Monday, March 30, 2009

Character Fun


Current Project: Doctor in Petticoats
Status: page 102

I don't have anything pithy to say, so I thought we'd do something fun today. Get into our characters as it were.

Your character's vehicle is being towed for one of these three reasons:
1) By the police
2) Being Repossessed
3) As a joke.

Write a paragraph or two(depending on how much time you have or want to spend on this) in your character's POV about this happening either before, during, or after and show two of your character's character traits.

8 comments:

Paty Jager said...

I'll start the ball rolling-

Van stood on the boardwalk, not believing his eyes. The damn marshal was leading his team down the street. "Hey! Get back here with my team!" He'd only unloaded half of his merchandise and tools.

The marshal stopped and waved a paper. "We got an ordinance that wagons can't set in front of a business longer than an hour."

"Well, hell it took me half a day to load that wagon, I sure as hell can't get it unloaded in an hour." He knew good-n-well the judge had put the marshal up to this. He stomped down the street, climbed aboard the wagon, and nearly jerked the marshal off his feet, turning the horses and heading for the back alley. It would be cramped but he'd unload into the back of the store. He couldn't afford to pay every fine they concocted against him. And no doubt this was only the beginning of his woes as an ex-convict.

Alice Sharpe said...

Paty, LOL, I don't think I can do this yet. I don't know my new characters well enough.

It's obvious you know yours, however. The book sounds like great fun. I'll try to come up with something after I write today in the hope inspiration strikes!

Alice Sharpe said...

Oh, Paty, I didn't get very far today before I realized what a total mistake I made with certain assumptions which means I need to decamp and redefine my perimeters (sounds kind of like a war zone, no?) Nothing from me and from the looks of it, everyone else is a little Monday brain dead, too.

Elisabeth Naughton said...

LOL. I'm the same. I'm still working on the proposal and getting to know my characters. I'll have to think on this...how WOULD they respond???

Paty Jager said...

Looks like everyone had a busy Monday or hasn't been living with their characters long enough to "expose" them. LOL

I'm hoping for more writing time, because the character I have here is actually my novella hero and right now he is stronger in my head than the one I'm writing. Which makes for tough going at times.

Happy writing and premising, All!

chanceofbooks said...

I love this exercise, Paty. I'm sorry I didn't get to it yesterday. It reminds me that I need to go deeper with my characters. I'm trying to pick between several WIP right now, and character questions might help.

Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel said...

Hey, Paty!

Love your example! Looking forward to reading this novella. :)

Paty Jager said...

Glad I could help, Wavy! ;)

Genene, I can't wait to get the novella done! LOL It is the one that is haunting me!