We all have them. Bits and pieces of books and movies floating around in our minds -- those lines that stick.
I recently bought the DVD "Stand by Me". Its a favorite of mine, a coming-of-age movie based on a novella called "The Body" by Stephen King. It's filmed largely in Brownsville, part of my old stompin' grounds, so it's close to my heart.
After rewatching it the other night, the lines that stuck were these -- when main character, Gordy LaChance pulls a 45 revolver on gang leader, and all-around bad guy, Ace:
"Suck my fat one, Ace. You cheap, dime store hood."
Gordy cocks the gun (no pun intended), to show he means business, and Ace calls off his gang and leaves.
Gordy's best friend, Chris Chambers says, "Whoever told you you had a fat one, LaChance?"
"Biggest one in four counties," Gordy says.
So, why do those lines stick in my head? Not for their sophisticated aspect, that's for sure. The first line is even a little stilted, almost unrealistic for a 12-year-old to utter. But finding the nerve to say those words, to pull back the hammer on that gun is a major accomplishment for this skinny little kid whose whole world was recently shaken when his big brother died and his parent went catatonic.
In our own RWA chapter, Paty's love scenes are what stick in my head after I read her stories. She's good at writing these scenes.
Alice has a beautifu way of describing the moment one character falls in love with another. (Please forgive me Alice, for not getting this word-for-word, or remembering which books they came from).
It was as if he'd opened a thousand tiny locks with a thousand tiny keys.
Her body shone with a dozen shades of silver.
Anyway, again I apologize if I slaughtered your lines, Alice. But it isn't always the exact words that readers remember, it's the thrust, the idea or image created by the line that stays with us.
Here's a couple more that have stuck with me:
This one by a mle writer (Can't remember his name, the book, "Jane's House" is on loan to Paty, maybe she can help me out). The protagonist is remembering his petite wife, Jane, now dead:
She was a woman. A waif. A wife.
Simple lines, but they painted a poignant picture for me of this man's love and loss.
Nicolas Sparks writes a line about a female character stepping from the shower, towling off then applying lotion to her arms and legs. When I read the line, I thought "Wow, this guy is really in touch with his feminine side. Did he watch his wife do this, or ask her what parts of her body to which she applied lotion?"
And who can forget classic lines like, "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore." and "There's no place like home. There's no place like home." Or Rhett Butler's infamous, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
So, here are my questions to you: How do you think we, as writers, can create the kind of lines that live on in reader's minds after they close the covers of our books? What is it that makes lines stick in your head? And please, share some of your favorite lines.
11 comments:
My apologies for being "MIA" as Paty put it. Just had my head down to get my book finished and out the door, so have avoided the distractions of the internet. Finally blogged on my personal blog after two months of avoiding it too.
Okay, this is funny, gotta share: My DH, who is supportive of my writing, but rarely ever pays much attention to it really, came up behind me while I was posting just now and read outloud, which line? Ah, yes, the 'suck my fat one, Ace' line.
It cracked him up royal.
He asked, "What are you doing, writing erotica?"
Double Ha!
Last night, I had to go pull "Gone to Far" by Brockmann off the shelf because of one line stuck in my head, "Bang, I think your head just exploded." But, see, that line is nothing without the context that surrounds it. It's memorable b/c it's the only romance scene I can think of where a character has a little trouble . . . performing so to speak. Brockmann's work is littered with memorable lines b/c they are just so perfect for the situation and the characters. That's how you write memorable lines---not by trying to be wity or pithy, but by constantly asking yourself, "is this right for this character?" When even the narrative is perfectly matched to that character, your chances of memorable lines are way increased. A memorable line also evokes emotion. Think Jerry Maguire. I can quote whole sections of this movie, and Breakfast Club, and a few others, because they are just so spot on with emotions.
I'm blushing! BTW- I haven't read Jane's House yet. I've been too busy with writing and editing- but it's on the pile TBR.
A line from my own book that cracks me up is in MIP when Darcy and her brother have been thrown off the train and they've been found by Gil's brothers. One makes a comment about her contrariness and the brother spouts, "She's been like that ever since her dress caught fire." It cracks me up every time I think about it.
Okay, other people's writing- hmm... you know I don't think there's any one line- it's more the people and the feelings they evoke in me that makes me remember a book.
I can relate to the protective mother instincts in Danita's latest WIP, the need to find out about their family in Alice's twins books, and finding her inner vixen in the Karen Tabke book I read. Those stories have stayed with me as well as Nora Roberts Born In Trilogies. And the angst of the hero in Patricia Rice's Magic Man.
But sentences or saying- nada!
This is a great topic, Danita. It made me think about books I've read and what I am writing.
Glad it made you think, Paty. Ha!
Another line that stands out, is one word: "Fu#k!" exclaimed by Sue Grafton's character, Kinsey Milhone. (Can't remember which letter of the alphabet) The antagonist, an older woman, just shot at her, hit a china cabinet and the glass exploded. The line is so effective because (I believe) it's the only time the F word is used in the book. Definitely the only time Kinsey used it.
Cusswords are great for their shock value. The fewer used, I think, the better they are when you use them.
Wavy, I think you're right in your observations, about hitting on the correct emotions of each individual character.
I haven't read Brockmann. Will have to.
What a fun post, Danita. I love those lines you quoted and what your DH said is hilarious. "What are you doing, writing erotica?" I'm rolling on the floor from that one!! Too funny!
I know there's a million lines and sayings that have stuck with me, but right now I'm positively blank. They'll come to me at two in the morning, I'm just sure of it.
Congrats on finishing your book and getting it out the door.
Paty-- I love that line from your book! It's such a male response. LOL
Piper, when the lines come to you at 2 in the morning, girl, just log on and post them here. Heck, we don't care what time you post. Ha!
Danita--Good to have you back and thanks for quoting me more or less. I'm touched that a line I wrote was memorable to you.
I can't think of lines in particular, but I have reread books and re-watched movies just to get to a particular scene, sometimes one line. Sometimes I don't even realize that's why I crave re-experiencing something until I come across the line or scene or passage and something inside me kind of clicks with pleasure, I've had my fix.
Wonderful post, don't be gone so long again!
Alice
But congrats on finishing your book and getting it "out the door." That's major cool.
Danita, I wish I could remember some memorable lines from books I've read because they were, uh, memorable at the time. I'd even dog-eared the page! But I think so much is in my head already that their memorability has time limit. Sigh.
Movie lines are easier to recall because everyone remembers them and repeats them... a lot. "Show me the money!" "Hasta la vista, baby." "I'll be back." "Never give up, never surrender."
I can only hope I write memorable lines in my stories. My critique group points out the ones they especially like, and that's always nice to hear. At the time I write them, they certainly stick with me.
Thanks, Danita, for a fun blog post! 8^)
Alice,
I know what you mean about certain scenes in books or movies really resonating.
Glad to be back.
And yes, mother, I'll try not to be absent again.
HA!
yep, Karen, lines like "Go ahead, make my day" or "The name's Bond. James Bond. Martini. Shaken, not stirred" become somewhat trite with the oversuse, but we still watch Clint Eastwood or 007 flicks, hoping, knowing, waiting to here them say it, don't we?
Post a Comment