Current Project: Doctor in Petticoats
Status: Chapter 17
I blog once a month on two historical author blogs besides this one twice a month and my own three times a week. There are times I wonder how I’m going to think of one more thing to write about. Luckily with the historical blogs, I give info about research I’ve done and the people who comment like the fact they can glean useful information from the blog and not have to go digging for the information themselves. And I feel good about sharing with others so it’s a win-win.
For this blog, I rack my brain to come up with writing related topics and there are times I feel like a cheater because I don’t think my topic is valuable to anyone and I’m just rambling. I’ve never had a desire to be a teacher, yet, I find, I want to give people some tidbit of information when I blog and when I write a book.
Same goes for my own blog. I hope that when I give personal information about myself, it makes readers want to check out my books. When I host another author I hope readers purchase one of their books, and when I do the Friday Faves, I hope again something is useful to the people reading my blog.
From looking at other writer’s blogs, I like the ones where I glean a tiny bit about them and a lot about their writing. The ones where all they talk about are their families or pets, I tend to not go back and read. But if their lives are interesting, like they are traveling somewhere and making comments, then I’m hooked.
This week on my blog, since I don’t have a guest for Wednesday and I’m stuck out here in the boonies, I’m thinking of journaling my week and putting up a post every day. Only because some people might find it interesting to see how I survive in a 10x16 cabin with outdoor plumbing.
Do you read very many blogs? If you do which kind do you like the best- information about writing, promotional, personal, or a mix?
6 comments:
This is a really timely question for me, as I'm trying to decide the direction of my own blog/website. I am currently leaning towards separating off my parenting/life/pets commentary and my book/writing commentary, but having one splash page. Still figuring out exactly HOW to do that. I read a huge mix of blogs. Some focus just on writing. Some do a mix of writing & author's lives--however, I'm kinda like you and I really don't want to know ALL about my favorite authors. I read a lot of parenting blogs and those are usually a mishmash of topics.
I love blogging about parenting & life & pets, but I'm not sure how it juxtaposes with my writing career and how best to separate it, yet still capitalize on the platform I've built.
Wow, Paty! Congratulations on reaching chapter 17!
I don't read many blogs, so don't lend too much weight to my comment. :) A lot of different things catch my attention, usually if it's a unique perspective that makes me think and if it's related to something that's relevant to my own life at the time. However, sometimes a topic totally unexpected will catch my eye. With me, ya never know!
Wow, Paty! Congratulations on reaching chapter 17!
I don't read many blogs, so don't lend too much weight to my comment. :) A lot of different things catch my attention, usually if it's a unique perspective that makes me think and if it's related to something that's relevant to my own life at the time. However, sometimes a topic totally unexpected will catch my eye. With me, ya never know!
I don't like promotional blogs. I like a blog that makes me think and that can be craft, personal or something more esoteric. And I like them well written. If I am continually rewriting someone's words as I read, it drives me nuts. I'm not talking about small things, we all make mistakes.
All that said, I don't habitually read any blogs but ours although I often check in when alerted to an interesting blog or one done by a friend.
Paty, everyone struggles with what to come up with as their blog day rolls around. The one position I would not like to find myself in is putting out meaningless words just to fill a quota -- who wants to read that?
I don't read many blogs, either, but the ones that catch my eye are the ones the capture the sparkling personality of the blogger. There are some I've bookmarked that I'll read now and then, when the mood strikes and when I want a lift to my spirits.
My two favorites that I catch once a month or so are http://www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com/ and http://watchmebe.livejournal.com/ Both are by writers who are young and funny, and they make me laugh.
I struggle with my own blog. For a while there I was doing great at blogging m-f, but I'm never in the mmod anymore. I really have to push it at times. Tuesdays I always post a teaser.
Paty, I think blogging about your life in a tiny cabin in the middle of nowhere has potential! Very memoiresque. :)
I keep a list of possible blog topics to pursue. I'm not very consistent in my subject matter, but I usually stick to writing related posts.
Hey all. I'm sitting int he RITE AID parking lot in Burns! checking e-mail and the blogs.
Wavy,you could set aside one day a week for parenting and pets and devote a couple other days to the writing or vice-versa.
Genene- I should have known your answer! LOL you do seem to flit around.
Alice, I agree about mindless drivel to fill a quota and I felt a little like that way about this post.
Karen, If you want to learn how the first weekend went stop by http://www.patyjager.blogspot.com I'll be adding more tonight as I sit in my car at the end of the road!
Having to drive somewhere to get internet is very frustrating!
Post a Comment