Status: Swamped. And obsessing.
I just realized this is my last blog post before STOLEN FURY releases. Eleven days and counting. Apologies if you're tired of hearing me talk about the book, but this post is going to be all about my obsession. Or neurosis. Or...the life of a (almost) published writer.
Most of you have already been through this, so it's nothing new, but for me, "R" Day (Release Day) is all I can think about. My poor kids...they're all psyched for Christmas and Santa Clause, snow and twinkling lights. And all Mommy can focus on is what happens after Christmas. Did I finish the Christmas shopping? I think so, but honestly, I don't know. Did I order bookmarks though? Is the Launch Party all planned out? Does the bookseller know how many books to order? Did I remember to send out invites?
This is my life these days. Stressing over this and that. I think I checked my Amazon ranking like 10 times today. Did you know my book is listed under time travel romance? Yeah. I have no idea why, but I was #36 today! (Stop laughing.) The good news is my measly Amazon ranking has gone up since my contest went live, so that's encouraging. And several people (strangers even!) have emailed me this week saying how they can't wait to read the book. Another good sign. And to top it off, Bethany informed me my book is listed under a "can't wait to read" list on Amazon. That sorta made my day.Of course, I vacillate between being super excited about the release and scared to death. It's different from sending my book to publishers and agents. In a matter of days, people are going to be able to READ it. Readers. Not industry professionals. The real test as a writer will come when the book is truly out there. And real feedback starts rolling in. What if they like it? What if they hate it? What if I'm truly kidding myself here...what if I can't write at all???
See? This is where the neurosis comes in. I am sure all writers feel this way at one time or another, especially just before sending their "baby" out into the world, so I'm comforted by the fact I'm not alone. But even that knowledge can't curb the crazies over here. I'm very lucky in that I have a ton of people spreading the word about my book. Not just my fabulous RWA pals (you guys rock!) but friends and relatives who are telling their friends and relatives about the release. And I know when all is said and done, things are going to be fine. I'll survive. The book will find fans who adore it, and probably some who don't. (That's okay, too). But at the end of the day, I'll go back to writing and move on to the next book, just like every other writer out there.
It's a cycle, really, isn't it? And I feel like I'm finally coming to the end of the first circle. About to go around again. The really crazy part is, I'm looking forward to that next circle. And the one after that. And the one after that. I guess that's what makes us writers.
So to finish this neurotic post...here's my shameless self promotion.
If you haven't checked out my FORTUNE & GLORY CONTEST yet, do it. It's fun. Visit the link for a bit of, well, fortune and glory!
I have a spotlight article going up on the Dorchester website. It should be put up sometime in the next few days. I talked about what sparked my interest in writing adventure. Check it out at www.dorchesterpub.com.
And on release day, I'm going to be a busy blogging girl. I'll be blogging at the following places if you want to see how truly neurotic I can be: Magical Musings, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and The Rose City Romance Writers Blog.
And just to prove I can do crazy like the best of them..my hubby asked me tonight, "What do you do on release day?" I said, "Well, I'm going to be blogging all over. Then you're taking me out to dinner and I'm getting drunk." He smiled and said, "Sounds like a plan."
This crazy thinks so too.
17 comments:
Neurotic- Yes! LOL Excited- that's normal! Bask in the glory of the first release, and the next one and the one after that. Each release is thrilling because you are introducing new characters to your readers.
Good luck with the release party. From the look of the weather, I probably won't make it.
Okay, I'm spinning the wheel. Neurotic--not neurotic--neurotic--not neurotic -- and it lands on Neurotic!
Congratulations, you have just won an all expense paid vacation for one to the funny farm (state and federal taxes, alcohol and gratuities not included)!
As I read your blog, I realized this is yet another way I am not a ST author. Not only do I not have sweeping ideas, not only am I short winded, not only do I have a "voice" better suited to genre fiction but I do not have what it takes to propel a book in today's market. I don't have the will, the determination or the single minded obsession. It's fascinating to watch you. I think your launch day plan is perfect. And I agree the process is a cycle.
I know it will all live up to your expectations!
I'm so excited for you, Eli! This is an extra special release for you because your books are going to be everywhere. EVERYWHERE ACROSS THE COUNTRY! So a blog reader in Coshocton, Ohio, can learn about your book, go to her local Barnes & Noble bookstore, and pluck it right off the shelf! That's a benefit neither myself, Paty or Genene have with our POD books. From my perspective, that makes you a success before you even launch out of the gate!
