
Current Project:Unnamed book
Status: hopeful
First check-in info. I think I finally have a start on the new book. Many, many fuzzy areas remain, but that's the way it almost always is at this stage. I hope your projects are occasionally kind to you, as well.
Speaking of projects -- we've been very loosey-goosey about challenges lately and I'm not proposing too much of a change, only a firm declaration of what you want to accomplish. This came about the other day when speaking with Lisa about Nationals. I said I wanted to be under contract by the time I went. Now, I know it sounds a long way off, but plotting two books and coming up with a decent synopsis, polishing it, sending it and hearing back from an overworked editor in three months could be unrealistic. Since I can't do anything about how long things take her, I can only take care of getting my ideas in shape in a timely method. By the end of April, for instance.
So, my self imposed challenge is to have organized my project by the end of April (short term) and signed on a dotted line by June (long term).
Lisa, I hope you check in today and declare your goal. I hope many others will, as well. Put it in writing, in your heart as well as in a public forum. Declare your intentions! (I know a couple of you have just met goals and are perhaps in a down time right now. If so, please check in anyway, and when something new starts burning in your heard, join the fun...)
I like the message that goes with the image up top. Challenge your life and bring yourself to life. Nice.
16 comments:
Got in some great writing time this week. Goals? Hmmm. First draft done by the time school is out. Mid June.
There's a long vacation in there where I know I will get nothing done.
Just counted. Eleven weeks til school is out. Maybe I won't make it. I like 10K a week, but I have to whip myself to get it done. I'll say done by Nationals.
Yea! Kendra, welcome to the challenge wagon. Pull your wagon 'round, Missy.
I love your goal. There's nothing like a first draft and then you get to go to Nationals and get all hyped up and start in on rewrites. Perfect!
Tell me about this long vacation.
Another timely blog, Alice! Ever since Pat Pritchard talked about goal setting at our last meeting, I've been evaluating my own goals. One thing that really struck a chord with me was how she sets a weekly word count goal for herself, because daily word goals are too difficult for her to meet (things come up, etc.). I realized that the same is true for me.
So, I'm finally ready to commit to a concrete goal. (Yay me!) My goal is to write a minimum of 6250 words per week. If I can meet or exceed that goal, I should be very close to completing a first draft by Nationals. I also promise to check in on Saturdays to let you know how I'm doing.
I think a challenge is just what we need, Alice!!
My goal between now and Nationals...just about 3 months...is to have this RS proposal off to my agent (hopefully in the next week or two), then have at least the first half of the paranormal complete. So for me, that's 200 pgs by early July.
Welcome aboard, Debbie. I think your goal of 6250 words a week is both ambitious and totally doable and I wish you great success. Plus, you're going to Nationals? Yippee! I think attending on the heels of meeting your goals will feel absolutely tremendous -- that's what I want for myself, too, that feeling.
Eli, glad you signed on! I know you'll meet your goals. Are you counting the weeks left in school the way Kendra is? (That made me LOL.)
Where in the heck is Lisa? I told her I was going to hound her -- she had fair warning!!!!
Thanks for putting goals on my mind, Alice. My writing really slides when I don't have a goal. I'm marking up my calendar right now so I'll know where I need to be.
Vacation. Kauai. 11 days at end of April. Nuff said.
I'm posting about this Wednesday b/c I'm working on a detailed plan entitled "GH 2010 or Bust" :)
My goal for next week is to find which contest I am entering in April and decide what needs to be done by the deadline. My other goal is to decide which WIP I am going to pursue. I will report back next Saturday.
I think I am going week by week with my goals right now b/c long range goals give me too much wiggle room. Two goals gives me a goal for Wednesday and a goal for Saturday. Hard to wiggle out of THAT.
Good luck!
Wavy: Your plan sounds iron clad. NO WIGGLING. As I mentioned, I promised (read:threatened) Lisa, and I will be happy to do the same for you! I like it: GH 2010 or Bust."
You need a bumper sticker....
Went to Princeton over the weekend so I'm late checking in. The good news, the verizon wireless thingamajig for internet is going to work when I get an antenna booster. So from now on while I'm there I should have internet! Woo Hoo!
My goal is to have the current WIP finished by the first of July. I'd say June but my Alaska daughter and her three will descend on me in May for two weeks. I'd like to have it done sooner, but we'll see.
Everyone has great goals! Thanks for keeping us motivated, Alice!
Alice -- yep, I'm going to Nationals! I've already signed up, have my hotel reservations and flight booked! I'm excited about going this year, more so even than last (my first).
Thanks for the challenge and holding us to be accountable!
I'm so happy to hear you have a start, Alice!!! Thanks for putting the challenge together - I'm looking for a swift kick to get going.
My goal will be to have finished my MS and gained PRO status before nationals.
Good luck everyone!
Thank heavens, Lisa finally showed up and declared herself!!!
Okay, girlie, go for it!!!!b I'm right behind you.
I'm making revisions to Mystic Taxi based on my agent's notes. Not too hard, but the proof is in the pudding, as they say. :)
All I have at this point for the next book in my steampunk series is a very basic concept and a "meh" title. So I'm not ready to start the WIP just yet. The working title is "Clockwork Cat" and the premise is: There's a new exorcist in town who doesn't want to kill demons, she wants to become one. And she has the means to make it happen.
Karen, OMG, I love the spin you put on things! That's wonderful, good luck, have fun, hope the agent loves "taxi."
Thanks, Alice! My agent loves Mystic so far, but she had understandable issues with the first 3 issues. I fixed them, so now I'm eager to hear what she thinks about the rest of the book. But she's been traveling over the past few days so I don't think she's been reading much.
Post a Comment