Monday, December 22, 2008

Stealing a Rant From Bethany



Current Project: Improper Pinkerton
Status: page 320

I read the first story of a Christmas anthology last night to relax. I didn't relax. The more I read, the more I couldn't believe the story was published- and by a large press.

The heroine kept alluding to the reason the town's people had turned on her, and she just plain came across as whiny. I think the character and story would have been stronger had the reason been right out there and the author had given the character more internals about the problem and why she was so desperate to make the Christmas Eve Church Program the best ever. As it was, I never felt a connection to the heroine. She just seemed to wishy-washy and whiny.

Then the reason the town was giving her the cold shoulder was they thought she was a prostitute, so why in heaven's name did she sell store merchandise (her father only had utilitarian items in his store- she purchased and sold frivolous items)out the back of the store at night to men? DUH! Don't you think that helped fuel the rumors she was supposedly trying so hard to prove wrong?

Then her father leaves and she doesn't know when he'll be back. She has a store room full of her frivolous lovely Christmas gifts and Christmas decorations a rich woman ordered then left town without paying for- My first thought was "She's going to whip out the better merchandise and the decorations- well... over a chapter later she finally does. I swear this is the slowest thinking heroine I've ever encountered!

I liked the hero. He was clear thinking, action oriented, and his internals and externals made sense and drew the reader in more than the heroine. But I must say I was ready for the end of this story. And I read it to the end thinking it had to get better- the end was "Yawn" an end.

Now I'm hesitant to to read the other two stories in the anthology. But my curiosity will get the better of me and I'll have to see if they are any better.

Again, I shake my head that this kind of thing can be published and other outstanding stories get pushed to the side. What a fickle industry we are in.

17 comments:

chanceofbooks said...

OMG! I know this book! I didn't like the other two stories, but story three is probably worth the first 10 pages to see if you disagree. Personally, I'd wrap it up and stick it in someone's stocking :)

One of my biggest pet peeves is characters acting inconsistently with their personality and/or goals. It's okay to take a wrong path or to do conflicting things (We all do this--we want an organized house yet we go to bed without doing the dishes), but a character needs to act in a believable fashion for their archetype. I'm reading the Wife Test right now, and while I'm having a hard time with fact that historical accuracy got tossed to the side, I have to give this author public kudos for keeping her characters true to their highly unusual goals/archetypes. Ditto Kresley Cole's Dark Needs which I finished this weekend as well. It's hard when you have a nontraditional hero or heroine to make sure that you don't slip back into cookie cutter mode or place them in unrealistic situations.

A good test is to ask yourself if you are just placing a scene for comedic value---are you writing a slapstick sitcom episode that doesn't connect to the overarching story line, or are you writing a SCENE. Purpose. Purpose. Purpose.

Karen Duvall said...

I don't read a lot of anthologies, but I think it's hard to flesh out a character in so few words. I'm not excusing these bad stories, just offering a possible reason behind their obvious failure. I have an anthology of steampunk stories I've barely made a dent in, and some of the ones I read were hard to finish because they were so boring.

Paty Jager said...

LOL- I'm half way through the second one and frankly trying to see how she's going to make it work I haven't felt anything for the hero or heroine. They could have both been written so much deeper.

I actually won the book from the third author. So I'll give hers a look see and hope it is better than the other two.

Great insight, Wavy!

Anonymous said...

Paty-- I agree with you about the fickle industry and their "taste" for what should and shouldn't be pubbed.

It's so frustrating to get a crap book that you pay almost $8.00 for and then can't even stomach finishing. That's why I usually read my "go-to" author's "suggested reads" on their websites to see what they recommend so I don't waste my time or money.

With the economy in the crapper right now, we all want the most "bang for our buck" and putting out $8.00 of long-green for a crap story is not going to fly with readers anymore. The industry better be careful about what they're putting out there or people are going to find a better way to spend their money.

Thanks for your rant, Paty. I hope I don't pick up that anthology! LOL

Alice Sharpe said...

