Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Genres Outside of Romance

I've been trying to read more, thanks to Wavy, who made me feel inadequate as a reader and a writer because I'd only read about 5 books last year. :)

The problem - Finding a book that holds my attention. I don't have the time to waste on a book that doesn't draw me in and keep me. Life is too short to wait for a book to get interesting. I started a Harlequin Contemporary and gave it 30 pages. I didn't feel a thing for either of the main characters and the setting and plot did nothing for me, so I put it to the side. I was given a mainstream book for Christmas. I thought, what the heck, it would do me some good to go outside the romance genre. That book was so confusing! I don’t know how the author could have made any bestseller list! When she did stay in one POV it was hard to decide if it was present or backstory and then there were half pages in other people's POV and I just didn’t come to feel anything for anyone. So I ditched it as well. As I get back into my Native American spirit trilogy I find myself reading non-fiction books and myths and legends. Some of these are fiction and don't start out with a bang, but they are keeping my attention because I am gleaning information for what I am working on.

I recently attended a local writer's group(and joined). It is made up of poets, fiction, and non-fiction writers, who write novel length, short stories, and magazine articles. While it is a wide range of writers, they all have the same things in common - a need to know the craft of writing and how to be productive. So in essence, all writers need to have the same skills.

However, this is a timely blog. I started this topic about other genres and then had a conversation with a writer who has been struggling with wondering if she wants to write romance. She is a writer, a darn good one, but she felt romance had too many rules, and she wasn't into writing romance. I suggested she try mainstream. There are a whole lot of categories a writer can write for. They don’t have to stay within one if they don't feel it is a fit. I decided to check and see what all I could find. Here's the list:

Romance (of course) and all it's subgenres.

Then there are these which may have a smattering of romance, but it isn't the crux of the story.

Literature

Mystery

Thriller

Science Fiction

Fantasy

Historical

Westerns

Inspirational

Mainstream

Most of these are self explanatory. Mainstream is anything that doesn't fit into the above mentioned categories. Like the book I was reading and put down. It was about two girls from two different social classes and how they became friends and about their relationships growing up.

I was with a mystery writers group briefly years ago when I was going to be the next Sue Grafton. They too had somewhat of a formula for their books. But they were not nearly as kind to upcoming writers as Romance writers. I ditched them and the rest is history.

The main thing with writing is to find what you want to write, then research the area to make sure you know what that particular industry is looking for, and put your best words forward.

Do you as a romance writer find it hard to read mainstream fiction because they don't seem to follow any rules on POV or even a kind of structure to their books? It's been a while since I read a mainstream book, so this may be an exception, but I’m thinking not.

8 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I don't read a lot of mainstream simply because it doesn't hold my interest. I do read mysteries and thrillers now and then though, and I enjoy a good suspense when done well.

chanceofbooks said...

I read everything (but you knew that). However, the bulk of what I read is romance--this is how I know I'm writing for the right genre.

A mystery without a romance just seems kinda flat to me. My mother (who adores Cozies) tried to get me onto the Cat Who books, but the cute cats only captured my attention for so long before I really wanted more of Quill and his librarian. Even the series that HAVE romance--I find myself craving that happy ending.

I find the rules of romance kind of reassuring actually--both as a reader and a writer. I like knowing that the hero isn't suddenly going to cheat or die in the final pages. I do read a fair amount of literary fiction/mainstream--but I find without the romance and structure, the plot and characters have to be exceptionally strong to hold my interest. The Mermaid Chair, Blessings, The Cheer Leader are all mainstream books that I've read recently and enjoyed.

A single narrator for the entire book has to be really compelling to carry the book--but some people simply write better in that format.

I think you know if you should explore some other genre by the little snipets of ideas that come to you---do you keep imagining alien beings or war stories or a compelling PI? Where do your digressions and sidelines take you--are you really more interested in exploring your character's relationship with her mother/sister/friend? Is the romance bogging down your story? I don't think RWA membership should restrict a writer from discovering that the book of her heart is a fantasy-maintstream about mothers and daughters-with a dead body thrown in--and not a lick of romance. You;ve got to be willing to leap :)

Paty Jager said...

Eli, I don't read much mainstream either, but felt compelled to read the one given to me and - yuck. Didn't do a thing for me.

Wavy- At one point I read a lot of the Cat Who books. And I found them lacking for the same reason. Come on Quill, he wasn't dead so he needed to make a move to be a real man. They became boring to me.

I think anyone who has ever read a romance or two has to be captured by the plight that brings the two together and HEA at the end.

Karen Duvall said...

