Saturday, December 06, 2008


Current Project:Faith's Book
Status:Page 54
How is everyone doing? Now that November has faded away, have you set new goals for yourself? Still finishing original goals? And those of you who worked hard to establish writing habits that you would like to sustain, how's it going?

After a rough start to Chapter Four, I'm hopeful that I have come to some sort of peace with my personal life and can now hunker in for the next 225 pages ("hunker in" being a relative term which in this case includes frequent trips to Albany -- my goal is to let go of the angst when I get back home.) The deadline is Feb. 15th.

Can't wait to see how everyone else is doing.

8 comments:

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Good morning, Alice! At least it's still morning in my little cave and the sun is shining beautifully, melting away the frost from last night's cold. Brrr!

I'm so glad you're back at the computer and making progress! But you knew you would get there. {{{Hugs}}}

I'm deep in promotion for FEATHERS ON THE FLOOR, which will be released on December 12--less than one week away! It's interesting for me how promoting a book is like visiting old and dear friends. I remember what I liked so much about the book and discover some things about the story that I didn't see when writing it.

It's also a kick for me to hear my two grown sons say they are waiting to read this upcoming book, because they've not been readers of "romance" books. These comments and some other reactions have made me realize my books aren't strictly romances. They are adventure and drama with a strong love story. That gives me another way to promote my stories. Love it!

OK, I'm babbling, which means I need to wrap this up and get back to my other projects!

Next up in the writing arena: after promotion calms down in a week or so, I'll be back at work editing my romantic comedy novella, CHASING RAINBOWS, for a Feb. 2010 anthology.

I haven't set all my specific goals for 2009 yet, but general goals will be to promote my February 2009 release, gear up promotion for the release of the February 2010 anthology, and focus on writing my nine-book series. Lots of good things!

Once again, Alice, I'm glad you're back in writing mode!

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene, it looks as though it's just you and me, baby. Everyone else must be out enjoying the sunshine. I bet Karen is out teaching her dog how to be a dog!

Thanks for continued warm wishes and support, but as you said, life is settling back into its patterns. You sound as if you are going to be a very busy girl in the next few months. I admire your enthusiasm and your fertile imagination.

I don't think I write "typical" romances or RS, either, but then I don't have any idea what typical is. I bet everyone deviates some.

Love the name of your novella!

Barbara said...

Hi Alice and Genene! You both are doing so well! I'm nearly completed with typing my nonfiction book on postpartum depression into the computer. I've learned that the bulk of the book (minus footnotes) is a little over 40,000 words long. I didn't count when I wrote it in 1977. I wrote it by hand (pen), actually cut the paper and taped it to edit, then typed it with carbon paper to make to copies on my typewriter. Then a typesetter re-typed it for the printer. There were no word count features on my typewriter or his typesetter. How times have changed.

Today I went to the Salem library and looked up postpartum depression and found 18 books listed! At the time I wrote my book, I couldn't find even one book on that topic. I'm not sure a rewrite of my book is still needed, but I'm going to read a couple of the most recent books and see if they left anything out that I think is important. Or perhaps I can draw attention to the topic by writing magazine articles on various aspects of the topic. Time will tell.

Anyway, I'm still typing one hour or more each weekday and will see where I go with that.

Happy writing to all!

Paty Jager said...

Congrats on hunkering in, Alice!

We went to Princeton last night came back this evening. I'd planned to write on the drive, which I did on the way there, but we came a different way home and got a Christmas tree, so I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped.

My goal is the same for the end of December as it was the end of November- finish the WIP I'm working on.

Genene I understand the promotion push! Ai yi yi! You're doing awesome things.
Barb way to keep pushing to get things accomplished.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Sorry, Alice! I disappeared on you too! The enticement of the sunshine was just too much of a temptation. :)

I dealt with the leaves in the front yard that my neighbors so kindly blew into three huge piles several weeks ago. They didn't say they were getting tired of the leaves blowing all over the neighborhood, but...

Now the front yard looks spiffy. However, the back looks like a junkyard with all the stuff we've torn out while working on house projects. Ay-yi-yi! Good thing it's behind a six-foot tall fence. Anyone need scrap wood to burn? We have a really big pile of it.

Alice, now that I think about it, you're right about "typical" romances. What the heck is typical? Kinda like defining "normal." So many variables!

Glad you like the title of my novella. I usually cycle through a dozen or more titles, but this one came pretty easily. :)

Barbara, great job on your nonfiction book and on establishing a writing habit! And whether or not you rewrite the book, I think magazine articles are a wonderful idea for this topic. Keep going!

Thanks for the encouragement on promotion, Paty. We have to believe that every little thing we do sells books, don't we? Glad you got some more done on your WIP and got a Christmas tree! My son, grandson and I put up a few decorations tonight, but the tree will have to wait until after release day--or until we clear out a space to put it. LOL!

Hope everyone is productive in writing as well as taking the time to enjoy the holidays!

Alice Sharpe said...

Barbara, congratulations, that's quite an accomplishment. Good to see you're keeping an open mind about what you can do with your material. I read once that a non fiction writer can take different angles on the same research and come up with different markets which is what you seem to be thinking about.

Paty, the thought you can write on a drive always astounds me (and makes me envious.) I hope you're able to meet your goals.

It's Sunday now and my modest goal is to hit pg. 60 before I leave to see my mother and then maybe add a few more later today. hey! It could happen...

Karen Duvall said...

I officially have mush-brain caused by lack of sleep, so little progress is being made on the WIP. The puppy is a handful! I'm dead-set on having her house-trained the right way, so that means frequent trips outside several times a night, and then trying to fall back to sleep through yips and yowls from a baby dog. Sigh.

I'm almost finished with chapter 15, so that's my goal for today. Hubby's home, so he can help with the pup while I try to regain some sanity.

Congrats on everyone else's progress.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Gosh, Alice, it didn't take long for you to get back in the saddle--I mean, back in the computer chair. You are amazing!

LOL, Karen! Glad you're enjoying your new fur baby. :)