Well, I think I disagree with Karen about the possibilities of fleshing out a character in a short work. Karen, I read your shorter work (Was it titled For Love or Money, egad I can't recall. I'm so sorry and if I go look now I'll have to start over so I'll check it later and groan! Correct me!) Anyway, you managed to do it. I used to write confessions, over two dozen of them, in fact, and I think I managed to make sympathetic and empathetic heroines, etc. and Paty said the guy was good, she liked him.

Nope, bad writing is bad writing, no matter the length. Even semi predictable plots can be enjoyable with wonderful characters or with clever twists. And staying true to your character's POV is key to everything. Plus, no one likes a stupid heroine. No one.

Paty Jager said...

Karen, I've read a couple anthologies before and you can make a reader love a character in a short story if you do it right. Usually one may be bad, but so far..I'm thinking I'm going to bat a .0 on this whole book. We'll see when I start the third story.

Becky, This is an series book that is no longer available to purchase so you won't have to worry about picking it up.

Alice, I agree, it doesn't matter the length of a story, a good writer will make the story sparkle if it's a page or 400 pages.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Paty and all!

This blog and comments come as good reminders for me, as I will be doing serious edits on my novella next week. The finished work will be about 30,000 words instead of the longer stories I usually write.

This may be another reason--though, again, not an excuse--for shorter stories not measuring up to an author's usual work. The author may think they can dash off a shorter story in less time and don't take the care they would with a longer story.

So once again, thank you all for the timely topic and comments! I'll pay close attention to the basics of writing a good story as I do edits.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

The comments I removed were filled with strange letters--nothing top secret! :)

Alice Sharpe said...

LOL, Genene, we all do these kinds of things occasionally!

My father, however, would have said, "The car (or computer) is only as good as the nut on the end of the steering wheel."

Ha, ha.

Danita Cahill said...

Wow, doesn't sound like a relaxing read at all. The more we write and learn about writing, the harder it is to entertain us with stories, huh?

I'm going to type in "grogra" the word verification. If this post goes through, I'll write a bit more. I just hate it when I rattle on and on and then the blogosaurus rex swallows all my words. Know what I mean?

Danita Cahill said...

Karen, what is steampunk?

Paty, if the anthology is by three different authors, I would give the others a whirl.

I enjoy short stories -- genre, literary, whatever. As long as they're well written, and there are some dandies out there. I think writing them is definitely more challenging than writing a full-length novel. Tight, tight writing is what it's all about.

Good luck with your novella rewrites, Genene. I have a novella I need to pull out and rewrite too. It has real possibilities, but definitely needs more emotion and tighter writing.

Danita Cahill said...

Wavy -- how goes it with Tavy? She enjoying the whole Christmas tree, presents, excitement in the air? Dalton wavers from naughty to nice in the blink of an eye. We've had two family get togeters so far with gift opening. The presents left wrapped under the tree are driving him nuts!

Karen -- I read back through a couple of posts. Great job with the puppy. She must have a lot of those famous border collie obedient brain cells.

I rescheduled our morning trip to the doctor for booster shots for the boys, gave them baths, and popped in Pinochio. Both crashed out in the living room. Woo-hoo! Free time. I can't believe it. I get a chance to look at the blog and comment even.

I'm done with Christmas prep. Better be, since I ran out of scotch tape anyway. I plan to mail out a few more cards -- no biggie if they're late.

I wrote and turned in my first two stories last week for the reporting job. Fun. I had one in Thursdays paper. Another will go in the Christmas issue. I'm still sending out queries, stories and photos to magazines. Got a rejection on one idea on Saturday. Oh well. Partial of novel # 2 is still out with the editor.

Take care. Merry Christmas to you all!

Paty Jager said...

LOL- Genene. I've been having problems with my fingers working right all day. Could be the fact they still haven't warmed up from feeding this morning in 5 degree weather and having to break ice in water troughs.

Alice- love the saying!

Danita- Howdy Stranger! Good to get your perspective on things.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

My father, however, would have said, "The car (or computer) is only as good as the nut on the end of the steering wheel."

LOVE this, Alice!!!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Alice! Your father was right! Nutty as charged. :)

Danita, congrats on the stories!

And, Karen, forgot to say what a great job you're doing with the puppy!

Brrr, Paty! I enjoy the snow, but don't like the cold.

Hope you all stay warm and gets lots of writing done!