The release of my first couple of books was exciting, but frustrating, too, when potential readers would email me to ask why they couldn't find my book at their local store. Distribution is everything to an author's success. Dorchester has it in spades, plus they help promote you! Wow, what a concept! 8^) You're so very, very fortunate to have MMPB, IMO.
Wish I could go to your release party, but Paty's right, the weather makes it mucho prohibitive. There's a freaking blizzard out there.
Have fun at your party and I can't wait to hear the news that your book's gone back for a second printing! Yay!
(((HUGS))) Eli! Obsess all you want, but don't drive yourself crazy.
Most of us do survive First Release Day, although I did hear about a romance writer who fell into a vast vat of ink and was doomed to live the rest of her life between the pages of--gasp!--a literary work! KIDDING!
You and your book are going to be a smashing success!!!
Genene and Paty, I should have added that watching you guys promote your books is also mind boggling to me. I admire your spirit and your ideas. Paty, I've got to get over to wherever you're blogging and see what's going on!
Excited? YES! Neurotic? YES! Focused? YES! Isn't it wonderful? What else could mobilize every emotion? You're ALIVE! Your kids will survive watching their mom "make it." And how great that your husband shares your joy and your ideas of what to do after the launch party!
We're looking forward to going to your launch party even if we have to walk there using my trekking poles for balance on the ice or snow. How fun! And we can't wait to read your book!
I think you need to ban yourself from Amazon for a month or two. If you're obsessing now, just wait till the fan reviews start coming in. And you don't want to be one of those Dear Author horror stories about authors who stalk their review section! :) :) :) :) :)
You will be FINE. Better than fine. You will do GREAT.
Aw, thanks, Paty.
And this is sure crazy weather, isn't it? By next week we're supposed to be back in the 40's, so I hope this wild weather doesn't hang out all the way to Jan. 7th, when my launch party is scheduled.
LOL, Alice. Alcohol is not included? What kind of resort are you running over there?!
Personally, I think you'd make a fab ST author (seriously...come to the dark side. I need company in neurosis-land.)
Aw, thanks, Karen. I can only imagine how frustrating it is to have people asking about your books and not being able to find them. I sure hope booksellers are buying my book. I've been telling everyone to go buy it on the 30th...I only just started thinking about what happens when they get to the stores and it's either a) not there yet, b) the bookseller didn't order it from the list or c) they didn't order enough.
Ah, see the things I worry about????
Oh, gasp, Genene! The horror!!!!
Thanks for the chuckle. ;) Somehow, I think I'll survive. Though the next time you see me, I may be eyebrow-less.
Ditto to what Alice said, Genene & Paty. Having spent the last few weeks in promo-land, I'm really in awe of all you guys do. AND write at the same time. I haven't been writing this month as I've been on the promo-bandwagon. I don't know how you do it all.
Aw, thanks, Barbara. Right now I think my kids just think I'm nuts though. LOL
And I can just see you with your trekking poles. Now THAT's a true friend!
Funny story while I think of it...my mom's a teacher in Dallas. This week - being stranded at home from the snow (because she refuses to drive in it) she ventured into the downtown area several times to get out and walk the dog. But because she'd left her trekking pole in her friend's car from one of their last hikes, she had to improvise. So she unscrewed the broom handle and used that. She told me last night several of her students and their parents commented to her on Thursday (when she went back to work) that they saw her trekking around Dallas with her yellow broom handle. I laughed for quite a while over that one.
I KNOW, Wavy!!!! I seriously need to forget those web addys and NOT go to any of the bookseller websites. I see how authors can be obsessed.
You know your faith in me means the world. And I appreciate all your excitement (and IM's!). While I AM a neurotic mess right now, hearing from you DOES make this whole crazy ride that much more fun.
Piper, I love you! I need to hire you for PR. Lisa's doing a lot of the news/web PR...you can do all the in-person stuff. After this snow melts, I'm going to come down to Albany and you can show me where these bookstores are and we'll get some signings set up. I can just see you standing out front directing traffic into the store. ;)
Your release excitement (neuroticism included!) and all the promo you're doing has been helping keep me going these past couple of weeks from hell at work. Feel free to talk about it all you want! :-)
How could we not be excited for you? And I think I've had your success on the brain -- I woke up this morning having dreamt that you'd sold yet another pair of books. I even knew the title of the first book (though I've forgotten it now). So I must think you're handling all this pretty well! LOL
Quick! Debi! Tell me the title!!!!
That's too funny. Though I'm serious about the title. I still have no title for the 2nd paranormal I have to write. And another two-book sale would be pretty sweet. ;)
Glad to hear I'm not overwhelming everyone. You all are so sweet to put up with me! (I think my hubby's ready to have me committed.)
Post a Comment