As I've been reading over recent posts, I am reminded once again what a talented group of writers we have. Whether the words are tumbling over each other in their eagerness to tell a story or our keyboards gather dust as we struggle through blocks, we are writers.
I loved Alice's list from a couple days ago of what being a writer entails. In fact, I always enjoy her wisdom and willingness to share her perspective.
Writing is indeed a journey -- and sharing that journey. Not every step of the way, perhaps, but meeting along the way like explorers of our Western frontiers met at outposts to share news and gather provisions and encourage each other. Am I on the right track? What pitfalls might I face? How can I prepare to face the challenges ahead?
We may not be exploring uncharted continents, but we are exploring our internal landscapes, our emotions, our imaginations. Sometimes others serve as our guides. Sometimes as our partners or supporters. Sometimes just knowing others are facing the same struggles is enough to send us back to the keyboard every day to continue our journey.
Perhaps those blocked periods are a time to gather writing "provisions" like new ideas, fresh perspectives on our characters, or just to refill the creative well.
When we reach the end of our story journeys, other writers help us celebrate successes such as encouraging letters from editors or agents, positive reviews, hitting the bestseller lists or simply typing "the end."
Then we start a new journey -- because we are writers.
10 comments:
Yes, writing is a journey and one I wouldn't want to take without my friends at MWVRWA!
Great post Genene! If we're explorers, then lately I feel like Robert Falcon Scott who kept getting thwarted in his efforts to reach the South Pole. My students had to read an essay about him, and I totally identify with the whole freezing to death 11 miles from camp thing.But hey! He got stuff named after him. LOL.
Geez, I managed to delete my comment while trying to edit it. Some people can't be trusted with big machines.
Okay, I'll write it again.
Wavy, I can just see it:
The Wavybrain's Memorial Font.
The Wavy Typed Here Keyboard.
Genene, I love what you said about us all helping each other on this journey. I particularly love the image of us all meeting at the mercantile for a bit of companionship:
One of us says, "There's a swamp a mile yonder. You be careful. That muck will suck you in and mess with your words."
Another says, as she polishes off a mocha, "And I heard there's a storm brewing in the mountains. No messages from editors or agents can get through the pass."
A third one of us sighs deeply (she's been waiting to hear from said editors and agents) "And I saw a band of rowdies down near the river. They'll steal your ideas, so be careful."
Ah, silliness.
Alice
Well said Genene.
And you ladies are brilliant lights in my life that I look up to and follow on my journey.
Thanks.
LOL Alice. The Wavybrains Keyboard comes complete with petrified crumbs and crunchy mouse pad. The authentic touch you know.
My Indian Jones heroine loves this post, Genene. :)
Loved your silliness, Alice! And Wavy's comment about getting things named after her, complete with petrified crumbs! You're right -- the group at MWVRWA certainly makes the journey brighter and more fun.
Ha, Alice! Loved the Wavy memorial ideas.
Genene, it's true, isn't it? A journey of 100,000 words. (or in my case, 90,000!) Each time it starts with that first step, that first word.
Here's to hitchin' my horse next to yours, all you ladies of the MWVRWA chapter, Danita says as she raises her tin-cup mocha (in the wild west?) and clinks it (do tin cups clink?) against all your tin cups. And then we should all probably spit on the ground, or something. Didn't they do a lot of spitting around the turn of the century? The only part I'm sure about is the horses.
Now we know why I leave the western historical writing to Paty. Ha!
Post a Comment