Wednesday, March 11, 2009

TIME SINKS


Current Project: good question
Status: waiting

It doesn't happen very often that I draw a blank on blog day, but it has today. And maybe that's not such a big surprise. I am in that wasteland called waiting and boy, does it get old. Yes, I know there are things I could be doing. I have a new release out this month -- I could be hitting the blog circuit, but come on, this is me. I haven't updated my website in well over a year, so let's not get crazy. I could get a few other proposals ready to go, but inertia has reared its ugly head. Waiting to hear back on the one I already sent seems to have knocked the wind out of my sails.

I called a friend with a very tight deadline the other day and asked if she had time to talk. She admitted she did, that she was playing Spider Solitaire. When I laughed, she said she tells herself that it's good for her writing, that it uses the other side of the brain. I wasn't laughing at her, however, I was laughing with her because I have a few of those time sinks as well.

Lately, however, my time sink games have gotten into a rut and I'm on the prowl for new material. I'm not talking interactive things, here, like Twitter or surfing the web or reading countless editor blogs. I'm talking near robotic stuff that gives the creative side of my brain time to recharge. That's my story, and as they say, I'm sticking to it.

Do you have any ideas for me?

I'll post another pertinent rendition of TextTwist, my current addiction, and check back in with the answers later today.

NIIOFCT

- - -
- - -
- - -
- - -
- - -
- - -
- - -
- - -
- - -
- - -
- - -

- - - -
- - - -
- - - -
- - - -
- - - -
- - - -

- - - - -

- - - - - - -

11 comments:

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I've never played TextTwist, so you have to explain what the lines are all for.

Alice Sharpe said...

Oops. The lines are for letters, i.e., in this case, there are 11 three letter words, 6 four letter words, one five letter word and then the solution word, seven letters.

Paty Jager said...

I don't know if you want to go this far, but when I'm doing tedious things like washing windows, scrubbing the floor, or driving tractor all kinds of ideas pop into my head. Usually story ideas.

I agree, Spider Solitaire is a great way to give the creative side of your brain a rest and let it regroup.

NIIOFCT
'
FICTION
FIN
TIN
CON
FIT
NOT
COT
TON
TONIC
FONT
OFT
TIC
INC


Best I can do.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

I have no patience for this kind of thing. I got 12 total before I gave up and went looking for the answers.

BTW...there are 2-5 letter word possibilities.

Kendra said...

I like numbers. Sudoku. I'm addicted. It's not math, it's logic. You can find free puzzles online and FB has online challenges where you play against others. I'm such a nerd.

I was at the dollar store with my kids this week, looking for workbooks for them for roadtrips. I spotted a sudoku book. I reached for it and stopped, thinking "If I buy this, I'll never get any writing done."

Yeah, I bought it. Guess what I did last night without Internet access.

chanceofbooks said...

Blocks. Both my DH and I are slightly ashamed at what a nice repetitive stress reliever playing with Tavy's Duplos and building blocks are . . . DH likes the more adult puzzle cubes and that sort of thing.

My mother swears by crossword puzzles, but I lack that kind of patience.

Anonymous said...

Alice-- You should look into getting a DS Lite from Nintendo. They have tons of games to play for all ages and skills.

My aunt has one and she has tons of games now. She's 58. She swears by this gaming system. You can take it with you anywhere, and it's small. Several nice colors to choose from, and like I said, tons of games. I think it would be right up your alley.

Here's a link telling more about DS gaming systems...

http://www.nintendo.com/ds/what

I truly think you would love it. At least check it out. And maybe see if any of your grandkids have one yet that you could borrow for a test drive. :)

Also, you can test this sort of thing at Game Stop in the Albany mall. They are super helpful there and very knowledgeable about all things game related. Seriously, check it out. Maybe even better than Spider Solitaire.

And if you have any questions, you can always ask me and I'll ask my four boys or my dh. :)

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Sorry, Alice, I'm no help. I have no games on my computer. If I need a break--and my doggies tell me I when I do--I let the herd charge out back, bark at a few animals (real or imagined) and then bring them back in. Pathetic, I know. I really do need to take time to play. :)

Barbara said...

Now that we have potential grandchildren (13 and 15 years old), Jim and I have invested in the Nintendo Wii game system. It attaches to the TV and we have several discs of games. I play pool, golf and bowling on the Wii. Jim likes MarioKart, and we tried out the Outdoor Challenge games tonight on our 13-year old tomboy Meghan--it was a hit and wore her out. These games get us off the couch and give us some light exercise.

Jim can get lost for many hours in Ceasar III building Roman cities (kind of like the Sim City game set in ancient times).

I also like to take my camera outdoors and take photos of the emerging buds and blossoms.

Good luck finding a relaxing form of entertainment to rest and restore you until you're writing again, Alice.

Alice Sharpe said...

Here's the list:
not, nit, oft, ton, tin, tic, con, cot, ion, fin, fit, coin, coif, into, info, icon, font, tonic, fiction.

Eli -- what's the other five letter word?

Piper, I know about DSL -- I have an eight year old grandson, remember. Not looking for something to play with away from writing but to supplement writing down time while at the computer although I have long lusted for a DSL. Don't tell anyone but I have every Nintendo machine known to ma except for the latest. I am trying to hold out.

Kendra, my sister does Sudoku like you do. I can't do it.

Wavy, LOL, blocks, huh? I remember those days! As for crosswords -- I usually do the newspaper one while I fix dinner.

Genene, you do play, you just play with others (doggies!)

Barbara -- I expressed myself poorly. Away from the computer time is well spent. It's computer time I'm talking about. I spend eight hours a day here sometimes and can't fill every moment with fiction writing, the brain needs to take a break once and awhile. That's when I switch, like my friend, to a computer game, something mindless almost or at least something that engages another part of the brain, so I can keep going with the story. It works for me. I'm just looking for something other than solitaire and TextTwist to amuse me during those times!

My son loves his Wii. I am SO tempted!

Elisabeth Naughton said...

Alice, the other 5-letter word is 'ionic'.