Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Current Project:Untitled Intrigue
Status:Chapter Four, kind of


Doesn't this book look like a great Christmas gift for a writer? You can purchase it brand new at Amazon for two bucks (or used for $1.85). No, I have not gone to work for Amazon, but this is all I could find when I went looking for a cartoon of Snoopy at his typewriter.

I've mentioned before that I wrote a book while undergoing Chemotherapy. I plotted a book while my husband was having open heart surgery. During another surgery of his this summer, I finished up a proposal and two weeks ago, while sitting beside my mom's hospital bed, I figured out the synopsis for the current WIP. Last week, while my sister visited my mother in the nursing home for a few hours, I completed the current proposal, basking in the realization that I can write my way through anything.

Sister is a thousand miles away now, the long haul is upon us. Missing one day with my mother is like casting her into a fog bank and yet she forgets I've been to see her before I can even get out of the building. Yesterday we discovered the nursing home had only been giving her pain medication if she asked for it. I'm not sure how they expected a woman in such mental confusion to understand how to request it, I only now know she's been there eight days with a broken pelvis and has had one pain pill. We cleared it up and they immediately began administrating them on a regular basis and lo and behold, she's actually more cogent than she's been in over a week.

My point? I can't write. I've thought about this quite a bit and have finally decided that I could write during the other stresses because everything that could be done was being done. Things were in motion, wheels were turning, the car was speeding down the road with an able driver behind the wheel and I could retreat into my head and make up stories (though, frankly, to me, writing always seems less like making things up than relating what happened to so and so on their way to a HE.)

This time, the car is speeding down the road, but the driver is too short to see over the steering wheel. Or, the driver is drunk. Or, the road is being bombed. Pick a metaphor, it doesn't matter, the point is there is no room for retreat. I have to sit in the passenger seat with my left hand on the wheel, helping to steer, hoping to keep the tires on the road and avoid obstacles. If I'm not paying attention, things will get worse. There's no one else to take care of this matter. And while in this mode, I'm finding it very difficult to find a writing place inside my own head.

Everyone goes through these times when events and circumstances overwhelm them. Experience has taught me that I will eventually find a way to deal with my mother's needs and my own and that even if her situation never improves and turmoil becomes the new rule of the day, I will adapt. But it takes a little time and a little patience to domesticate new troubles and they sure can freeze you in your tracks when they first rear their ugly heads.

We use to end a blog like this, but within the last year or so, we usually tack on a question or two. I don't have any questions for you. My fondest wish for each of you is that you have no idea what I am talking about! However, that seems unlikely. Eli just saw her dh through a trying time, many of us have lost parents, Piper is moving -- life is in constant flux, and I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise that the theme of many of my books is that things change, embrace change. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I do, it's just that I know I should.

14 comments:

Karen Duvall said...

Oh, Alice, I really feel for you! I know what it's like to feel out of control, when events around you happen as they see fit and you can't stop it, can't direct it, can't "consciously" change it. You don't know what's coming around that next bend in the road, but you focus so hard on it that the world around you continues on in a blur. Yes, I know exactly what that's like.

My thoughts are definitely with you during this obviously tumultuous time in your life with your mom. The intensity of it all has its hooks in you right now and I hope it eases soon. Most of all, please remember that you must take care of you.

Paty Jager said...

Alice, hang in there. You're right, each of us has gone through things in our life that threw a knot in our rope of life. It takes some time ot figure out the knot and get back to life.

I hope things level out with your mom and your life soon. There is nothing worse than knowing you're needed but unsure what exactly that role is and how to maintain your life as you know it.

Paty Jager said...

Karen, Our Border collie is named Boots. My husband named her, but I call her Tootsie all the time and she comes to that. Have you noticed how a dog will wag it's tail and come to you just by your tone of voice, or you can say the same thing in a mean voice and they cower?

I find that interesting especially when you have a dog that knows words, yet your tone makes the difference in how they respond to the word.

Paty Jager said...

Oh- and I was wondering how you got Jersey from a black and white dog! LOL Becky's right, they are the prettiest of the dairy cattle. Large brown eyes with long lashes and a wonderful tan/brown color. They are also the sweetest and mellowest of dairy cattle. We had one we milked when I was growing up her name was Elsie.

