think that "slump" is a sign telling you to stop reading so much and go write your own stuff. At least it usually is for me. ;)
Alice, love the metaphor! I think that's a great point. In one of my favorite series, the heroine just doesn't do it for me anymore. In the other, the books used to have HEA's at the end - but the last one I read was a continuation. That frustrated me, I was expecting a HEA when I picked up the book.
It's going okay, I'm slowly working through rewriting the first 1/3 of the book. How's yours??
Wavy, I have not yet put down a book I started reading. But sometimes I wish I had the guts to do that! I know what you mean about genre overload, that happens to me too.
Paty, it can be fun to try new genres! I'm glad it's working for you :)
Eli, I've been reading a lot more historicals too. I blame Italy. That's right, I am blaming a country. Well I guess it's far from blame since I like them, eh? ;) I didn't pack any romances on my dig because my suitcase was crammed with osteology books and tools. But a couple of the girls who decided to bring two bags (haha!) brought a few historicals. After a few weeks I needed a romance fix so I read them. The rest is history.
Chiming in late...
I've totally been in a reading slump too. Couldn't get into any of my MOST favorite authors, so I tried some of my "just" favorite authors and that helped.
I was reading paranormal for so long that I got really sick of it, too.
So, I'm back to historical and medieval again, and reading my MOST favorites, again. Now I'm big happy. For the moment. LOL
Good luck with your reading and writing.
I really like Alice's comment, "Write the stories you want to read."
I used to hate to put a book down also. I'd just skim it really quickly, hoping that it would draw me in/get better/whatever. I don't bother with that any more. I have limited reading time and if I don't absolutely love a book (i.e., not want to put it down and stay up most of the night reading it) I will set it aside to pass on to someone else who might appreciate it.
Post a Comment