I don't know how many times I've been dinged in a contest because I used a cliche. Use your own original words, they say. Sometimes there is no better way to say something than a cliche.
So: Here's the test. What's another way to say these:
Easy as pie
it goes without saying
thorn in the side
What goes around comes around
Shit happens
Live and learn
all is fair in love and war
Beauty is only skin deep
Now it's your turn to say these differently.
9 comments:
Great post, Paty. And thanks for doing today's blog.
I like to replace cliches with either a play on words that make the similarity to a cliche obvious (but hopefully clever), or an entirely new simile that goes with the story and situation.
Easy as pie / simple as fudge
it goes without saying / no need for words
thorn in the side / splinter in the ass
what goes around comes around / give it and get it back
shit happens / crap occurs
live and learn / live it first, learn it later
all is fair in love and war / all's fair in sex and gossip
beauty is only skin deep / beauty is just the skin that covers something deeper
I'd actually change these to fit the character and story, but these are generic examples of that.
Karen
Not a problem, I was on the road earlier today or I could have had it up sooner. ;)
Some good comebacks, but you know - some of them sound like cliches... LOL It is so hard to get away from them and yet it is the way people think and talk.
In my own writing I'm really guilty of abusing cliches, but after teaching a while and suffering through many essays where students use cliches every single sentence and mix them up to boot, I've become more serious about cracking down on them. But, I admit, I'm really bad about using them for humor/affect both on my own blog and this one. Bad me.
In many cases you can eliminate cliches with direct language or adding exact descriptions.
Easy as pie--Simple, Easy, Quick, or be exact about why (5 seconds, 10 dollars, no haggling)
it goes without saying--implied, unstated, or be exact about body language (His eyes conveyed his dissatisfaction)
thorn in the side--nuisance, bother, trouble, pest or be exact (He followed her from room to room like her old dog, Shady, and he smelled just as bad. This was going to be a long day.)
What goes around comes around--revenge, karma, fate, deserve or be exact (Fate stepped in in the form of a tornado. Which was appropriate since many of Edna's fellow committee members felt like flimsy trailers standing in her wake).
Shit happens--move on, deal, accept, or show with body language (he shrugged and went on with his day).
Live and learn--learn, grow, or be exact as to what (Damn. Never wear pantyhose in 90 degree weather.)
all is fair in love and war--fair, just, fair play, turnabout or be exact as to what/why/how (Her snooping was justified, she reassured herself. After all, he'd seen her naked).
Beauty is only skin deep--superficial, plastic, artificial, or be specific as to why. (She consoled herself with the idea that Bambi's tits would need a tune up in 100,000 miles).
This was a super fun exercise!!! Thanks!
LOL- Wavy, great changes! I loved the last one!
Geez Wavy, I bow to you. Your reponse to the exercise was great.
I, however, have no cliché helps. Sorry.
Karen-- Unfortunately for me, there's no such thing as simple fudge. I always seem to screw up the easiest of fudge recipes. LOL
Thanks guys! We need more exercises on the blog again! I felt my brain working and it felt great! Been too damn long.
Oh Piper! Fudge is easy! It's that darn divinity that I can't handle!
I'll see what I can come up with for my real day of blogging, Wavy.
Wavy--Wow, you did a great job.
I'm not going to worry about this exercise, but I agree with you that exercise blogs can be fun. Good job, Paty.
Alice
I can't top Wavy, or Karen. Hat's off to you both.
Fun blog, Paty. Especially on such short notice. Good job!
Post a Comment