Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Death Of A Good Book

My DH asked me to make a list of things I wanted for Christmas. At the top of that list was a book by one of my favorite authors - a book that was just released in late November. Normally, I'm right on something like that, buying a new release right away, but this time, I didn't. I hadn't picked it up yet simply because I couldn't find it at Wal-Mart or Target or Borders, the few stores I frequent these days. And since the DH asked for this list three days before Christmas (yeah, he's a guy, does his shopping last minute), I was sure I wouldn't find it under my tree.

Turns out, I was wrong, and the book I'd been eagerly anticipating was wrapped up nice and neat on Christmas morning. I was shocked. And the DH - though he was happy he got me something I wanted - was probably less than thrilled. You see, my wonderful hubby learned long ago not to buy books for me for Christmas because the first thing I do with a book is read it. Well, isn't that what you do with a book, you ask? The answer - of course - is yes, but I'm not talking about cracking the thing open and reading a chapter or two between Christmas visits. No, the obsessive-compulsive side of Elisabeth has to read the whole damn thing, start to finish, usually in one sitting if she can manage it. And though this smart man knew this about his wife, still he bought me the book.

It's a sick obsession, really - one my husband is regretfully aware of - my inability to start something and not finish it no matter how good or bad it may be. There are really few books I don't finish, and although I know it's not productive, I can't seem to stop doing this. If it's a good book, I'm dying to see what happens next. If it's a mediocre book, I read and compare my writing to that of some unknown published author (or well-known, in some cases). And if it's a bad book, well, I still read it, usually because inside I'm thinking, this haaaaas to get better. Unfortunately, sometimes that just doesn't happen. In that case, it's like waiting for a a train wreck you know is coming but are unable to stop. To coin a phrase Karen used yesterday, WTF? still doesn't make me stop reading.

So I got this book - one I'd resigned myself to reading later because I was sure I wouldn't get it. I was elated when I opened the package and saw the cover, showered my DH with kisses and was flabergasted he'd found it for me when I couldn't. I immediately cracked it open and started reading. You see, this book is fifth in a series I've been following. Book one was pretty good - I had a few issues with it, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Book two drew me right in - loved the characters. Book three was my all-time fav by this author and after reading it, decided she's on my auto buy list from now on. It was that good. Book four was okay - not as great as three, but I liked it regardless, and really, they can't all be classics, right? I know that. But book five? The one I'd been waiting for with bated breath? Sure from talking to this author at Nationals and reading her excerpts and basically stalking her, that it would be similar to book three...the one I loved so much? Gah. Big time let down.

Of course I read it. And of course I finished it (I couldn't NOT finish it, since that's my sick and twisted obsession). And though there were some things I really liked about it (like a great external conflict, a heroine I totally related to, and wonderful descriptions of a country I've never visited), there was a lot of stuff that just bugged me to no end.

When I finished - a day later - and the DH asked me if it was as good as I expected, I couldn't help but think about the books I love and the ones I don't, and what the major differences are between them. For me, it all boils down to characterization. If I love the characters, I can get around anything in the plot, even events or turning points that seem contrived or forced or even lame in some cases. But if there's something about the characters that bug me, odds are I won't like the book, no matter how stellar the plot may be.

I have other pet-peeves when it comes to my fiction, among which are:

  • Juvenile characters. Their actions might be honorable, but if their internals are screwed up, they just don't fly with me.
  • Hooks that go nowhere. Ones that get me invested in the characters and then fizzle out when the real plot starts. Feels like bait-and-switch to me.
  • Characters in an RS who stop to have sex when they're working on a life-and-death timeline or are being chased by the bad guys.
  • Wishy-washy characters who can't make up their minds what they want.
  • Too-Stupid-To-Live (TSTL) heroines who knowingly go out into the dark of night alone, when a stalker is hunting them.

What's interesting when I look back at my pet-peeves list is that all of the things that bother me center around characterization. Even the bait-and-switch hook, because usually, in that case, there's something about the character(s) I love, and for whatever reason, the author changes it to push the plot along.

When I brainstorm with other authors, it seems the major focus is on plot - on creating new and exciting plots with twists and turns unlike those written by other writers. Of course, books need good plots, but with poor characterization, even the best books fall flat.