I don't read enough either, Paty, and found myself "reading" mostly audio books last year. 8^) I've discovered some fabulous authors that way. I listened to all the Harry Potter books and never read a word of them. Ha!

I don't read much romance, to be honest. I really don't care for the "sweet" ones where the hero and heroine are so focused on each other that there is no external story to hold my interest. But I love reading books that feature a romance as a subplot. I enjoy books that are character driven and based on relationships of some kind, whether it be romantic, friendship, or family. Without that, the story fails in my mind.

I rarely read books written by men because guys just don't seem to get the emotional value of a good story. That's not true for all, but most, IMO. Exceptions are Clive Barker (fabulous!) and Patrick Conroy (love his stuff!). Those are my two favorite guy writers. I really like Dean Koontz, too, just not as much.

Mainstream fiction just means fiction that is widely read by a general audience. Stephen King is considered a mainstream author because his books are read by everyone, not just horror fans. Some would consider Nora Roberts a mainstream author because her books aren't read by romance readers only. Someone who says Nora is their favorite author may also say they don't read romance. Yeah, I know. Those folks needs a good whack with the clue stick.

Sue Miller, Alice Hoffman, Margaret Atwood, Fannie Flag, and Billie Letts are all my favorite "mainstream" authors. They're also authors of general fiction, which is the category I think you were trying to describe, Paty. They're also considered literary authors, yet everything I've read has been highly commercial. Who didn't love the movie Fried Green Tomatoes? How about Where The Heart is? All based on Flag's books.

Some of us read for the emotional value, others for dramatic impact, and some for just the way it makes you feel as you read it, like poetry. I don't like poetry, but I do enjoy a "coherent" literary book now and again. BTW, don't ever read The Book of Ruth. It will give you nightmares like no horror story ever could.

My favorite genre is urban fantasy, or contemporary fantasy. I have a thing for "the fantastic." But I'm a sucker for an excellent book regardless of genre.

Karen

Danita Cahill said...

I think you hit the nail on the head, Paty, when you said romance writers were kinder than maybe other types of writers, which is why I joined RWA and our chapter. I like the people, many of them are excited about writing, and serious about it. But we don't all write or read romance. And that's okay.

I read constantly. But slowly. I often read two or more novels at the same time, along with at least one how-to writing book and maybe a nonfiction book or two. I think it's because I get bored easily. Anyway, I'm just weird that way. I read all sorts of things: mysteries, suspense, horror, humor, literary novels, mainstream. I don't care what it is, as long as it's a good book and holds my interest.

I know what you mean about a book really hooking you to hold you. A couple years ago when I was working on my first novel, nothing would hold my attention. It was frustrating. I dont' know how many books I picked up, started, tossed aside.

Looking back, I think it was just that other people's writing was distracting for me because I was so wrapped up in my own project. Because since then I've read, and enjoyed, some of those books I tossed aside.

As for Wavy and her voracious reading appetite. My hat's off to her. Whew!

And although, as I've said, I usually only choose to read straight romance if it's written by someone I know, I do want at least a thread of romance in nearly every book I read.

After all, without love, what is there?

Paty Jager said...

See I knew someone would correct me. So mainstream is all I mentioned and general is what I thought was mainstream?? See that's why I write romance, I know what it is! LOL

Wow, Danita! I have trouble staying in one book at a time let alone different ones! My hat's off to you!

I read Susan Wigg's "Summer at Willow Lake". And while the H/H got together in the end, with all the subplots it felt more mainstream to me then straight romance.

It sounds like I need to stretch my reading mind.

Anonymous said...

I found that once I began reading romance every other genre was ruined for me. I now expect my happy ending and for the book to focus on the two main characters.

The exception to my romance only rule is that I love to read nonfiction, especially history books. Sometimes at work or when I'm out I will bring a textbook of English history to read. Many times people come up and ask what class it is for. When I tell them that it is for pleasure reading I get some strange looks before they quickly run away :)

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

I pretty much read straight romance because I have to have the Happily Ever After.

When I started reading romance as an adult, I didn't realize that they all had HEA's, so I would read a bit of the book, get worried, then go to the end and make sure that it was going to end "right". If it was HEA, I'd keep reading. LOL What a dork. But I didn't know then there was a "formula". My husband used to roll his eyes at me and ask why I always read the ending first, I just couldn't stand to read a whole book and have it end bad, like that stupid ass movie Sommersby. I've been wary of endings since that movie ended WRONG! LOL

I love the romance genre because it's trustworthy. I read to be uplifted and entertained, not so I can be depressed because someone dies in the end who should have lived, or whatever. :)

Good Post Paty! Now I have to come up with something for tomorrow. How does my turn get here so fast? LOL