Alice Sharpe said...

Thanks, Karen. I don't know that anything will ease, but I do know I will adapt. I appreciate your warm thoughts. I thought for a long time about what to write about, then I wrote most of this blog and then cut it and sat there for awhile and faced the terrible fact there wasn't anything else in my head to talk about! So I pasted it back in.

(I'm so excited about your new puppy!!!!)

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty, you're right, it is a knot in a rope. Most knots untangle given time and a little hard work as this one will, too.

Hope your writing is going as planned!!!!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Ah, Alice, cyber-hugs and calming energy to you.

Perhaps you're not in the passenger seat, but you are the driver. Things may seem out of control, but you are actually getting rid of the garbage until it's clear that you are in charge. You are changing things for the better.

For right now, maybe you throw away all the "shoulds" and shut down everything that doesn't mean survival, including writing.

That's OK. No guilt. Just let the strong, beautiful, giving person that you are emerge as a powerful, positive force. You are awesome!

( P.S. More cyber-hugs, prayers and healing energy to you, your mom and your entire family.)

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

P.S. to Karen--Congratulations on your new puppy! She sounds adorable!

I had to go back and find the comment where you announced her coming. My e-mail is erratic again. Hmm...perhaps a reflection of me. Time to seriously work on that. :)

Karen Duvall said...

Thanks, Genene, I think she will be adorable, though I haven't seen her yet. I'm getting nervous. I haven't had a puppy in so long! We used to get our dogs young from shelters, but never started from "scratch" before. We're getting a puppy this time because of the cats and are hoping they'll all learn to get along early. My cats were used to our old dog, but they don't like strange dogs because they get chased.

I'm heading to Pet Smart today to buy a "crate." Never did that before, either. And the whole house training thing. Gah! Thank heavens for youtube.

chanceofbooks said...

Alice,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Having watched my grandmother's 10 year struggle with Alzheimer's, I saw the toll it took on the whole family, most especially my aunt who was her primary caregiver. Even though there are so many tasks piling on you, try to find some (however small) that you can delegate away & find tiny snipets of time to do things that relax you--music in the car, nice candles when you finally make it home, etc. There may be things that your distant siblings can do--my mother helped my aunt with phone calls, research, and paperwork from a distance.

If you ever need to vent, I'm happy to listen.

I really wish that I was more like you and Paty and able to write through life's ups and downs--I'm not, and I know that that's one of my shortcomings as a writer. I *thought* I would be able to type away with a baby, but ha ha ha ha.

Deborah Wright said...

{{{Alice}}}

(for anyone unfamiliar -- those are cyber hugs. :-)

What is it with this year?? I certainly hope next year turns out to be better for all of us. Alice, you're in my thoughts and prayers. And I'll echo what others have said, please be sure to take care of yourself, too.

Alice Sharpe said...

Thanks, everyone, for all the warm thoughts and {{{{hugs}}}}. It really wasn't my intention to ask for sympathy, but it felt nice to know you all care and I know that springs from so many of you coming from a similar place. Wavy, I may take you up on that offer so start screening your calls!!! Plus, I could never have written with a baby. Perhaps raising a couple of them is what made it possible for me to figure out how to write through most things when I got older. But a baby? No way.

I found out today this will be going on for several weeks and there's a deadline coming, so will have to figure out a way to adjust. Tomorrow, for instance, I AM NOT DRIVING TO ALBANY! I AM NOT DRIVING ANYWHERE! I am going to stay home and see if I can start chapter four out of what's left of my brain!

And Debbie, amen. What IS up with this year?

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Oh, Alice. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Cut yourself some slack and during this trying time, remember that you're only human. There's only SO much one person can do.

The book will get written. It always does. Take care of you and your family and know I'm thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

The cyber monster ate my first comment. Sorry. I'll try again. UGH! Stupid so called technology. Anyway, the first comment was sorta like this...

Big (((Hugs))) Alice, and I'm sorry your going through this and that it's so hard. I'm also very sorry your mom has to go through this and seemingly alone since she can't remember things. That must really suck for both of you.

I hope that this will be a time you can look back on someday and find something good in it.

All my love to you and good energy too so you can keep up. ;)