Book six of this series comes out next summer, and yes, I'll probably buy it, and yes, I'll probably read it in a day or two as is my pattern. But the eager excitement I felt anticipating book five is gone, and I know not to get my hopes up with the next one.

What kills a book for you? What are your pet peeves when reading? And as a writer, how do you avoid those particular follies in your own work?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry the book you got for Christmas turned out so icky. It's always so disappointing when that happens.

My pet-peeves are the bait and switch hooks you mentioned. I've had a really hard time this year finding time to get to my TBR pile, and when I go pick one up and it sucks, well, I get really angry. I mean, I've only got so much time and to waste it on a crappy book, well, it ain't gonna happen.

One that ticked me off the most though was "Your Planet Or Mine", I was so excited to read that book, because the back blurb made it sound like something completely different. I couldn't believe how stupid that book turned out to be in the first couple of chapters, and I had looked so forward to reading it. Talk about disappointing. There were a lot of disappointing books this year, way more than good ones.

I'm not one to finish a book that sucks either. I just don't have the patience or time to waste on it. I'll give it a few chapters, and sometimes even a couple more after I realize it's going to suck, but I refuse to finish one that's obviously going nowhere.

Not to kiss your ass or anything, LOL, but I have to tell you, your book "Make Me Believe" is the best one I've read in a very long time. Like you said, characterization is everything. I don't care about plot most of the time, but the characters have to be someone I can relate to and fall in love with, if that doesn't happen, then I shut the book and get rid of it. It goes against my whole "Feng Shui" thing to keep reading or keep the book on my shelf. Your book "Make Me Believe" had characters I totally fell in love with and they were exciting, fun, sassy, believable characters. I totally understood where they were coming from and where they wanted to go but needed each other to get there. It was a treat to read about them. All characters need to have spark and life, yours always do. So keep that up and someday a bright editor will recognize your talent and pick up your books. Until then, we have to wait for one that has a brain and personality. Uh, the waiting sucks.

I have so many books on my TBR pile right now and I'm hoping to get to at least some of them this year, in-between other crap I have to accomplish. Hopefully this year of reading will be better than last year. I mean, what are the publishers thinking?!!! They need some new blood out there in editor land. Oops, did I just slam editors and publishers all across the board? I'm just sick of what's been published lately and what gets passed up by them. I don't care about "the market", I care about a damn good story, screw the "market", give me intelligent writing. (Ugh, Piper rolls her eyes in frustration.)

I don't mind heroines that are too stupid to live though, they can be a lot of fun. Older historical novels are full of these characters and I love them.

Being an editor has been a lot of fun and I've learned so much, but it's also made me more aware and cynical in my reading. I now see things from such a different perspective that I almost can't enjoy reading a book full of mistakes. How do those editors at the "Big Houses" let this crap slide by and get pubbed? Am I still bitching about this? Sorry. I'm hoping to have an attitude adjustment this year. :)

My own writing is affected by my picky attitude too. I don't know that I avoid follies as you said, I think I've just avoided writing altogether, so that's going to change this year too. I'm giving myself a swift kick in the ass. LOL

On another note...There have been so many great posts the last few weeks girlies, and I haven't taken the time to comment on them, but I'm really learning a lot. Great blog post today Eli, and kudos to all you other posters. I promise your posts are very helpful, even if I haven't said so to you personally.

Thanks everyone for sharing your hopes, dreams and wisdom! I wish you the best for your writing this year! May 2007 be the best yet.

chanceofbooks said...

Oooh neat post ELi--your top 10 post of books has me trying to do my own list. I estimate I read somewhere around 300 books in 2006. Like you, I have this NEED to finish the book no matter how horrid it is. If I make it past chapter two, I'm finishing the thing--but the difference between a good book, a great book, and a bad book for me is how much skipping around/skimming I do.

A great book I do no skimming, no reading ahead and flipping back, and re-read favorite parts immediately upon finishing. A good book I do no skimming, but may jump ahead and jump back, and book is fairly quickly forgotten. A bad book gets a lot of skimming, skipping, and one-way ticket for the donation pile.

My pet peeves have changed over the years. Once I became a married woman, completely impossible (anatomically/gravitationally) love scenes started to irk me more--if I have to stop and wonder if the author has done the deed, that ruins it for me. When I was in HS, the idea of meeting someone and falling madly in love in 24 or 48 hours seemed like the best thing ever, but now these plots drive me bonkers and if there's no epilogue, I often feel really let down--like I *know* they haven't even BEGUN to fight.

