Thursday, September 24, 2009

SETTING THE SCENE

Posted by: Genene Valleau
Current Project: Nine-book LEGACY series

Status: Developing scene sheets for each book

By popular demand--well, at a request from two people--I'm blogging about the scene sheets I use to help plot stories.

For those who don't know my writing style, I do a lot of detailed plotting on my stories. I think this is going to be especially beneficial for the series of nine books I'm working on. These will be stand-alone books that are tied together with a subplot that runs through all the books as well as characters that appear in all nine books.

The scene sheets I use are an adapted version of one I ran across in a workshop years ago that I tweak as each project develops. The information on the scene worksheet includes:
--Purpose of the scene. This comes from another worksheet I use (12 steps to Happily Ever After) to rough out the character arcs of the hero and heroine, as well as the development of the romance and the plot of the book.
--Point of view character. Who has the biggest stake in the scene.
--Characters in the scene and their relationships.
--Setting the scene. This includes notes on the location, time of day, season of the year, the overall tone of the scene, as well as sounds or smells or any particular symbols or images.
--Opening line or hook of the scene. (Many times I won't do this until final edits.)
--Action and dialogue. This is the "meat" of the scene.
--Ending hook of the scene. (Again, I may not do this until final edits.)

These scene sheets also keep me on track for the length of the book. For instance, each book in my nine-book series will be approximately 75,000 words or 300 pages. That's 15 chapters of 20 pages each with three scenes per chapter, or 60 scenes for each book.

Though this process may seem detailed, for me it's simply a guideline for the actual writing, which always brings new revelations, details and surprises.

We've talked about writing styles--plotter or pantster or somewhere in between--in previous blog posts. I don't know if we've touched on worksheets. Do you use worksheets in the process of writing your stories? Or do worksheets fall under the topic of devil's taskmaster that ruins telling the story? :)

P.S. My apologies for no graphic this time--Blogger wasn't letting me upload an image.

9 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Genene, I always marvel at your intricate plotting of your books. I'm an in between writer. I spend a lot of time discovering the characters in my head, then I write up a bio on them and use the conflict grid from Story Magic to flesh out the story. I know where I want to start the story when I begin writing and I know what my ending needs to be, but I don't plot out each scene or each chapter. The chapter ends where it feels right and the POV person is the one who feels right at the time I write the first draft. It may end up different in the next draft, but I don't spend time hashing it out before hand. I go with what feels right the first time I put the story on paper.

It is amazing how we all do things so differently yet come up with a 300+ page story that makes sense.

Deborah Wright said...

Wow, Genene. I'm still in awe of the fact that you're planning out a 9 book series! I can see that with a project of this scope that you'd want to be able to keep track of all the details.

I'm still learning my process, to be honest. I used to think that I'd work more like you do--plan everything out before hand. I'm learning that I don't particularly like to know too much before I start to write. How much is too much is the question.

You asked about worksheets. I have a book that I bought several years ago called The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing by Evan Marshall. He has detailed worksheets in the book that sound very similar to what you're using. I've used them, but I'm not planning my current book with them. This time I'm thinking about using them after the first draft is complete -- to analyze it before editing.

Paty -- I agree, it is amazing how we all approach writing a bit differently. I love hearing how everyone works!

Alice Sharpe said...

Genene, I, too, am in awe of nine interconnected books. Yikes. I can see why careful plotting is necessary and have total confidence you'll pull it off. I think it's wonderful that you can uncover this much detail before you write and still find the twists and turns that make the act of writing enjoyable. That takes skill. I know people who never write a synopsis claim that writing one ruins the fun -- well, maybe it does for them. For me, it's not an option, it's a reality of the business, and I have learned that being able to tell an editor how the story will unfold doesn't kill the spontaneity in the least. So, I imagine that's just like you feel about your process. You know where the you have free run, you know when to stick to the game plan, and you know when to modify.

Surprise, surprise, I can't do it your way although as I struggle with what comes when as I do write, I wish I could. Like Paty, I decide view point, scenes and hooks as I go, tweaking constantly. There is sometimes a lot of going back in and writing a scene I left out because I didn't plot carefully enough, but that seems to be my process. Efficient? No, just the way it is.

Thanks for sharing.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

This is so true, Paty: "It is amazing how we all do things so differently yet come up with a 300+ page story that makes sense."

I rediscovered the conflict grid from Story Magic when I was looking for the scene sheets on my computer. I'll probably use it with my current project also.

I also find that the process of writing each book is a bit different each time. With the series, I'm sure there will be a whole lotta plotting beforehand!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Debbie!

I remember trying to discover "my" process too. It was frustrating at times because every writer seems to do it differently and I wanted a hard and fast answer. Should have known that I'd end up being a plotter. :)

I'll have to check out Evan Marshall's worksheets. I'm sure there's something I can adapt to my fanatical plotting process!

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hi, Alice! You weren't the first commenter today. :)

Had to chuckle that you wished you could be more of a plotter. Your process obviously works very well for you!

I'm not sure plotting is more efficient, as I usually get about three-quarters through a book, then go back and replot because things have changed and I need to make sure all the threads are wrapped up.

Perhaps creativity isn't meant to be efficient. Much of the joy is in discovering, whether we meander as we create or plot a pathway and then take the side roads as the temptation arises.

chanceofbooks said...

Thank you so much for sharing Genene! I love this idea!

chanceofbooks said...

Paty,

I'd love to know more about the conflict grid. I know I've seen this one before, but it has been awhile.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Thanks, Bethany. Glad you enjoyed it!