Wednesday, September 02, 2009

There Will Always Be Something . . .

Current Project: NMMNG
Status: Outlining

I had a different post for today all about back story, but I had a different kind of day today than I planned. A friend lost her baby at 26/27 weeks gestation, and my day was spent trying to figure out how to support her family. I had my brother here, and I had high hopes of sneaking some writing in while the hurricane was occupied. Three months ago, a different friend lost a child, and I lost my writing momentum for weeks. A few weeks ago, my dad was sick, and I had to fight against the tidal wave of procrastination that threatened to capsize my meager WIP. I am the Queen of the "It's Always Something" excuse club. I didn't write for most of my pregnancy, and then I had a newborn, and then toddlerhood was hard, and I have all these classes to teach. . . .

It will ALWAYS be something.

This hit me a few weeks ago when my Dad became ill, and I realized that there will always be things more pressing than writing. Life is not going to slow down and hand me time to write. If not a demanding toddler, it will a new baby, an ill parent, a death in the family, or a friend's tragedy. I see Alice with her mother, Genene with her son, Eli with her illness, Lisa with her school, Debbie with her job uncertainty, Paty with the six zillion hats she wears, and I am continually inspired by the way that you all keep going in the face of adversity.

The easy choice is always to turn away from the blinking cursor. It is easy to do the "selfless" thing and put others first. There are only 24 hours in a day, and none of them are programmed to throw a quill at you and shout, "GET WRITING! THIS IS YOUR CHANCE!" Instead, there are phone calls to make, anxiety to beat back, lunches to prepare, noses to wipe, conversations to have, and there is always just one more thing that you could do. It is easy to fall into bed and think, "Tomorrow. Tomorrow, I will write."

Except, what happens when tomorrow ISN'T any better? And the day after that? We have a family joke about my father and a rubbish pile in the garden. "When are you going to burn that, Dad?" It was too windy. There wasn't enough wind. It was too sunny. It was too rainy. It looked like it *could* rain. It looked like it wouldn't rain soon enough. He had better things to do. He had nothing to do, so he needed a nap. He lost his matches. He had matches but couldn't find the hose in case he needed water. He didn't have a chair to sit on to watch the fire. If we were going to have a fire, we should have marshmallows and hot dogs, but we had none. This went on for YEARS. And then, one day, my mother went out, lit the pile, and 15 minutes later, there was only ashes instead of a pile of excuses.

Writing is my rubbish pile--the task I keep putting off, waiting for an ideal moment. Lately though, I've been talking back to that voice in my head. What would a perfect moment look like? Clean house, accomplished to-do list, bills paid, work caught up, rested, fed, and toddler on a five hour nap? Sure. And I'll dedicate my first sale to the flying pigs I just saw. There will always be something. And just as surely, I will always pine for more writing time.

It is not in my nature to write productively through pain. I have so much other stuff churning around in my head that it is easy to let writing slip. But, in the last year, I've been working on changing that mentality. I don't want to be hobby writer. I'm not sure if I've written that out before, but there it is. Leaving aside all doubts about my talent and my voice, I want to be a paid writer. And that means being able to produce in the face of distractions. I teach my classes when I would rather not. I read stories, assemble puzzles, and prepare lunch when I would rather not. I clean . . . okay. Bad example. But, I AM capable of doing stuff when distracted.

The key for me is making writing one of those things that I do no matter what. I am working on acknowledging to myself that, yes, this bad thing happens, and my heart breaks, and I do what I can to make the situation better, but I still write. And that doesn't make me a bad or callous person. Especially in light of my friend's tragedy, the temptation is so strong to bring everything to a screeching halt and simply rail against the universe and all its injustices and not resurface for weeks or months. I feel like a bad person for writing when someone I love is hurting or when I put things off to write. It sucks when I can't make things better or take away a love one's pain, and so I feel really guilty when I write instead of X million other things that I could do.

So, to deal with that, I'm starting a list. I call it my dedication list. Each time I feel guilty about choices I make, I add a line to my dedication page:

To the budgets I could be writing, to the cakes I could be making, to the "Little Bear" videos I have playing, to the dishes spilling over, the laundry exploding, to the husbands I'm neglecting, to the wallowing I'm not doing, this book is for you. To my father, to my friend C and her daughter, to my friend D and her daughter, I honor you with this book. If I had a beer, I'd raise it, and if I had a hat, I'd tip it, but I have a pen, so I'm writing.