Pre-law school, I didn't read a whole lot of books with legal plotlines, but those I did read, I never cared about detail. Now, I care about detail. Lack of research can kill a book for me--not just legal details/police procedure, but historical detail as well--If I'm ignorant about the subject I don't notice it, but if it's something that I've got a background it, it really bugs me.

It's funny what's changed for me since writing. I'm not sure if I ever paid attention to POV before--but now head hopping is one of the number one things that ruins a book for me. I hate having to back up and see who's speaking, or try to fill in logic gaps. I've always disliked backstory and info dumps, but now I understand more why that is.

I like a fast paced plot with a lot of good banter and dialog. I'll forgive any multitude of sins if those ingredients are there.

*Knowing* pet peeves is way easier than actually applying them. But, I'm working on pacing to eliminate the pet peeves I have with other draggy books.

It's funny how most of your pet peeves are character and most of mine are plot--I think it's because I see plot as the more fixable part of the equation. If I don't like the characters, I'm not reading any more by that author regardless of how tightly plotted the book is, but the hardest thing for me as a reader is to see good characters trapped in poor pacing and hidden under bad dialog and info dumping.

Alice Sharpe said...

Eli--Good post.

I agree, it's the characters that draw me in and keep me reading. I have a few favorite authors, many with continuing characters because that's my weak spot. It's like going to have tea with an old friend who has an exciting new story to tell you. If I get interested in such a character, I will read every book in the series, good bad or indifferent.

I liked your list of pet peeves. In fact, I'm going to print it out and put it up on my bulletin board so I can remind myself not to do those things. I agree with all of them.

Delores Fossen, another Intrigue writer, said something last year that really stuck with me and that was this: make sure your books are entertaining. Make sure they're fun.

What a concept! But it's true, isn't it? So I would add to your list of peeves, humor that isn't funny, RS that isn't scary or thrilling, etc...

Making characters your readers love and respond to is magical. I don't know how you do it, just that some people do it well and others don't. I would be interested in hearing what the secret is. Likable? Not always, but I guess sympathetic. Decent, perhaps, with worthy goals and admirable intelligence. Humor, esp. in a man, a past that they conquer--all that, I guess.

Thanks for a thought provoking blog, you little obsessive writer/reader you!

Alice

Alice Sharpe said...

Piper--WOW girl, you came out of the lurking closet you've been in for the past few weeks with a bang and it is so fun to "hear" you again, imagine those rolling eyes, smile and LOL at the attitude. ATTITUDE, rather. Love it. Good to have you back. Don't go away again.

Alice

Karen Duvall said...

Eli, that's happened to me before, too, only I'm not a loyal reader like you are. I haven't given up on this author's books completely, I just haven't felt compelled to keep up with them. Sherrilyn Kenyon knocked me out with her dark hunter series and I couldn't get enough! Then the one book came along that ended my feast. The pace was soooo slooow and the setting was about as boring as you can get -- the hero and heroine were stranded and snow-bound most of the time. AND the conflicts became repetitive with the hero's backstory flashing in and out to provide the much needed tension. Unlike you, I got halfway through and just couldn't finish it.

I was a huge fan of Laurel K Hamilton's Anita Blake series and devoured the first 8 books, stumbled through book 9, bought book 10 hoping the author would get a clue but I never finished it because apparently her clue gun was empty.

I'm with Becky on the issue of wasted time reading crap. Plus I'm a slow reader, which doesn't help. I've taken to listening to books more than I read them mainly because my time is so limited. Oh the joys of multi-tasking.

Pet peeves... I can't stand books that move slow, and that's usually due to a thin plot. I also have a problem with characters who don't change. They may be plenty likeable from the very beginning, but if the events of the story don't have the emotional impact necessary for character growth, I consider the book a failure.

Right now I'm reading Jim Butcher's DEAD BEAT. It's okay, but not riveting. I want riveting, but I'll probably finish it. His characters are so wonderful that it's worth making it all the way through to the end.

Karen

Elisabeth Naughton said...

ROFL, Piper. You made my day. :) Thanks for the plug. I have a huge TBR pile, too, and while I'm a fast reader, I'm being picky because I don't want to be let down again.