What would your list look like? Has it been a struggle for you to make writing a priority in your life?

8 comments:

Paty Jager said...

Bethany, I know where you're coming from. I'm lucky that I am in a place in my life where I don't have little ones depending on me any more, school teachers expecting me to help in the classroom, and an ailing mother. Those days are behind me. But at that time in my life, I did what Danita is doing- I wrote small stories for the local newspapers. They were easier. And worked on a novel when I could fit it in my schedule. As the kids grew and they needed me less and less, I devoted more and more time to my writing. But I also had to do a much sharper learning curve than you. You have a wonderful background in writing and books, I have had to immerse myself in learning the craft of writing. Which makes you several steps ahead of me where I was at your age.

Right now, I have the time to devote to my writing and my family(because most of them are a long way away) ;)

My dedication list:
To my charming house that looks like a hovel, my horse that has spent more time standing in a corral than being ridden, to the pile of TBR books both in the loft and in my bedroom.

Well said post, BEthany!

Alice Sharpe said...

Bethany, once again you wrote a wonderful post. I have no idea why you are worried about your talent -- from where I sit, it's prodigious.

First off and foremost, my heart goes out to your friends who have have suffered such profound losses.

It's funny you should write about this today. I was at the doctor's office yesterday afternoon and they had country western music playing. As I waited for the results of a test (nothing serious) I tuned into the words. Darryl Worley was singing about a man sent out to find a buddy who went off the wagon. When he found him, the buddy listed all his woes -- three kids and a wife depending on him, not enough work, bills piling up. It went on this way for awhile until the singer responded, “Sounds like life to me,
it aint no fantasy
It just a common case of everyday reality
Man, I know its tough but you gotta suck it up
To hear you talk youre caught up in some tragedy
It sounds like life to me.”

I sat there for a few moments listening to the next verse and the next time the singer said, "Sounds like life to me," and I had about the same epiphany you have had. There will always be something. A house that doesn't sell. Dust deep enough to furrow and plant. Health issues, parent issues, child issues. Pets. Injuries. deadlines. My problem is not taking time to write because like Paty, I have more disposable time than you do plus I have the external validation of a contract obligation. But I do have to get over the feeling everything is supposed to be perfect with enough time for everyone, no guilt about who or what I'm neglecting, etc... because that's life.

So, I'm tipping my hat and raising a beer to you for figuring this out and for putting your writing in perspective, for acknowledging its importance in your life and that your goal to be a paid writer and not a hobby writer will take the same effort a clean house, a happy child and a satisfied classroom will take, for resolving to respect your writing and use it to honor all the wild pieces of life that are thrown at you every day and over which you have little control.

My dedication:
To guilt over never catching up. That's life.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Wow.

I think I needed to hear this today. So thank you, Bethany, for putting it out there for me and the world to read.

While I appreciate your confidence in me, I have to admit I'm not the poster child for writing in times of stress. Not anymore, at least. It's really thrown me that I have always been able to write through all the distractions you listed - family heartbreak, tragedy, kids, all the daily responsibilities - except *this* one. This summer has been the most challenging of my writing career, and even though I'm pretty much back to normal now, I'm still struggling with it. I'm not even completely sure what "it" is... maybe facing my own mortality?...but dealing with my own health issues this year has distracted me in ways I never imagined. Oh, I've been good with the professional responsibilities - promo, edits, revisions, etc - but it's the new words that seem to continually elude me. And, like you, I somehow keep telling myself, "Well, don't force yourself. You can write that tomorrow. When you're feeling better. When the house is clean, when you get back from your doctor appt, when the kids get quiet and your mom leaves for the day..."

Only...I know you're right. There's never going to be a perfect time. And if I keep searching for that right time, I'll never find it. I have a deadline. I have a wip. I also have lingering health issues (like my voice) that aren't getting better anytime soon. I have to suck it up and get over it if I want this writing gig to work.

And I do. Very much. More than just about anything. Somewhere in your post you mentioned that you're worth it - the time you take to write. You are. We all are. Doing something that makes you happy (and which you love) is always worth it.

So I'm off to finish the copy edits I put off yesterday. Then I'm opening the wip and writing SOMETHING today.