Glad to have you back in the blogosphere!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

After reading your response, Wavy, I have to ammend my earlier comment about reading all books start to finish...if the craft isn't there - ie so much head hopping I can't tell who's talking or it's clear the author doesn't have a handle on dialogue or pacing or basic sentence structure, then I won't keep reading. But - most published books are at least readable, and thus I usually keep reading.

And you're right...pacing is a huge contributor to whether or not I like a book.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Alice - love the comment about keeping your books fun. And that's one I'm going to print out and hang on to.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Good points, Karen. I don't have to like a character at the beginning, but something they do or say has to keep me reading. However, I completely expect that non-likeable character to change during the course of the book, and if they don't, then the author hasn't done their job.

And Alice, I forgot to mention in my reply to you that one of the reasons I'll keep reading this series is for the recurring characters. In fact, that was one of the things that kept me going with this last book - revisiting past main characters (esp. the ones from book three who had a pretty big role in this book).

Roxanne St. Claire recently commented on a blog I visit that only when she started writing her Bulletcatcher Series did her numbers start to skyrocket. Readers love connected or series books, and they'll keep reading and buying "the next one" even if they aren't wild about the latest release.

Alice Sharpe said...

"Readers love connected or series books, and they'll keep reading and buying "the next one" even if they aren't wild about the latest release."

Bless their hearts! (and mine, too, I'm a big sucker when it comes to this.)

BTW, Piper's glowing recommendation of your book, Eli, has me wanting to read it. Is it the one currently making the rounds with the agent?

Alice

chanceofbooks said...

I love series books too. But more than two off books in a row, and I usually drop the series. I have a similar rule with TV series. One bad episode? I'll keep watching. Four bad in a row? You're on probation. Eight bad episodes (2 DVD's) in a row--suspension, onto the next show addiction. Sex in the City, Six Feet Under, The Pretender, L word, Charmed--I'm sure your later episodes may have been great, but you lost me with bad strings of episodes. Ditto several NYT bestsellers whose later books didn't deliver for me.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Yes, Alice, same book.

I was going to say, "Dang, too bad Piper isn't an editor" and then I realized I needed to amend that to, "Too bad she isn't one of the editors reading it right now." LOL

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Wow, Wavy. You're easy! Eight bad episodes before you throw in the towel? I'm lucky if I go back after two.

I used to like to watch Las Vegas on Friday nights (okay, okay, okay...I know. Little substance but definitely some nice eye candy there). However, I watched the season premiere this year and haven't watched it again. Granted, I don't watch a lot of TV, but still.

DH is on a Bones (Fox) kick lately. I've watched it a few times with him, and while I like it - and the science aspect of it - it's too similar to the X-Files characters for me (Male FBI agent, female scientist, working together to solve strange crimes) to really get into it.

*Sigh* I miss X-Files. Now that's a show I'd watch whether they were good or bad episodes.

Paty Jager said...

Okay - just how many times am I going to write this! Third times a charm - I hope!

I will not continue to read a book if the characters don't grab me and hold me. I will give a book a little longer if I don't like the characters if I'm intrigued by the plot/premise.

I like series and will give the author one bad book, but more than that I generally don't pick up the next book.

To avoid having my books thrown across the room, I try to make likable characters and keep the story moving.

A pet peeve is a slow paced book. I want to be entertained when I read and enjoy the book, turning the pages until the end. If I put a book down and am not compelled to pick it up or the characters aren't in my head when I'm not reading it, then it has captured me completely.

Danita Cahill said...

I read slow. Savor every word. Try to figure out why a scene is working, why it isn't. I don't have a lot of time to read either, so unlike you, Eli, if a book doesn't hold my interest, I quit reading it pronto, and get rid of it.

I know it's a good book if it makes me turn pages quickly, forgetting to analyze every line.

Turn offs are: lame characters. Characters -- namely heros -- who are too bossy to the heroines. It makes me lose interest in both of them. A book that I have to go back to the previous chapter more than once to figure out what the hell is supposed to be going on. Incorrect facts, lack of research.

And my turn ons are: hot men, bubble baths, puppies, sunset and chocolate. Ha.

Anonymous said...

Danita-- Your "turn ons" comment was too funny! I knew you'd be chiming in late so I went back through the posts to see what your comments and advice are.