Thank you, Bethany. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend.

Lisa Leoni said...

I'm so sorry about your friend's loss. My thoughts are with you, her and her family. This was an incredible post and it hit some points with me, thank you. Your paragraph starting with: "Writing is my rubbish pile--the task I keep putting off" really hit home. Thank you for posting this!

And I'm going to copy Alice's dedication ;)

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Wonderful post, Bethany! And I'm breathing a sigh of relief that it's not my day to post tomorrow--I have another week to come up with something profound. :)

I've been fortunate that this is a light writing year during which I had already planned to focus on other pieces of my life that had been neglected while I focused on writing and promotion the previous couple of years.

Somewhere I read or heard that the pieces of our lives ebb and flow--sometimes writing is the bigger chunk and sometimes other things come to the forefront. That's the way it's been for me. I think sometimes "life" throws major events in our paths to shake us out of ruts or to test our priorities. Is this really what you want? If so, how does it fit with the other pieces of your life?

Sometimes, the events aren't major, but the day-to-day tasks that can gobble up our time even more quickly.

Love your idea of a dedication page, but darned if I can think of anything to put on mine.

(((HUGS))) to you and to your friend in her grief. Thanks for the thoughtful post!

chanceofbooks said...

Thank you all for such beautiful responses.

Alice--I know that song, and it's perfect.

Eli--health issues are so tricky because they DO spill over. It's much easier to push aside tasks than it is to manufacture energy that you don't have. When you still feel lousy, you need to make feeling better the #1 priority, closely followed by reclaiming your writing. I am forever inspired by the author of "Sea Biscuit" who wrote the book in bed.

Deborah Wright said...

Oh, Bethany, your timing is eery with this -- especially since I'd come to some very similar conclusions yesterday, but only now read your post (the day *after* you posted it). How spooky is that?

It has been more of a struggle for me this last year to make writing a priority than it ever was before, and yet at the same time, I've been more inspired to write than ever. Take about feeling pulled in polar opposite directions! My biggest excuse has been the mental paralysis I've indulged in regarding the day job. Note that word indulged. I sat myself down yesterday and was brutally honest with myself -- and that's what I realized. I'd been indulging myself with the whole, oh, boo-hoo, my career is in shambles (and by career, I'm referring to my professional, non-writing, career, aka 'the day job').

I decided yesterday, before hearing the results of the EU's decision, that no matter what happened, I was through with waiting around. And guess what? The EU issued a statement that they need more time to evaluate the buyout and they're pushing their decision off to Jan 19th. So, I could let myself stay paralyzed for 4 more months -- or I could take those 4 months and use them to finish a first draft. Guess what I'm choosing? I choose me (er, the second choice).

It isn't as if I haven't taken some positive steps this year, but it simply hasn't been enough. You're absolutely right, Bethany, there will always be distractions. The rest of what we have to do in life won't wait for those distractions, why should writing, something that's so important to me, wait either? There are so many ways that women are taught in our society to put others first, that sometimes I think that can get turned upside down and internalized into -- what I want isn't as important as the needs of others. And we don't even realize we're doing that.

I think I'm going to make the refrain from the song Alice talked about my motto: Sounds like life to me. My dedication? This is to the day job, may it rest in peace.

My condolences to you and your friend on her loss. I can't even imagine how difficult that must be to go through.

Anonymous said...

Bethany~ This is an awesome, inspiring post. It helped me to realize so many things. I didn't comment on it earlier because I had to put all my thoughts together first. And I'm not going to say much here, but it meant a lot to me to read your post.

I'm so sorry for your friends losing their precious babies and I'm sorry that you have to feel their pain, but maybe if we all take some and feel a little of it together with them, it will take a bit of it away so they will feel our love and support for them and be strengthened by it. It's so important to support and love one another in any way we can. Thanks for telling us about it so we can do our part to help our sisters on this earth. You're a good person. :)

My dedication list... To all the time I've wasted feeling guilty and insecure about not being a good enough mother, wife, friend, & human so I've put myself and my needs last.

Thanks Bethany. Your wavybrain has great waves of intellect and you said just what I needed to hear. Again. Thanks for smacking me upside the head with it. Eli's tried before, but I wasn't listening. LOL

Truly awesome post. ;)